a slight occurance......... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a slight occurance......... a slight occurance.........

Unread 09-02-2004, 03:17 PM
a slight occurance.........

I'm 6 weeks post op now many of you have read my post off and on through out my recovery.....

Just curious if anyone else who had incisions on the sides of there tummies have had stiches grow out???????

I noticed a few weeks ago a long stitch just hanging there so I cut it off........a week later it was grown out again my husband started looking at it and (he can't leave anything alone,,,,Hes a picker so to speak) (That sounded gross didn't it?) anyway he got some tweezers and pulled on it ..he was asking does that hurt and i think its numb so I couldn't feel it..He even stated it sure looks like it hurts....(What a man) anyway it popped out KNOT and all and left a small hole there where the knot was keeping it from healing..(I thought these dissolved)....Anyway yesterday I noticed a crusty like stuff in my belly button I cleaned it out with peroxide boy did it bubble.....as I rubbed over it with a q-tip it busted.....I know TMI But I was confused no the less..I went to clean it out last night and there was a white string hanging there..yep it was another stitch I pulled it out knot and all......

Has anyone else starting growing stitches???
were these not suppose to dissolve?
or am I just special? Doctor never even checked my incisons when I went for my 3 week check up and she said well your all done with me you don't ever have to see me again...So that led me to believe the stitches would go away on there own...........? I was wrong??????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2004, 03:43 PM

I noticed the other day a stitch poking out. I was not brave enough to pull on it though LOL. It has sinced disappeared. I did asked my Dr.'s pa about it and she said that that would happen for the next few weeks...I thought that the stitches dissolved, not worked themselves out. Hmmmmm....what do I know. LOL

Good Luck to you!

Tasha
Unread 09-03-2004, 08:38 AM

Hi Sisters
After my last laparoscopy I did "grow" stitches.

The one in my belly button had been sticking out the whole time, with the knot right at skin level. One day I just decided to pull on it, and it came right out. Apparently the part that is inside you does eventually dissolve, but if there's some sticking out of the skin, then that will eventually just fall off, or you can pull it out.

Another stitch I had, just looked like a blackhead right under the skin. I pressed on it, and it popped right out.

Don't panic....the stitches only come out when they're ready

Northlights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2004, 06:39 AM

Thank you for this post. I too have a stitch in near my incision and I thought about pulling it and have decicded to wait until I see the dr tomorrow. I am having my 5 weeks checkup!

Unread 09-14-2004, 08:12 AM

3 weeks post LAVH and I have "suture material" sticking out of two of my incisions also. I have been so tempted to yank these, but decided to wait for my check up to have the dr. do it. Good to hear other sisters have these sticking out of their incisions too.
Unread 09-14-2004, 08:50 AM

I had a tummy tuck with TAH August 31st and my plastic surgeon told me absolutely no tampering with any tapes or stitches. I had a drain in until Tuesday Sept 7th when he removed it. To my astonishment, he just yanked off a loose tape at that appointment! The spot where the drain was weeped a little bit for a day. My incision is hip to hip, really long. I had 12 pounds of belly and fat removed. If it weren't for my bust, I could see my feet!!! He had moved my belly button, so it has a circle of stitches around it. Those stitches are coming to the surface, and are white. I personally think that the part of the stitches that is totally underneath the skin is moist and dissolves. If the air hits it, I don't think it can be worked on by the body, and the skin sloughs it off. My, our bodies are amazing, aren't they?

Just like some people can stand hot peppers while others can't, I believe some people's bodies are able to dissolve stitches faster and better than others. Just my opinion here.
Unread 09-14-2004, 08:59 AM

A tummy tuck and TAH. Well, I didn't think of that when they did my surgery.

While I only had a LSH, I didn't even think to enquire about plastic surgery at the same time.

What a great idea!
Unread 09-14-2004, 09:15 AM
cut dont pull

Hi, dont pull them out cut them. I had the same thing happen after my lap. my hyst i had staples with a veritcal incision. If the drainage is yellow or green that is a sign of infection, or if the area is red and swollen or warm to touch. If this area gets worse or you see the green or yellow drainage, call your doc. I've been through the infection route and it is not a party. take it easy, this may a sign you are pushing your recovery. take care and good luck, carol
Unread 09-14-2004, 09:39 AM

my DD had her first surgery at two days of age, second at six weeks. Now, at nine years old, she still occasionally will "spit" a suture from her scar tissue .

DO NOT PULL! They will continue to emerge on their own, by the incision healing from the inside on out.

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register