hot flashes is that what IM having???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hot flashes is that what IM having???? hot flashes is that what IM having????

Unread 09-08-2004, 11:04 PM
hot flashes is that what IM having????

OKay someone help me.... IM having this feeling like my insides are very hot and then my upper lip starts to sweat and then my entire face gets flushed... IM also not sleeping I lay down sleep about an hour and 1/2 then wake up about midnight or so, then I cant sleep at night, until about 5 in the morning... IM I crazy, is this the pre stages of menopause the MD said I would go through??? Does anyone know, can anyone help describe to me what the whole menapause thing feels like.
Would love to hear all thoughts and inputs.
Thanks
Stephers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2004, 11:28 PM

Sounds like what I was having before my surgery without the HRT and they called it hot flashes. He started me on HRT a week before my surgery so they would be in my system and resumed them that evening after so far no hot flashes. As far as the sleeping goes I am like you on that my clock is so messed up with the extra resting I don't know when I am suppose to be awake or asleep. If I don't rest during the day then I am worthless for a couple. Were you put on HRT? I am not sure how long it takes to know if it is going to be effective or not and they sometimes need to be adjusted like a lot of meds. Check with your doc. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

s

Riana
Unread 09-08-2004, 11:29 PM

Stephers
Don't panic. I too had TAH/BSO, 4 weeks ago. My symptoms took a while to show but the flushes were first along with a pathetic sleep pattern! I knew when a flush was coming and soon learnt to dress in layers where I could whip one off quick! Are you going to/using any HRT. I stayed off it for 4 weeks by choice to see if I could cope. The flushes were a piece of cake and the sleep pattern left alot to be desired but I found my skin went really dry and wrinkly, that I couldn't handle at 36!! A good place to visit is www.geocities.com/NoLinks It explains the specific things we go through at surgical menopause and even tells you what is going on when you have a flush!
Good Luck
Aussie Nat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2004, 11:39 PM

Sisters, Thanks...
At this time, for medical reasons, cancer cells and family history. MD is suggesting that I go with out any HRT. I also got a second opinion on this. They both have suggested that if at all possible I will got without and never have HRT, but it I end up needing it will only be for 2 to 3 weeks then off see if IM balanced and then try it again in a month or so for 2 to 3 weeks. As little as possible and none if I can do it without. IM at really HIGH risk for Cancer of all types. I have never heard it as a flush , or Am I just misunderstanding how it is being spoke to me, I thought it was being called a flash??? Call me crazy.
The sleep is so bad. I even try to get up as early as possible and not take naps and I still cant sleep at night...
So if any one is on AOL and would like to Chat by IM let me know, IM wide awake...LOL
Stephers
Unread 09-08-2004, 11:47 PM

Thanks Ausie Nat for the website. I'm 1 week post-op and am now just starting to feel the effects of "hot flashes". I keep asking my husband if it's hot in here and he says No, it's just you baby. I start my HRT tomorrow and will let you know if it works or not. When I do feel a "flash" coming on, I immediately go for some ice water and drink (or shall I say guzzle) it down. Sometimes two or three glasses - which isn't a problem as I love water! The only downside to that is that I have to get up and pee a lot at night - but I'd rather do that than be hot and sweaty.

Hope this helps. Remember fellow sister - we're in this together and together we shall conquer Menopause!

Joeysgal
Unread 09-08-2004, 11:52 PM

Stephers
It's a shame you can't take HRT but there are lots of natural alternatives around. Lots of foods contain oestrogen like qualities and some herbal remedies too. In America you call them 'flashes' here in Oz we call them 'flushes' but believe me they're the same thing!!!
Unread 09-09-2004, 12:05 AM

Thanks for all the kind words....
They mean so much I know that you have all been in my shoes but It really means alot....

Stephers
Unread 09-09-2004, 03:27 PM

Hi, Stephers,

I understand the whole hot flash thing - I have them and they are NOT FUN!!

I also was recommended by my dr to take the otc herbal remedies and vitamin E and calcium. Hope these are helpful to you - but you must give them time. It takes about 4-6 weeks for them to start really working in your system.

Best of luck - try to stay cool!!

Yes, it is hot in here

Blessings & s
Sallie
Unread 09-09-2004, 06:24 PM

Your skin flushes during a flash - hence either term.
My first hot flash was when I was on Lupron. It hit me full blast like a heating pad stuck to me suddenly turned on high. I was in a restuarant full of people and had an overwhelming sense of panic wondering how high this thermostat would go and the thought crossed my mind "OMG, Spontaneous Human Combustion is REAL and it's happening right now!"
Whew! I do think the first ones are the most alarming because you don't really know what to expect.

You have lots of good company :dance2:
Unread 09-09-2004, 06:41 PM
flashes

oh , i know exactly how you feel. i am about 9 weeks postop, tah bso on 7/1/04 . the first month the menopause symptoms didn't seem to bother me too much. i thought the insomnia was due to my body being sore from surgery, but all of a sudden the hot flashes kicked in, terrible night sweats and insomnia. i have not had a good nite sleep since surgery. i was hoping to not have to use hrt but as of last week i have decided to try the premarin temporarily , just till i feel better physically and emotionally. i was having lots of anxiety also about returning to work this week.
the hot flashes are some crazy feeling, huh? like this incredible heat way from inside out. you feel like you want to peel your clothes off (which for me, would not be a pretty sight!haha). like some of our other hyster sisters, i , too, am learning not to dress too heavily and lots of layers!!!!
good luck to you. and yes, i have heard vitamin e, and calcium should help.
stay well, good luck with your recovery.
deb p.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register