Depression/Anxiety-4 weeks Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Depression/Anxiety-4 weeks Post Op Depression/Anxiety-4 weeks Post Op

Unread 12-18-2000, 04:57 AM
Depression/Anxiety-4 weeks Post Op

Going for my 4 week check up this afternoon. I am a mess. Many of the things bothering me are valid-My kids are going cross country to be w/their father for Xmas (first time I have ever been spearated at Xmas from them), I was laid off from my job at 2 weeks post op, so stress from those 2 things, BUT....
Headaches-every a.m., Bursting into tears (this one just started 2 days ago- I am on HRT), lack of desire to do anything-other than just keep things status quo.
I am really depressed. Anyone else experiencing this now, or did they at this point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2000, 09:11 AM

Hi Wendy
I am also at 4 weeks--well almost five weeks--and am also REALLY sad. I kept my ovaries so am not on HRT, although I don't think my ovaries are really functioning yet. I am very weepy, sad, lonely, frustrated etc. I wonder if it is partly because we are really sick the first couple of weeks, but by 4 weeks we still feel tired and rotten but everyone expects us to be better. I have no energy. It is also very hard to have christmas coming up and not be able to do anything to get ready for it etc. Plus christmas is a horribly stressful time at the best of times for most people, and with your kids away for the first time that has to be terrible in itself. I think there is just too much going on--cold weather, christmas blues, family blues, exhaustion, a slow healing process, and people having very hight expectations of us. People keep saying to me "you look good!!" "Why don't you have your christmas lights up? You're home all day!!" etc. etc. Please know that you are not alone in this. I am really trying hard NOT to think too hard and just get through each day. Rest when you need to-- our bodies are still in the early stages of healing. Take care and I wish you a peaceful christmas. I can imagine how hard it must be.
Yours in sisterhood.
Unread 12-18-2000, 10:01 AM

sorry you feel so bad sweetie!Of course your sad and blue!!! that's alot of emotional stress under normal circumstances.Do be sure that you tell your dr how your feeling.your hrt may need to be adjusted or perhaps something else.I sure wish your kids could stay home!I don't suppose you could talk their Dad out of it,could you?I will pray for comfort and peace for you.Love Lass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2000, 12:29 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the last 2 posts. Glad to know that there are some who can relate. I really relate to the "Xmas lights up" comment. Just because you are home all day does not mean you feel like doing anything. I have always been "superwoman" multi-tasking myself into a frenzy, and this time I'm not. I finally reached the number 10 on a 1-10 scale. I have moved twice in the past six months, renovated a home (well, supervised renovations-that's why twice in 6 mos), Started a new job, got a TAH, lost the job, and of course-single parent. Gee, no wonder I am beat. Unfortunately, my ex will not relent as far as Xmas. He has not seen the kids since Aug. and I understand his need to spend time with them even though I don't not agree w/his parenting methods.
I will be sure to discuss with my doctor today-leaving in about 10 minutes, but she acts like I am complaining if I bring up anything that is not positive. I try to be proactive about health care and yet the doctors really seem to bristle if you have done your homework.
Unread 12-18-2000, 03:12 PM
i can relate!

I am just 4 weeks and feel worse than i have since surgery. I am so blue and there is another person also living in my body and when she comes out, everyone in my family runs for their life. I hate this. I did call my Dr. today and am uping my vivelle dot. Lord, please let this work. I have depression also but that has been ok for about a year. Please let us know what you found out at the Dr.
Unread 12-18-2000, 03:55 PM

I had a TAH/BSO on 10.12.00. The hardest thing I had to face was accepting the assistance of others. I've always been an extremely independent person but this Hyster thing doesn't give you any choices. It took lots of talking to myself but I am okay with accepting I can't do things now. If some things get done by others for you - great, If other things don't get done - well that's okay too.
You're only 4/5 weeks into this. At 4 weeks I too thought I would be able to do more. Talking to my doctor and others who have been through this made me realize I was right where I should be. You have one major job right now and that is to take care of yourself. That means both physically and mentally giving yourself a break and feeling okay about it.

I too have developed some anxiety usually when I'm not sure if I can physically deal with a new or unknown situation. I spoke to my doctor about it and she was so supportive, said she wasn't surprised as I've had so much to deal with and prescribed me something. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

If your doctor is not helpful or does not make you feel comfortable asking questions there is one solution - get a new doctor! I know I've been there. I have Stage II Endometrial cancer and it would not have gone to this stage or possibly cancer if my original doctor had listened to me and took my initial symptoms seriously. He especialy didn't like to be questioned. Thank God he has retired and other woman do not have to be at his mercy. The only reason my cancer was found was that I wound up in the E.R with life threatening vaginal hemmoraging. I've met up with some fantastic doctors since. I wish all woman were as lucky.

