nail polish | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-07-2004, 05:07 PM
nail polish

How many of you have been told that you can't have polished nails? (OK, my surgery is on Friday and I guess I'm distracting myself with the less important issues ). I've been trying to pamper myself this week and had a mani/pedi today. I've heard that polished nails are sometimes not allowed. Anyone know anything about this oh so vital issue?

Margot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
nail polish

Yes I was told no polish on fingers or toes. I have acrylic nails and was able to leave them on , just no polish.

Linda
Unread 09-07-2004, 05:39 PM
nail polish

Interesting question!

I wonder if it's because some of the chemicals in the polish might interfere with the anesthesia. I think that's the reason why I was told not to wear deodorant as well. Either that, or it could be that they don't want us wearing polish because of the clip they put on our fingers to measure oxygen levels in our blood.

Anyone else have any ideas?

nmil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2004, 05:42 PM
nail polish

I believe that they need to be able to check the color of your nails for oxygen levels....
Unread 09-07-2004, 05:49 PM
nail polish

I just left my preop and the hospital and they said nail polish ok!! Maybe all are different, I know in the 70's no way for all the reasons you all mentioned, they said all body piercings out and no jewelery though.....Hugs, D
Unread 09-07-2004, 06:08 PM
nail polish

I had my nails and toes does the day before surgery. Was able to leave it on. Really made me feel better!
Unread 09-07-2004, 06:18 PM
nail polish

Your own hospital has its own policy concerning nail polish. I've never in my 30+ years of nursing have known of a hospital that allows patients undergoing general anethesia to wear nail polish. While we use more sophisticated equipment to check oxygen levels than looking at the nail beds, we still do look at the nail bed to give a quick assesement of perfusion.

Call your hospital's admitting office and ask their policy. That's the only way of knowing what will be required in your own circumstance.
Unread 09-08-2004, 12:16 AM
nail polish

Quote:
Originally posted by maribel
Call your hospital's admitting office and ask their policy. That's the only way of knowing what will be required in your own circumstance.

Maribel is right.

Call your hospital to be sure what applies to YOUR situation.

good luck!
Unread 09-08-2004, 05:36 AM
nail polish

Hi Margot,
I definetly welcome the distraction!! As for the nails, I had a french manicure yesturday with only top coat yesturday. I was told no polish on nails or toes, so I'll take the shine off in the morning.

Luv & Blessings,
Marysa
Unread 09-08-2004, 06:52 AM
nail polish

I use one of those fancy nail file things to give me a good shine, so I'll do without polish, too....

But what do you mean about body piercings? I'll have to stay up all night just taking them out! My eyebrows, my nose, my tongue, my.......you get the idea. (I'm just kidding, sisters! I'm such a chicken, I didn't even want my second EAR pierced after they did the first one!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register