Costochondritis After Tvh? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Costochondritis After Tvh? Costochondritis After Tvh?

Unread 09-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Costochondritis After Tvh?

Has anyone developed costochondritis after their surgery?

Anyone experience damage to the T-1 - T-4 vertebrae?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2004, 05:35 PM

I had costochondritis just within the last few months. Mine was the result of a bad virus that my husband and I both got. I have not had any side effects from that though. I took it easy for about 4 to 6 weeks; no heavy lifting, rested when I could, and took my robitussin (I can't take cough syrup with codeine). I was originally diagnosed with pluerisy, but that was changed. I fully recovered.
Unread 09-16-2004, 02:50 PM

thanks, bluesuit66, for the reply. I'm looking for anyone who might have similar symptoms after thier hyst.

Drs are still trying to find out why I developed symptoms for costochodritis immediatly after my hyst. It took a lot of tests etc to pinpoint the pain since it radiates. No one could figure out what was wrong with me for 2 1/2 yrs.

They keep asking me if I have had an accident or fall that could have caused this....nope! Just a TVH. They get real quiet when you say that.

I didn't know I had problems with my upper back between the shoulder blades, until I started working with a physical therapist. The vertebrae are very tender to the touch. I remembered that I had a really bad pain between my shoulder blades shortly after the hyst and just thought it was tension or something. It lasted for several weeks.

Apparently it was more than just tension. I'm hoping to get treatment for this condition and get back to the health I had.

Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2004, 07:23 AM

Hi!! I have costo. I've had it for years, however, but it got much worse after my surgery. It's so bad now that my breasts both hurt on and off, esp. the right side, and I'm getting swollen, sore lymph nodes under my right arm b/c of the inflammation. I saw my GYN last week to rule out it being anything else wrong with my breasts, esp. with the swollen lymph glands, but he diagnosed severe costochondritis which is affecting my breasts and causing bad inflammation. He recommended moist heat and Advil every 4-6 hours when I have a flare-up. I swear, I think I have more medical issues now post-op than I did before, and I feel like a giant hypochondriac. Hang in there!!
Unread 11-17-2004, 11:55 AM

Thanks for responding, Leigh. Hope you get better soon.
Unread 11-19-2004, 11:56 PM

Beadweaver,

I have severe sharp pain 8days post-op TVH in the chest area. It felt as though I couldn't breathe. I went to the ER to make sure it wasn't a lung blood clot and they said it was the costo. They gave me a drug stronger than motrin, similar to bextra and after a few days on that the severe pain went away but I still have the light pain alll the time.

FallPrincess
Unread 11-22-2004, 05:25 PM

Can you tell me exactly what your symptoms are in detail? I,m having this pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades and it kind of radiates lower in my back and around my chest right where my bra is. Does this sound anything like what you are experiencing? I had my Hyst in 2003 and 6 months after I went to the ER thinking it was gallbladder or a heart attack. The Dr said costocon????? I had never heard of this and kind of blew him off. I'd love to know what to do about this. Thanks in advance.
Unread 11-23-2004, 01:20 PM

Hi, Fallprincess and 12345.

What are my symptoms? Very tender breastbone at the joint for the xyphoid. Also had three very sore vertabrae between my shoulders.

Bras have been a real problem. Any constant pressure under my breasts & around my ribs would cause pain to build until I had to remove it. Can't do that when you are a customer service rep and wait on the public in person. Being well endowed doesn't help either.

Sitting at a desk or driving a car causes added pressure from the waistband on my pants.

I've had this ever since the hyst in 2002...just didn't identify it until this year. At least that is the one condition that they have compared my symptoms to.

I'm taking Zanaflex three times a day and Welbutrin twice a day to help control the pain.

All the information I have read says this condition is self limiting and will go away on it's own. Wish it would hurry up!

Thanks for responding.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
Unread 11-23-2004, 01:30 PM

I wonder if it can come and go? You sound exactly like me. Do you get pain in your back too?
Unread 11-23-2004, 05:01 PM

Definitely can make your back hurt. The nerves wrap around following the ribs.

Some of the websites I did research on said it can come and go. They don't have really good explanation why it happens.

Could be caused by trauma to the chest, infection, fungus.....the list goes on.

Hope you heal up quickly.

Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register