very scared and want to cancel bladder procedure...... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

very scared and want to cancel bladder procedure...... very scared and want to cancel bladder procedure......

Unread 09-22-2004, 09:57 AM
very scared and want to cancel bladder procedure......

thanks for the advice girls

I went to the dentist yesterday to have my permanent crown put in and talked to both the dentist and the booking clerk......the booking clerk said that she knew some of what I was telling her because the dentist had said that when he had gone into recovery to check on me I was really out of it and throwing up and he wasn't coming anywhere near me (hello?) and then when I talked to the dentist he said that I was really out of it and that they had a hard time at the end of the procedure because my tongue was so swollen......so I asked him what part of anaphylactic reaction did he and the anesthetist NOT understand.....clearly I was having a reaction.......and I was let to go into recovery and then I was let to go into 2nd recovery and then sent home.......no wonder I was out of it for three days.....I should've never been sent home and he said "you should've said something" and I explained to him that I was last person to be able to inform someone of my reactions when I"m having them because I get so little blood to my brain I can't even make words properly.........I was horrified.......the booking clerk swore she was looking into it while I was there and when I came out from the dentist she was gone......and I've heard nothing............

appalling is all I can say, I've asked for a copy of the operative report be sent to me so at least I have the name of the evil drug that caused all this but needless to say, this doesn't end here.....what i do next I"m not sure I"m trying to calm down first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2004, 03:31 PM

S S Dear Sweet Gidge...

First let me say how sorry I am to read of everything you have been through.

I had a horrible experience when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. They did it in the hospital as they were all impacted. I was so sick after that surgery (throwing up is so horrible - especially after an oral op)...I will never forget it.

I have always stressed to all of my dr's that I can't be put out unless they give me gravol, or a completely different anaesthetic. I don't have my notes here, but the oral op was many years ago, and I don't think they use that type anymore...But I still mention it to the dr's.

I would write a letter and send it to all of the people involved. One to the hospital, cc it to the surgeon, as well as to the doc who is doing the next procedure. Outline everything that happened.

Make some notes while everything is fresh and tackle it when you are up to it.

Sending you much

Jude
Unread 09-22-2004, 03:36 PM

thanks Jude and great to hear from you, hope you are doing ok?

I did hear from the booking clerk today who said she had talked to the head RN at this hospital and that she was going to pull my "anesthetic chart" and then give me a call......I did just fine with the old one whether it was soy based or not it was working fine and then they gave me this one that obviously threw me for a major loop........I was upset enough but to find out my tongue was swelling during surgery and they didn't inform me or keep me for observation.....plus with the vomiting and no one even called the next day to see how I was.......shameful

I plan on having a long long chat with the anesthetist for the bladder op and making sure that my usual anti-emetic is used during surgery, that the right anesthetic is used and just for good measure someone had better hang a bag of IV gravol for me in post op I am never going through that again......I guess the only good thing is it is bladder surgery so we won't have to worry about me wetting the bed again and being left that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2004, 06:15 PM

At least in the States the med and dental students go to different schools, so in your case maybe it's like that in Canada too. Hopefully your experience will be a little different because of the training/education involved with physiology. I can't believe that a dentist would say something like that. Was he an endodontist (who might be more familiar with surgical procedures and the anesthesia involved) or a general dentist? I am so sorry you had such a terrible experience Gidge. s.
Unread 09-24-2004, 09:56 AM

he's a regular dentist but there is only one hospital here that does dentistry in the O.R. under general for people that are old/young/disabled/ or have allergies to the freezing like me and I think they may be "residents" but my dentist assured me that that still means they've been doing dentistry for I think its at least three years......?

no one called me back like they were supposed to yesterday from the hospital so we'll see what happens today.....I also called the uro's office to find out if they had a date for me since it has been since May that I've been waiting and she said she would have to call me back as well and she hasn't

so I sit and wait
Unread 09-24-2004, 05:30 PM

(((Gidge)))) so sorry you're still waiting for call backs: I know only too well how that feels

If they don't call you back early Monday morning, be sure to call again: you won't be a bother, you'll just be flagging that you are really waiting for an answer.

Take care ((((sweetie)))). Hope you get answers soon.
Unread 09-24-2004, 07:34 PM

Sorry you had so much trouble Gidge. I agree, I would definitely at least try to get an answer. if I had to go back through that venue again, I'd make sure everyone had it documented and was aware of what happened the last time to try to prevent future problems.

Here (not Canada), I believe, 3 years could perhaps mean the student has started seeing patients after completing his or her first year of book study and seeing other students as "patients". Perhaps a supervising dentist with a degree and with experience could be more hands on in your case to make sure that things go properly this time and is aware of the complicating factors?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register