Enema question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Enema question Enema question

Unread 09-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Enema question

Hi Ladies,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am in desperate need of help here, I have had bowel issues since my hysto and have been taking zelnorm well I started dieting and am losing weight thats the good part the bad part is that my zelnorm quit working and I can't poop without a enema now, I have no idea for sure if it's the diet or something to do with the possibility of my endo being back same pelvic and back pain I know this pain well. Any way warm water doesn't work cold hurts in my vaginal area as well as hot and the fleetce aren't helping at all. I remembered an old remedy that my grandma used and it was an old fashioned soap suds enema but I don't know what temp the water should be??? And why would an enema hurt me in my vaginal area??? I know I am impacted I can feel it but just can't get it to move stool softners won't budge it either...Any suggestions I have been the fiber route the benefiber the myrlax all with no help. Another thing that is botheing me is my GYN said he could only see the tip of my bowel during my LAVH is that normal I read where other womens GYN's have seen the bowel my GYN has no idea if I had endo on my bowel or not, is this something they can only see in a TAH??? Sorry for so many questions but I am in a world of hurt right now any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Enema question

Sammie, I would NOT mess around with enemas if there is an impaction. You may have developed a rectocele, or a fistula with the rectum and vagina. Either way, this is a medical urgency and should not be postponed.

Call the office of the doctor that gave you the Zelnorm immediately in the morning (unless you start vomiting, your pain increases, or you start running a fever -- then it's DO NOT PASS GO to the ER). Zelnorm works via the same mechanism as the SSRIs like Zoloft and Prozac. It can change the way the intestinal muscles themselves work, and can cause the type of ileus you describe. This needs urgent treatment -- if none of these interventions work, it's time for professional help. Don't take "no" for an answer, either! This is too important to blow off, OK?

Let us know what happens? An enema in this situation can be dangerous and could even lead to perforation. Soap suds are extremely irritating, and if your intestines aren't moving normally, you could do even further harm.

Big s -- call first thing, all right? Or go to the ER.

Audrey
Unread 09-14-2004, 12:48 AM
Enema question

Audrey,

Thanks for the info I will call tomorrow I did however just pass a huge amount of gas and some of the pain has let up I have been round and round with a bowel doc and my GYN about this bowel mess, I also had another thought I have bad hemorrhoids maybe that is what I am feeling trying to push out. I won't take any more enemas I have been doing them every night for almost 2 weeks... Since my hysto back in December it hurts so bad when I don't poop I had a cat scan of the bowel after hysto showed no obstruction just bad constipation but that was 9 months ago who knows what is going on now. I talked to my GYN last week about this pelvic pain that is when he said endo is probably back... I tend to down play this becasue I am at wits end it seems that there is no end to this problem and the doctors just keep pumping me full of all that fiber junk which makes it so much worse. Since I am not emotionally ready even for a LAP to check for endo I am trying so hard to learn to live with this pain it's not what I wanted but none the less it's what I have got. If I understood you right my zelnorm shouldn't have quit working without a reason right??? I am not even sure why they have me on it the info that comes with the zelnorm says don't use if you have adhesions or have had them, well I have had them removed several times and this last time was with my hysto...I will check this out but tomorrow is doctors surgery day so I may not get an answer but I do have an appt for my HRT shot so I can discuss it then hopefully some of this pain is gas I hadn't thought of that until I passed a ton...Thanks so much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2004, 12:59 AM
Enema question

Well, if it was smelly it could be moving around impacted stool.

Zelnorm actually works on the nerve impulses that drive the muscle of the intestine. With dieting, perhaps there have been other changes (including dehydration with all the fiber intake) that counteract the effect. If you have a diverticulum (an outpouching) that muscle won't move normally. You need to reiterate what you said about Zelnorm and adhesions at your appointment. However, my understanding is that Zelnorm, like other SSRIs, must be discontinued gradually. I'd ask about that!

"Bad constipation" 9 months ago could be impaction or strictures from scar tissue. It may also be that the nervous system to the bowel has been damaged in some way from the endo, and that's changed things.

I know what you mean about wrapping your brain around another surgery. I started a thread about this last week myself. I know surgery is necessary, probably sooner rather than later. But I'm far more reluctant this time to do what needs to be done! I'm the original ostrich, head buried in the sand, I guess...

Good for you for calling tomorrow. As I said, if anything changes, it can be an emergency. Better be safe than sorry -- intestinal perforation or diverticulitis are NOTHING to fool with!

Audrey
Unread 09-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Enema question

Hi Audrey,

I want to thank you so much for responding to my post sometimes I don't feel like I belong here at 9 going on 10 months and I sure don't feel like I belong on post-op because that is where I was right after so it's kind of a loney feeling at times.
I called and am scheduled to go in next week for my HRT shot since my work schedule this week conflicts with any openings they had I am going to wait until then. I just can't figure out why the zelnorm quit working but honestly it has been awful with it as well I don't have normal bowel movements and I always have to go late at night about midnight with the zelnorm. I am going to ask for a referral to a new bowel doctor the first one I saw was mean and cranky and didn't listen to me and actually made me cry, nothing worse than hurting and having to cry at the doc office, all he did was put me on zelnorm and a ton of other fiber stuff which made the problem so much worse.
I know something isn't right I am just so depressed and feel like a big fat failure at recovery it's been one thing after another since my hysto a long 9 months. My pelvic pain is like a big giant awful bruise feeling that never goes away and today my lower back hurt so bad I could barely walk. I just keep thinking maybe I will get lucky this time and it won't be anything too bad and can be fixed easily, hec for all I know it could be gas. My SO says I am full of hot air..lol..
I have been trying to mentally will this away and go on and act OK, I am a social worker and so many people need my attention and help on a daily almost hourly basis, I deal with a lot of crisis stuff and today I was so tired I am under a lot of stress my mom has been very ill and just got out of the hospital and she is still so sick so I am worried about her and trying to take care of her too.
But I have a lot to be THANKFUL for so many others have much worse things happen than me and I think about that often. I am getting my mammogram done Friday my GYN has been on me to get it for quite awhile I have fibrocystic breast severe and the HRT has really caused me intense pain but GYN says that is probably the way it will be for me, I haven't been good at getting the mammogram done it's been a few years but since I am on the HRT I am getting it done.
Once again thank you so much you are very kind I don't feel so alone now, you don't know how much you helped me I probably would have just kept taking enemas and I know that's not the answer.... I know you are stressed with the thought of more surgery I will keep you in my prayers... Take care and once again thank you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register