Loss of rectal control? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Loss of rectal control? Loss of rectal control?

Unread 09-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Loss of rectal control?

Well, it will be one year at the end of October. However, I am developing a new problem that I think I've read about on this site before.

Not to be too gross, but I am losing some of my rectal control. What happens is that when up and walking around, I often have this feeling that I am "leaking" from my rectum, and when I wipe, I see that I really WAS leaking.

Also, when I strain to defecate (which happens often) I feel pressure and pain in my pelvic area.

I had a TAH and have no ovaries. Could this be a rectocele? Or something else?

I hope someone reads this and can advise or share. I am overwhelmed at the thought of another possible surgery or major problem, but if it needs to be checked out, I'd better do it, right?

Thanks, Sisters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Loss of rectal control?

HI ,are you saying you cant control bowel moment?ASK DR WHAT TO DO just to be safe. did you go already?LET me know , iam having to push mine out with fingers.I think this is called rectocele prolapes i go to doc sept 23nd iam scared :cry: Has any one had rectocele repair? how did it go?
Unread 09-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Loss of rectal control?

I am sorry to hear you are going thru this. I believe what you describe is referred to as rectal incontinence.

You may find help thru physical therapy. Guy I used to work with's EX wife is a PT in town and she specializes in helping women regain urinary and rectal continence. He told me I'd be surprised at the number of women she treats.

I would urge you to phone your gyn and be examined asap. I doubt this is the sort of thing that will improve on its own and you might be doing further damage in straining.

Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Loss of rectal control?

michelle35, yes your right i have heard women just live with it.YES iam going to dr 23rd this month i have appointment . i really dont want any more surgery.DO you know of any women that had the repair?THAnk-You so much for the reply lLei-55
Unread 09-15-2004, 05:37 AM
Loss of rectal control?

I had a rectocele repair over a year ago. No more leaking, no more difficult bm's. Mine was done as outpatient surgery, and I have no regrets. Each person is different, and its important to see your dr and tell them about ALL of your symptoms to make certain you get the right diagnosis. I imagine other posterior repair ladies will come along and give you their stories as well.
Unread 09-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Loss of rectal control?

HI, nervousnel Thats really good your repair went well. yes you are right everyones differant.Thanks for you reply its always nice to know iam not alone . "GOSH" i just went to the bath room had BM and had to push with my fingers ANY other hystersisters with problem? RECTOCELE REPAIR- POSTERIOR -REPAIR - a bugle beween retum and vagina when having a bowel movement and having to push with fingers for BM to come out , Ithink thats what its called.
Unread 09-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Loss of rectal control?

The procedure of manipulation that you are describing is commonly referred to as splinting. Kind of pushing things back to where they need to be to pass on thru the system. Fairly common with a rectocele.

I had a specialized x-ray called a voiding defecogram (defecography) to determine exactly what all was going wrong with me. Some women have sphincter or just plain rectal (no 'cele) issues that can cause similar problems.

Check out this older discussion:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=80081
Unread 09-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Loss of rectal control?

nervousnel, your a very nice person to take the time to give me this information.Iam going to dr the 23rd hopefully they will know what it is yes i heard this was a common thing.Did your repair take a long time? How long did it take to heal?I really dont have any pain , did you before?
Unread 09-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Loss of rectal control?

THIS IS FOR YOU - NERVOUS NEL
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Loss of rectal control?

HI, Ladies went to doc today about bluge doc said it wasn't that bad so he told me to take over counter stool softers so i take metamucil said iam healed up in side which is good news don't have to go back to be checked for one year thats to keep eye on bluge,now if it gets worse then we may think about surgery i asked him what was it called (the bluging) and some how i didnt get the answer ,he seemed to be in a hurry i was too so iam going to eat lots of fiber and keep my bowel movements soft and hope every thing gose good

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register