TAH/BSO - "Better Late Than Never" Castle Story! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO - "Better Late Than Never" Castle Story! TAH/BSO - "Better Late Than Never" Castle Story!

Unread 09-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Better Late than Never Castle Story!

Hi everyone, first I want to thank you all for all the support that I received from my wonderful sisters here. This site was the greatest for helping me prepare and it made the whole thing go a lot smoother because I was actually ready for anything at that point.

My problems started at age 12 when my appendix burst and they found blood clots and cysts attached to an ovary during the emergency surgery. My first visit from Aunt Flo at age 10 was one to remember as well considering I bled for almost 2 weeks and actually thought I was dying, should have known then I was doomed to pain and problems. It was not always as bad when I was on BC but they did not stop it entirely. Many visits to many Drs. who would do laproscopic to take care of the cysts and whatever else they found at the time would only result in a few months of less bleeding and less pain, lo and behold it always returned. I am now 49 had started going through pre-menopause when I was in my 30's, other symptoms now instead of just pain and very frequent visits. Just wanted to hit menopause and hoping that all my symptoms would disappear, never got there. Too many drs are under the assumption that age is an important issue in these matters, sometimes it is because there are women who do not want to face never having children or having another child and that is totally understandable. I however was not one of them and because of age so many times was denied having a semi normal life without pain for the years that I have had to endure it. It finally came that because my PCP had not entirely listened to my complaints and prescribed something that I should not have been on at the time realized that with my symptoms still in full force after my 3 month recheck that something was not quite right. Finally got my referral that I needed. One pelvic exam later by a gynecologic surgeon (this was after having my regular one done every year and they never really looked down there only did the pap) and he asked about pain, bladder leak amongst many other symptoms that I had been complaining about for a long time, well he had me off to the labs the same day for tests, pelvic ultrasounds and others. He already explained prior to the lab tests that I had prolapse of the bladder and other issues that he needed all the lab reports to confirm, discussed surgery briefly. Well after they were all in he found prolapsed uterus, bladder (cystocele) which was obvious because it was in the opening of my vagina and enterocele (small intestine) and large fibroids. So next visit was a biopsy and surgery discussion, biopsy was benign the surgery was set for a TAH/BSO, vag vault suspension with cystocele and enterocele repairs suspension.

Ok ladies I will tell you that the time I had to wait for the surgery from July 1, 2004 to August 24th was the worst time of my life and finding this site was a godsend, it actually kept me sane. I knew there was finally going to be an end in sight to the misery I had been experiencing. I had been tired all the time, pain that was debilitating, periods that seemed to last forever when they stopped they were back a week later. Well on the 23rd I was to do my bowel prep and douche, I actually got lucky no yucky stuff to drink, had to do an enema, couldn't sleep and was very thirsty. reported to the Castle at 5:30 am on the 24th, went through the registration again since I had already pre-registered a week earlier it was basically the signing and the confirming everything was correct and wrist tagging. They were great at the intake very comforting and helpful. Went to the surgical waiting area was not there that long and off to the holding where they had me get undressed and put on their gown and funny slip proof booties, handed me a hat that was to be put on my head before they wheeled me in to surgery. Everyone came to talk to me, same questions over and over again to ensure no mistakes as far as my allergies were concerned, well it was a little later than 7:30 which was my scheduled surgery because we were missing the anesthesiologist and they had the room set up with latex gloves, catheters, bandages and etc, I have a latex allergy so they had to reset the OR, That would not have been caught if each did not come out and discuss all this with me over and over again. The IV was put in and they finally located the anesthisiologist he came in and was talking to me walked around me for a second and then said it was time to go, I had started feeling cold and strange like I was floating. They were wheeling me away and put some warm blankets on me when I asked him if he was going to give me a sedative first, he laughed and said that he already had when he walked behind me for that short period of time, last thing I remember until I woke up in recovery. Was in recovery for 5 hours they figured around 3 but had to wait longer for my room, first thing I said when I woke up to the recovery room nurse the catheter was hurting me and I was thirsty. Explained to me that the catheter complaint was common and that I would receive ice chips later when the dr said it was ok and I was in my room, went back to sleep. She said something to me several times and then she informed me that I was finally going to my room. Was wide a wake at that point and when I arrived in my room they asked if I could move myself onto my bed or did I want them to do it, I wanted to do it by myself so they let me. Was not in any pain actually more pressure and discomfort, I will say the catheter was the only pain I was feeling it did not feel like it was in right. They checked it, there was some bleeding they thought it was vaginal so it was left as it was. I was up in the bed, washed myself up to make me feel better and even applied some mascara and blush. The nurses were amazed and said they found it hard to believe that I had surgery just a few hours before, well all the hook-ups and a 9 inch incision on my belly confirmed that. I was doing great, walked that night at midnight and again at 4 am and afterwards when I felt like it which I did on my after I got them to unplug my pump from the wall. They complained more about me not using the pump than anything, I did not want to because it wired me up and would not let me sleep but the pain level would reach around 6 and the nurse would push it herself telling me that if I did not start using it when I was in pain they would start injecting it into my IV by needle and remove the pump so I would be getting the full dose at one time. So needless to say I only slept a total of 3 hours maybe my entire castle visit after I woke up in recovery, thank goodness they let me go on Thursday.

The nurses were great to me, the assistants were awesome, the food or lack of sucked that Tuesday and Wednesday but by Wednesday evening I had my IV gone and had a solid meal, they prescribed Darvocet for the pain which I took 2 x orally it also had reverse reaction on me I was walking the halls and the nurses were keeping me company in my room because I couldn't sleep. Thursday at 6 am they removed the catheter this was after many complaints of it hurting and the dr saying he could not remove it yet because I had bladder repair so they attempted it to see if my bladder would work on its own, it did and they did not have to put it back in. My Doc said he had to go home and brag about me to his wife because Wednesday he had asked me to cough and I did without fear of the pain I coughed so hard and from so deep he said he felt it, I felt it but I knew I had to keep my lungs clear so I did what they told me to with the spirometer thing and the deep breathing and coughing stuff. I went home on Thursday, minimal pain except for when I coughed, never got any pain meds filled stuck with my Tylenol Extra Strength OTC. And here I am, was not sleeping so was in some major discomfort but not really pain, gas was horrible but controlled with Gas X, took stool softeners so my BM's were easier to handle. This past week I have slept a lot and have had less discomfort, my 2 week post-op is tomorrow, I will finally discuss the surgery and what all he did the path report and so on, really did not want to discuss it afterwards when he said that surgery went pretty good as opposed to very well I told him we could discuss it another time. Maybe tomorrow I will be graduated to doing more than sitting and watching TV and wearing out my carpet in a pattern because it is hard to not keep walking in the same areas when that is where I have to walk. Ok this has turned into a novel and I really did not want to make it this long, waited until I could actually sit for a long time at my puter without pacing from boredom and lack of concentration. Again I guess it all boils down to I feel good actually, tired at times but not like when I had the aliens in me, I can tell the difference and it is amazing. Ladies the waiting was the hardest part until after and now the wanting to do more than I am suppose to is the hardest. Again thanks and I do feel this was the best decision I ever made for myself.

To all you out there still waiting hang in there, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register