Green tea and ovarian cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Green tea and ovarian cancer Green tea and ovarian cancer

Unread 09-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Green tea and ovarian cancer

I have read many good things about green tea, but this is too good not to share.
http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E2761,00.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2004, 05:40 PM

Great article. Thanks for the reminder. Immediately made myself a cup!

Bottoms up!
Unread 09-17-2004, 05:42 PM

Very interesting!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2004, 05:56 PM
green tea/african red tea

Super...and so simple! I drink green tea ...I"m still not sure we I stand with that antioxidant stuff since I"M still in treatment..but I have a cup of green tea a couple of times a week. Once my treatment is over, I will drink at least two cups a day.

ALSO...I've learned about this African Red Tea (Kalahari Tea) that is supposed to have more antioxidant properties than green tea...
check out <Oops! Please link to informational sites only (no commercial sites). Thanks!>
for more information. They sent me some samples, but I haven't gotten around to ordering any yet.
Unread 09-18-2004, 02:50 AM

Shephard Pal,
Thanks! Great article! I'm drinking more green tea as I write this!
Bless you!
-Sue
Unread 09-19-2004, 03:15 AM
Rooibos Tea = Don't Drink It

Green tea is wonderful. Some nutritionists recommend the decaffeinated kind for people who have had cancer, so that might be something to research.

I recently asked my nutritionist about Rooibos tea (Kalahari), which is high in antioxidants and is sometimes discussed on cancer boards.

Her recommendation is that it SHOULD BE AVOIDED as it has extremely high copper levels. People with ovarian cancer (and some other cancers) usually have high copper levels, and reducing the excess copper has been shown to contribute to survival time.
Unread 09-19-2004, 04:16 AM

Sirensong,

VERY interesting about the Kalahari red tea. I've recently been turned on to that and had no idea about the high copper ratio and the problems it may cause in ovarian cancer. I'll have to look into that one! Thanks for the heads up!
Unread 09-19-2004, 05:00 AM
Green Tea

Great article, thanks!

Sirensong, thanks for the extra info on rooibos tea.

Jochan
Unread 09-19-2004, 12:34 PM

Glad the info was helpful. I always try to ask my nutritionist about new stuff, and sometimes, it's something that's fine to add in (alpha-lipolic acid and NAC are two things I'm just adding to my regimen). I was really curious about the Rooibos tea, since I recalled her saying early on that I should avoid that tea, but I never asked why.

Copper is present in shellfish, chocolate (most is cooked in copper kettles, but Choco-Love and Paul Newman's chocolates are not), and some other things I can't remember right now.

One easy way to lower copper levels is by taking zinc. If your copper levels are over-elevated, you can also add molybdenum drops. But if you're at that point, I would recommend consulting with someone, because I don't know all that much about the measurements or tests or what's good/bad.

Three big things I'm focused on are:

Minimizing internal inflammation
Minimizing copper levels
Minimizing opportunity for angiogenesis

That said, I had a big piece of cake at a wedding last night. Sigh.
Unread 09-19-2004, 02:10 PM

Shepardpal-Thank you sooo much for the article on green tea. I'm going to drink as much as possible this week to prepare for my upcoming surgery on Sept 28. I don't suppose you can drink too much, can you? Also, should I stop drinking it when I start chemo again? Will it protect the cancer cells or make them self-destruct?(the latter, I hope)

And Sirensong- I had occasionally been drinking rooibos tea. I had no idea it contained copper. That's definitely crossed off my list now.

Thank you ladies so much.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register