Achy, Restless Legs! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Achy, Restless Legs! Achy, Restless Legs!

Unread 09-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

Ever since my surgery (August 20th) my legs are achy and tingly. they are restless and feel very strange. This is during the day and night and sometimes it is so bad that I can not sleep. I feel like I need to get up and run. I have tried walking and moving more during the day --but they are driving me nuts! Is anyone else feeling this? What helps? Nothing I have tried so far. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

I believe what you are experiencing is common, and is called "Restless Leg Syndrome" (makes sense, eh?) I experience it off and on but I've had it for years. You just kind of feel like you want to keep s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g your legs and you just can't stretch 'em enough.

Were you a regular excerciser before surgery? I'm wondering if it's because you aren't able to get your excercise while you're recuperating.
Unread 09-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

I did not excercise--I thought about it!! LOL
I am a Preschool Director and Teacher so I was up and about more--it is driving me nuts. What do you use to relieve the feeling-does it effect your sleep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

I have RLS too, both before for years and lately alot since surgery. I take tylenol PM when it is really bad. Mine is better now that I can sleep on my side with my knees bent a little. It is a very frustrating thing. I have read that it can be treated with xanax( I guess for relaxing).
Unread 09-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

I have had that for a few years. I am on my feet all day i dont know if that is part of it. I have this incredable urge to crack my ankles. it drives DSO nuts. and it doesn't really help either. is there anything you can do for it?
Unread 09-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

Glad to know others have this problem--I am sorry for all of you, but at least I don't think I am nuts now. Seems weird to me that it has just started showing up. Tried Tylenol PM to no avail. I have found that if I get my legs very warm it might help--but then the rest of me usually starts roasting at some time during the night and I am up again!
Unread 09-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

Is it possible you are anemic??

I used to have this problem, especially when I got really tired. Before my surgery and before they got my bleeding under control, I was very anemic and they seemed to be extremely bad then. I have had very little trouble with this since my blood count is back to normal.

Just a suggestion, hope this helps.

Blessings & s
Sallie
Unread 09-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

I also have restless leg's , it's terrible , nothing seem's to help so far that I've tried. Not even exercise, you would think if they're restless exercise would make them tired enough to relax ! Please if anyone know's of anything that would help , let me know too !
Unread 09-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

That is certainly a thougt. A week before surgery by blood count got down to 7.2 and I had to have a transfusion (2 units). By the time I left the hospital after surgery it was up to 11 (12.1 is like the low normal). I haven't had any bleeding since the surgery so I don't know where it could have gone--but I don't know for sure. What helped you when you experienced the problem?
Unread 09-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Achy, Restless Legs!

My dr put me on iron - an otc brand called Slow Fe and also gave me a three-month shot of Lupron to stop all periods. This helped and my blood count rose from 6.7 up to 13 before my surgery.

Another indication of anemia is the need or desire to chomp on ice. I was always eating ice, and my sister-in-law complained about the same thing. When the dr determined that I was severely anemic I studied up on it and found this is a common symptom of anemia. Both my s-i-l (they have just put her on iron for anemia of 8.6) and I were really surprised that this had something to do with the anemia.

Those restless legs are really a pain - I always called them the "creepy-crawlies" and the only thing I was able to do to help them was go to bed and try to sleep.

Hope they soon get well.

Blessings & s
Sallie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register