Anyone Have Complex Hyperplasia w/ Atypia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone Have Complex Hyperplasia w/ Atypia? Anyone Have Complex Hyperplasia w/ Atypia?

Unread 09-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Anyone Have Complex Hyperplasia w/ Atypia?

I just got the word a week ago (from two docs) that the best course of action for treatment of my Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia would be a hysterectomy. I haven't even begun to sort what kind of hyst and what to remove (cervix? ovaries?).

I am going on 48, so most of my woman friends and one doc are telling me to take out the ovaries. I'm seeing another NEW doc next week for more/different info.

Anyone else out there dealing about what do? There seems to be so many choices and few "right" answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2004, 11:19 PM

I had it, and was cured with 6 months of progestin therapy. I took Megace. Nasty drug, but it works! I'm pre-menopausal and trying to get pregnant, though.

Here's an interesting article for you:

http://www.cancersource.com/NewsFeat...ontentID=27683

Pam
Unread 09-18-2004, 05:51 AM

I had Complex Hyperplasia no Atypia but decided with my doc that a Hysterectomy was the right thing due to family history of Endometrial Cancer. We kept the ovaries - her feelings were if there is no history of ovarian cancer and they are working fine - keep them.

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2004, 12:28 PM
The "Atypia" factor

Thanks for your posts! From what I'm starting to learn/understand, the "with atypia" is the added "bonus" to my problem. That, and my age (47), are factors in the medical folks directing me toward the hysterectomy. But no one is in agreement on whether I should take out the ovaries or not. And, I still have yet to learn if I can have a TVH or if I'm headed for a TAH (or more).

I sure appreciate learning all I can from my "sisters" who are even just a few steps ahead of me in the decision-making process.

I see yet another doctor next Friday, but this time I'll be loaded up with so much more knowledge. And we all know that equals POWER!

Thanks!
Unread 09-18-2004, 08:02 PM
FEAR

HI
I'M ALSO STRUGGLING WITH THE DECISION. PLEASE SEE MY POSTS UNDER "ATYPIA WITH HYPERPLASIA" AND CANCER CONCERNS.
PLEASE RESPOND. IT'S SCARY ALONE.
RAYZEL
Unread 09-19-2004, 03:13 PM

Rayzel,

It's a bit overwhelming to try to figure out what to do, isn't it? Thanks for directing me to your other posts and the replies. There is so much to be learned from the woman who have dealt with or are dealing with similar issues.

I'm still struggling with whether to take out my ovaries or not. I'm 47 years old (though I always lie and tell people I'm a year older -- theory being I won't freak out when I actually get a year older ). I really wanted to go through the change naturally and I did not want to use HRT. Now I'm all confused about what to do.

I am meeting a new doctor next Friday who I hope will lend some clarity. It never hurts to talk to more than one MD. This one will be my third, counting my internist.

Do you have a surgery date scheduled yet? Sounds like we are both trying to determine similar courses of action. At the moment, I don't even know if I'm a good candidate for TVH.

While I have had NO problems except a few heavy periods and cramps in the past year or so, my mom had lots of problems in her 30s. She ended up going for surgery 3x, something I want to avoid. I can see she kept her ovaries -- up until they had to come out -- because she was in her early 30s. She and some of my friends keep telling me, "You're nearly 50 and you'd be going through menopause some time soon, so take everything out and avoid the possibility of another surgery later if you have ovary problems." That sounds all fine and dandy, but it is just scary.

My personal life (relationship) is in a bit of a turmoil right now, so I worry about all the hormone stuff changing so drastically if I have my ovaries removed. It would be just one more road bump down my now uncertain path.

Yes, I'm rambling. But just know that you and I can ramble together as we figure this all out.
Unread 09-19-2004, 05:18 PM
WHAT IF? WHAT IF? WHAT....

HI GILLIE AND THANKS FOR THE RAMBLE.
I'M AT THE POINT WHERE I UNDERSTAND I NEED THE SURGERY, AND ACTUALLY HAVE A (VERY SOON) DATE SCHEDULED. BUT.....I'M NOT SURE IF I NEED A GYN/ONC OR A PLAIN GYN TO DO IT. HOW DO THEY STOP CELLS FROM ESCAPING? WHAT IF THEY ARE CANCEROUS? WHAT IF? WHAT IF? .....
I'M SEEING MY ONLY GYN TOMORROW. I'M COMPILING QUESTIONS FOR HER WILL INCLUDE WHETHER I NEED TO CONSULT OR HAVE A GYN/ONC ON STANDBY AND IF IT MAKES ANY SENSE TO DELAY THE SURG TO CONSULT ONE.
I DON'T HAVE A SO NOW. AND I DON'T HAVE FAMILY NEARBY. I FEEL SO ALONE AND SOOOO SCARED. THIS ENTIRE THING FEELS SO SURREAL, LIKE THE TWILIGHT ZONE.
PLEASE WRITE AGAIN.
RAYZEL
Unread 09-19-2004, 09:26 PM

Rayzel, what area do you live in? There might be some of us online that could come visit you in the hospital or help you out at home afterward, if we live close enough. I'm in Northern California, myself.

Pam
Unread 09-20-2004, 01:00 PM
You are not alone

Rayzel,

You are NOT ALONE! All these incredible women are here for you. Just share whatever you feel comfortable sharing and you will be cared for by us all.

I go to my latest doctor on Friday, so I'll keep you posted about what I learn and choices that work for me.

Are you eating right and gettng some exercise -- even a walk around the block? I'm finding that a focus on my wellbeing is helping me cope with my emotions and my tired brain.

Hope you learn lots from your doctor visit.
Unread 09-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Me, Too!

Hi Ladies -

I'm new...My name is Sherry. I'm 34 yrs old & have just been diagnosed with Atypical Adenomatous Hyperplasia...I am scheduled for a D&C on 10/7/04, then dr. wants to put me on Megace for 3 mos with a follow-up D&C. I had an endometrial biopsy done 2 wks ago. The pathologist said, "Hysterectomy, as clinically feasible, might be considered." Since I am still a single woman with no children...I'd like to retain the option of being able to have children as long as I can. But, the other thing is I had a couple of D&C's done about 6 yrs ago & at that time was diagnosed with Simple Endometrial Hyperplasia. I've been on Provera since then & never had any problems until a couple of months ago (for 2 consecutive mos - so decided I needed to see dr). So the progression in 6 yrs with Provera hasn't been good, needless to say! I'm praying that the D&C with the Megace will do the trick...just that I'm not sure if that's the best thing for me or not...really emotional - UGH! I hate when I don't know what to do! Any encouragement, information, & support will be GREATLY appreciated - as well as - most importantly - your prayers! Thanks for listening!
Sherry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register