Tummy ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Tummy ?

I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow. My belly is still swollen like really soft too, and before I had pretty good abs. Will it go down more? Today at the Y where I work out someone told me I should be wearing tight pants now or zipper pants to help it get back to normal but I am still tender and prefer drawstring right now. She also said that I should try wearing a girtle if i spelled that right and that might help get back to normal. Can anyone tell me if I should be wearing some sort of support on my tummy to help swelly belly go down. It's not huge but it is still puffy and of course tender still too. Any feedback on this from anybody??????? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Tummy ?

I had a abdominoplasty with the hyster, and the plastic surgeon said the swelling would take about 4 months to get to what it will look like. I would assume that is true for the hyster too-he only had me wear a band for two weeks.

I wouldn't wear tight pants if it hurt, whether it would help it go down or not-I would hate to be uncomforable. My stomach still swells more after I have been active all day, and when I exercise.

I was not able to even lay on my side for the first month or more because it just hurt too much with the swelling I guess.

Just try and be patient, it will go back down in time.
Unread 09-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Tummy ?

I did ask the doctor to make my incision and do a tummy tuck as much as she could as far as if she could do anything that would make it nicer to do it. LOL She said of course she couldn't do lipo but she would do a lil something but never really explained. I did notice my incision looks better than it did after my c-section looks thinner also i have no stitches on the outside and it tucks in from the inside and they are inside internally. So I hope when all is healed it looks better. I know I know this sounds so vain but dang after all that ya want something pretty plus the fact no more periods will be nice at 38 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2004, 07:11 PM
re. Tummy?

Regarding whether or not to wear a girdle or tight pants to help tummy go down, I would suggest not. The muscles will not strengthen by being restrained. They will only grow weaker. (Remember the flabby tummies on girdle-wearing women in the 50's and 60's?) Best to thoroughly heal, then strengthen the muscles with exercise when you are able to.
Unread 09-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Tummy ?

Swertz 38, you are going to the gym at 4 weeks post op? Wow. I am about 4 1/2 weeks and couldn't even think about going back to the gym. I am jealous. Also, my belly seems to have swollen up even more in the past week than prior, but mine seems kind of hard, not soft like you describe. I went shopping yesterday for bigger pants because all of my pants are too tight (even though I have lost a little weight). Just going shopping and trying on clothes nearly did me in. I can't imagine going back to the gym yet. Are you doing crunches? I have read here that those can make swelly belly worse if you start too soon.

Susan
Unread 09-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Tummy ?

Hi SusanS,
I was operated on the same day you were (complete hysterectomy, uterus, ovaries, cervix, tubes, etc.) and am experiencing the same swollen belly, sort of hard around the incision (mine is about 10 inches across, with the sutures on the inside.) I was just thinking how strange it is that it swells and goes down a bit several times a day. I can't drive comfortably yet and have been doing a little work from home because there is little stamina for a day at the office. It'll be a while before I even feel like working out, I suspect. My belly is still fairly sore. I did buy an abdominal support wrap to wear when I walk or am going to be on my feet for a while (cooking or doing light chores.) It seems to help support me enough that I don't strain my back, but I wouldn't keep it on for too long. It's like everything else about this surgery - it all takes a lot of time!
Unread 09-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Tummy ?

The answer to your question as far as going back to the gym I got the ok by my physician at my 2 week incision check she gave me the ok to do what my body could handle. She did not ok anything high impact nor was crunches/abs okd yet until after I have my 6 week check up. She did say I could walk on the treadmill, and do small weights and bands nothing over 20 pounds. I worked out for 3 years before my surgery regularly and kickboxing twice a week which I was in really good shape before my surgery which I think has helped in my recovery. I also started a Tai Chi class to help my recovery with it is for relaxation. My swelly belly tends to be the worst in the late afternoon which I usually get in my recliner and put my feet up and that helps. I pretty much walked from day one as soon as they told me to walk the hospital floor I was up walking it helped so much with the gas and still does. I hope my belly goes back to being flat like before surgery because I put in a lot of work outs to get it to the point it was at. I'm a weight watchers girl lifetime member and love my work outs so staying idle has been hard on me but I realize I can't jump into what I did before but I can't wait until my tummy comes back to normal.
Unread 09-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Tummy ?

Yona,
I was happy to read your post, since I had my surgery about three weeks after yours. My incision is hard too, about the same length as yours, and I have the puffy belly. I asked a friend who had the same total TAH/BSO a few years ago, and she said yes, the belly does go down, but you have to be patient. I would like to start doing Tai Chi too once I am recovered.

But really, I guess I don't care that much for vanity, but rather for comfort. At 51, I look good, but I am not going to try to look 25 again!
Ann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register