Better Preparation - LONG | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Better Preparation - LONG Better Preparation - LONG

Unread 09-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Better Preparation - LONG

One thing I wonder why I didn't do better was prepare for my recovery. I didn't really decide if I was going to be upstairs or downstairs until after I got home and downstairs turned out to be a nightmare.

The bed I was in was up too high, my room was next to my daughter's room. She is a really hard sleeper and wakes up to 3 different LOUD alarm clocks. I couldn't wake her up for help in the night, and my husband was upstairs and couldn't hear me.

Finally I decided to migrate upstairs after two hellish nights with almost no sleep. Once I got up there, I felt so much better it was miraculous. My teenagers, husband, and sister (who had a hyst in 2000) set up my recovery room. I have a fridge, microwave, and my furniture is moved around so I have a straight shot to the bathroom at night. We can use the fridge and microwave for our daughter's college dorm next year. I have one night light up high in the bathroom and I can see very well by that and the microwave clock alone.

My bedroom is a renovated attic above the kitchen in a 160 year old farmhouse. It is the sunniest room in the house, and is huge. I have my sewing/quilting set up there permanently, it's a beautiful place. I feel like I am in a treehouse, I can only see trees out the windows.

I also would have put a table for my meds right next to my bed, with a tablet set up for times and meds so I could keep track of them better. I finally devised a letter code, "T" for Tylenol, "K" for antibiotic, "W" for wellbutrin, and so on. I drew a diamond around the "Fe" for iron, and a square around the "K", so that I could instantly count how many I had taken in a day. Also, Tylenol has a new 8-hour dosage, so you can sleep longer at night without getting up to take more. I had to get in 4 "K" and 3 "Fe" in one day. I also take a vitamin C with the iron for better absorption.

I think a treadmill would have been extravagant, but helpful. If I had a friend with one, I would have borrowed it for a month. The only thing I can't get enough of is walking up there. But now at 2 weeks, I can walk the stairs once a day.

I really would encourage any woman having an abdominal incision to go pick up afew control panties before surgery. It does feel so much better to have something firmly holding in your surgery site, especially when you are sleeping on your side. I ended up tailoring bike shorts that were tight so that I had an open crotch in them. That way I could use the toilet without taking off my comfort pants. Then I put a pair of cotton underwear on over that. Heaven.

It was SO comforting to leave the hospital and come home to my own bed, my dogs, and my family. My hospital stay was a nightmare. All the nurses loved me and said I was their best patient. I really was afraid to ask for anything, and when I did they waited 45 minutes to answer my call button. I would have planned on having someone with me in the hospital if I'd have known the nursing shortage was that bad.

I had one bad nurse. The rest were angels in disguise, truly. But that one bad nurse was just too much for me, which was scary. Normally I deal really well with problem people. The nasty nurse was nice only when I had a family member by my side.

I hope this helps someone.

Good Luck to all you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks for sharing this!

I'm big on preparation / organization when it comes to any "event" and your message will help me tremendously! I'm sure I'll have 25 lists made and revised by the time I have my surgery, which has been postponed one week to 12/7.

I hope you continue to do better each day!! You have a beautiful time of year to recover!
~Tammy
Unread 09-14-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info! Very helpful!
Didn't know about the vit C thing.
The bike shorts thing sounds like a good idea. Lord knows I have enough of them that are not being used that I could sacrifice for the cause. S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2004, 11:34 AM

Thanks, your info is very helpful to me. I'll be going into the castle next week and have already prepared a lot for my room as well.

Thanks for the idea about the meds list---that was great.

Take care and get your rest.
Unread 09-15-2004, 11:54 AM

One more thing. I stocked up on TV dinners, but a friend is bringing over dinner tonight. If anyone asks if they can do anything for you, resist the urge to say no right away. They can bring over dinner, or if they don't cook, they can bring takeout from Applebees or something.

TV dinners get old real quick. Luckily, I have two kids who drive, so I can send them for yogurt, bread, milk, etc.

OH!!! And I bought gift cards for the kids to Meijer's (the grocery store) so they can buy food items while I am recovering. Found that my 19 year old son is using his for gas, though. Oh well. The free ride stops when his card is used up.

Hope this helps someone.

Jean
Unread 09-15-2004, 12:03 PM

Great post. Your sharing will benefit many ladies in waiting!

Best wishes on your continued recovery.
Unread 09-15-2004, 12:58 PM

Hi Jean,
Gosh, I wonder if I could get someone to deliver from Applebees....I live 6 hours from the closest one!! Hey, moms going at Thanksgiving....I wonder.........
Kat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register