got my CA 125 results, it's 6!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

got my CA 125 results, it's 6!!! got my CA 125 results, it's 6!!!

Unread 12-14-2000, 05:07 AM
got my CA 125 results, it's 6!!!

Well, my CA 125 was six!!!!! Extremely good!

So now...I have this 1.8 size "complex hemmoragic cyst"on one ovary with "borderline thickening of endometrium".

My next appt. is for another pelvic Dec. 21. The nurse said they might give me the option to wait 6 weeks and get another ultrasound of that ovary. OR, I can opt for a TAH BSO.

Why do they leave it up to me? What do I know??? (Laparoscopy is out of the question due to an abdominal mesh, so he cannot "look" at that ovary.) I feel like I'm in Vegas, pick a number, any number...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2000, 10:04 AM

That is wonderful you are only a six!! As for such a big decision to make, how about a list. You know..put all of your ideas on paper and then you can weigh things out better. I think that you probably know in your heart what you will decide already!
Unread 12-14-2000, 02:52 PM

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2000, 09:20 PM

That's really wonderful. It means it's probably not one of the aggressive ovarian cancers. And that's a terrific relief.

But some of the nonaggressive ones don't register in the blood tests (mine for instance). So, depends on your tolerance for risk. If it's noninvasive you do have some wait and see what it does time. Which would give you time to organize some support. Mine grew in size over a month, so that helped my decision.

Unread 12-20-2000, 05:42 PM
hello ladies

Hi.. My GYN told me to go for an ultrasound and they discovered my cyst was definately growing this time on my ovary.. he said went from a 5 to a 20 .. whatever that means.. and that was the last straw.. so Friday Dec 29 is my date for a TAH.. now my concern is that it might be cancer.. does cancer grow quickly???? this is.. my cat scan was done tuesday, dec 19..im still waiting to hear results.. im so nervous!

I also found out that the dr put out a report to the radiologist that my uterus was the size of a uterus in a gestation period of 18 weeks!!! thats a big bouncing baby cyst.. well i will hopefully find out more tomorrow ..

Keep in touch ladies.. i will too.. Love

angela*
Unread 12-20-2000, 05:46 PM
hi ladies..

Its me again.. i was just wondering if cancer grows quickly or slowly.. are there any symptoms i should know about..

ang
Unread 12-20-2000, 11:11 PM

Hysterical:

I've not been reading posts for awhile, so I feel like I'm sort of coming in on the middle of a previous converation but.... it seems like ovarian cancer is your main concern, but have you had an endometrial biopsy for endometrial cancer? I ask because you mention "borderline" thickening of the lining, and then I see in a different post you say that your periods aren't regular. There's a definite possibility here of endometrial cancer. Please, please, get an endometrial biopsy immediatley if you haven't had one! If you've got endometrial CA, that settles the question - you need a hysterectomy. Once they were in there I would think there is a way to tell if the ovaries are cancerous or not.... but if fertility is not an issue you would probably want to go ahead and have them out, under the circumstances.

To the other poster: cancer can grow either quickly or slowly.

Terry
[Edited by TerryJ on 12-21-2000]
Unread 12-21-2000, 05:17 AM

Thanks for your replies. I've thought about and suspected endometrium problems since it's "thickened". Although my periods are painless, but heavy. I skipped this last period so from what I understand, taking another ultrasound probably won't happen since menstration is what changes the size of harmless cysts. I could have another ultrasound only to find out just how fast it may have grown. All and all, what I feel in my heart, is.......get it all removed. When I was told I had a "complex cyst" and researched just what that meant, I made up my mind. The tubes and uterus, etc. will all come out and I will feel cancer free. They will take abdominal nodes. There will be a pathology report afterward which MAY say "hey, none of this was cancerous and this often happens" at which point I will not plan on any regrets for electing to have the surgery. I get on the schedule with today's office appt. unless Doc says he definately has to wait for more ultrasounds (insurance requirements). So I will soon be crowned.

My problem was with my mother, or lack of her. And my 4 yr. old. I'm going to ask the Doc about after surgery care, i.e. going into a facility for a few days. I don't tend to recover well (adhesions infections in past 2 abdominal surgeries). As for the demands of my son, my family will have to worry about it. I'm putting him into 8-6 M-F montessori school, which he cries about. He is very sensitive to the noise. There are 53 kids and he's an only child. If they cannot cope with him after 6pm then I don't know!!!! My poor little guy is taking the brunt of my surgery.
Unread 12-26-2000, 01:52 PM

sftembrcz you sound anxious, and well you should be. I was there several months ago. It sounds like you have only til the end of this week. 10 days or so is not an unusual wait, and that amount of time rarely makes a whole lot of difference. If it needed to come out today, your doc would have told you. Have you had your pre-surgical testing and pelvic exam yet? Your doc will give you ct sound results at that appointment. Please relax, and good luck!

Unread 12-26-2000, 06:00 PM

I'm scheduled for another ultrasound Jan. 9 to check the "complex cyst". First ultrasound was Nov. 27. My doc is freaked out about my abdominal mesh (8x10 hernia repair). He usually would cut vertically and take sampling of abdominal nodes, plus visually take out suspicious looking ovarian surrounding tissue. He says "we will cross it when we get to it, may have to do a vaginal hysterectomy". I'm thinking this....take it all vaginally (if the cyst is still complex) send the organs to the lab. If they come back cancerous, let me heal a bit with the internal stitches. Then, go back abdominally to remove any "leftovers". If the organs come back clear, then great.

I just don't want my mesh cut into unless it's absolutely life or death, as it was a hellish surgery and my body almost rejected the mesh the first time since it's so large. Estrangulated hernias are life threatening. (I was re-admitted in poor health after the mesh was first put in, internal bleeding, infection) I just hope it's not cancer because of the time factor, dragging out...makes me nervous.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register