Lifting 37 lb. 2 yo at 3 weeks post op. HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lifting 37 lb. 2 yo at 3 weeks post op.  HELP! Lifting 37 lb. 2 yo at 3 weeks post op. HELP!

Unread 09-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Lifting 37 lb. 2 yo at 3 weeks post op. HELP!

I'm so upset today.

My husband just had to go to the *******' football game even though I knew it would be too much for me to take care of our 2 year old by myself.

I have had to pick him up more than once today and I'm feeling awful! My stomach is burning and hurting and aching and I don't know what to do...now I"m craying and mad on top of it...

When I was in for my 2 week check my Dr. said that I should not lift anything heavier than 10 lbs. Our 2 year old weighs 37 lbs.

Am I going to seriously hurt myself? I don't have anyone I can call to help me with him. *cry*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2004, 12:44 PM

sweetie, be careful....Change diapers on the floor and just sit down with him let everything else fall apart and you DH will pick it all up when he gets home from his tough day !!! Color on the kitchen floor with him, heck, feed him on the floor if you have to but DO NOT pick him up unless he is bleeding or barfing !!!
good luck- Tracey
Unread 09-11-2004, 12:58 PM

Oh, I will do what I can on the floor but he's a boy....lol into everything...I had to lift him down from the computer desk earlier....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2004, 01:17 PM

Oh dear; you really should not be lifting anything...............

Any chance you can get some help through your Doctor's office??

Can your Doctor talk to your husband............

You can do yourself some real harm........... - as you well know - I'm just worried that at a later date you'll have more problems because of the lifting............

Can you show him the husband page on this site -- it has some very useful info for men to read and hopefully, then, give them an understanding of what your body is going through and that it can take up to a year to feel completely "normal" again (what ever normal may be.. ) Maybe print off some things for him to read.........
As I'm typing this I see at the top of the page an 'advert' for a book "help for the men! the mister hysters sisters guide". It's downloadable, maybe that can be of help???

Can you move computer chair out of harms way? Although I'm sure you've thought of that one.......... Can you sit on the floor and hold on to the chair until he comes off it, rather than lifting him off it??
I know all easier said then done...........; two year olds can be a handful!
Does he like to watch videos, kids tv?? Maybe that can keep him occupied for a while. When my boy was 2 he loved Spot the Dog, Barney, Telly Tubbies -- kept him entertained for some time, whilst he lay on a lounge chair in a full body cast because of a broken leg! Of course, he couldn't move and yours can........., so not sure if kids tv or videos would work...........

Hugs to you; wish I could do more to help you........... Let's hope some other ladies have more or better ideas!

Loekie
Unread 09-11-2004, 01:26 PM

I'll look at the husband stuff on here that you mentioned. Thank you!

My dr.! Help!? No! He's an excellent surgeon, but he said I woulnd't need help w/my 2 year old after ONE WEEK! lol (I didn't share that w/my DH btw...lol) he said "You can hold his hand on the way to and from the car, etc., and have him crawl into his car seat, etc."

I thought...hmmm...he's obviously never taken care of a two year old boy before...lol
Unread 09-11-2004, 03:20 PM

I agree with the others - No lifting unless he is bleeding or barfing!

When I got pregnant with ds#2, ds#1 was only 18 months old. I had several complications during that pregnancy and early on was given a very strict lifing limit of no more than 10 pounds for the entire pregnancy plus I ended up on bed rest for just over a month. That was great, but ds#1 was just shy of 40 pounds. We learned VERY quickly how to live life without lifting him. It took a few days, but he was very proud of what a "big boy" he was now that mommy didn't have to carry him or lift him anywhere. The only issue I had was getting him in and out of the crib, and eventually we worked that out, too.

Then, just before ds #2's second birthday, I ended up with a cholecystectomy - Again, no lifting. We did the same thing that had worked with the pregnancy.

During these times, my dh was extremely helpful when he was home, but he was rarely home. He worked many 16-hour days and often travelled two to three weeks a month. We also lived about 2,500 miles from our closest family, so that wasn't an option either.

It can be challenging, but you can do it! You really need to be very, very careful about lifting.

Mandie
Unread 09-12-2004, 12:46 AM

Honey, I can relate! I have a 3 yr. old that I cannot lift! My husband thinks that if I am up walking around then I must be ok! WRONG! It make me so mad that he thinks he is getting off the hook. I am only 10 days post op and am worried about the lifting, but have just decided I will put my foot down. Last night DH asked if I minded if he went and watched first half of football game and I said "sure, just don't keep Dillon out too late!" So, he took him with him. Of course, it made me crazy to think about my son being up late, but I have to pick my battles. My son was a little tired today, but he'll survive and I won't have a hernia...
Hugs,
Colleen
Unread 09-12-2004, 01:00 AM

Does your community have a visiting nurses program? A lot of these programs also have people who can help out with everyday tasks. Your insurance may cover it or if not they usually will do it at low or no cost for you. Lifting anything over 10 lbs can give you a hernia and that means more surgery. Tell you DH that helping you out now will prevent him from having to help out for months to come.
Unread 09-12-2004, 03:59 AM

I copied something from another post/threat (sistabeth) and it may help if your husband reads/sees this............

Copy Start
I found this site with video clips about LAVH before my surgery. It was a little graphic for my family, but showing them what was involved made them realize the work that's being done inside. It is graphic, so if that bothers you or you'd rather not know...don't go there.
http://www.surgeryu.com/index2.php?...epend=video=237
Copy End

Hope things are better..........., take care,
Loekie
Unread 09-12-2004, 09:44 AM

Hi Rebz-
I sympathise. My Son is 21/2 and my daughter is 4. I haven't been able to lift them for sometime before my surgery, but since I can't lift them still, they're having fits. I've learned to let them crawl up beside me on the couch, etc. Mine are climbers too. They will climb ANYTHING.

Really- don't lift them unless it's an emergency. I hurt myself Fri. night lifting my husband(he passed out in the bathroom).
I feel TERRIBLE now.

I wish you the best and if you find a solution for the climbing, let me know LOL!

Blessings-
Amber

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register