[Edited by June Ali on 12-18-2000]
Unread 12-18-2000, 04:19 PM

Hi Wendy,
I couldn't help but cringe when I read about your Doctor. You would think a female gyn would relate better to her patients. I agree that it may be time to look for a new Doc. Ask your best friend who she sees, ask other women at church etc. It took me 5 Gyn's to find the Doc I have now and I couldn't be happier. He actually listens when I talk to him and express my concerns. He explains things. This is how it should be. We deserve the very best care that we can find. If a Doc won't listen to you and try and understand where you are coming from and the things that bother you, how can she give you the care you deserve? You certainly have reasons to be depressed and she needs to know this. Hang in there ok? Make sure you take care of you. ((((((((Great big cyber hugs))))))))
Wishing you all the best
Unread 12-18-2000, 05:16 PM
Depression/Anxiety 4 Weeks Post-Op

Yes! I was also depressed at this point post-op. I too had good reason to be, as my grandfather died prior to that point (very suddenly). I think that there is a euphoria at first after surgery because most of us have the blessing of feeling SO GOOD that we are just overwhelmed with joy. Then the reality of the surgery sets in. For me, this was something I chose, so of course at first I tried to blame myself. However, I do not regret my decision, and I know now that hormonally I was very depressed at that stage.

My doctor and I discussed this, and decided to increase my antidepressant (I'm currently on Zoloft) slightly. That has helped. Also, I just tried to allow myself to feel whatever emotions I needed to. The six weeks recovery period is not altogether physical, although of course that's a big chunk. It's also very psychological and emotional. Your body has been through A LOT, and it is trying to balance itself out, without all the hormones it's used to.

Try to be patient with yourself, and I think that will help a lot. The answer for my depression was that I needed to rely more on my Lord Jesus Christ for the answers. I tend to want to try to understand why I'm feeling what I'm feeling and dwell on it until I'm even further depressed. My spiritual mentor taught me last week that I need to just give those feelings, as they come to the surface, to the Lord, and tell Him that He needs to deal with them, because I can't.

That has helped me significantly. I went back to work today after being off for almost 7 weeks. (My surgery was Nov. 3)

So, keep your head up. If you continue to feel depressed, please reach out for help. I speak from experience here--I had to be hospitalized twice this last year for depression--don't let it go too far! Ask your doctor for some medication, and seek out some counseling if you think that would help.

Above all, don't expect yourself to be yourself yet. It will take time. And hopefully (for all of us) the person that emerges after this recovery journey will be much stronger and more passionate about life than before.

Blessings to you!

Sarah [my email is: [email protected]]
Unread 12-18-2000, 05:58 PM
Thanks To All You Sisters Again!

Thank God I found this site a week before surgery. All of you have helped me out tremendously. I talked to a friend of mine who had this surgery in May and she had no where to turn for support-I wouldn't be doing anywhere near as well w/o my sisters!
Every post to this subject has hit home with me-I related to every single one of your responses. I, too have suffered from depression prior to surgery, one of the reasons I now believe, is all of the stress my body was going though trying to cope with the mess I had in my abdomen.
I went to my female gyn today and she was very unsympathetic-she gave me the name of a shrink to call-she said that there was NO WAY that the HRT was causing my daily headaches (I don't believe it) and that I must have other problems if I am emotional. She would not prescribe anything. I understand that she deals with the female repro system, but-come on, could I be the only woman suffering from depression in relation to this? I doubt it, especially after reading your posts.
I have a very hard time delegating or accepting help (forget about asking for it!!).
I am really disappointed with her response. My biggest problem, in looking for another doctor, is that I live on a tiny island in S.C. and would have to drive to Savannah, GA (40 miles) to go to another doctor. There are only two gyn's on this island and one of them is not accepting new patients.
I certainly don't think I need therapy. What I need is a doctor who understands what I am going through. When I asked her today how many stitches I had internally, her repsonse was "I am not going to tell you. Why would you want to know? You had a lot of stitches to repair everything" Gee, thanks.
I am pretty frustrated.
I am a very spiritual person, and have been praying that everything works out and that this is just another rough patch on the road of life.

Unread 12-18-2000, 06:03 PM
Question for ShellK

Why did they decide to up your HRT?? I am also on the Vivelle Dot after 2 weeks on Premarin. Curious.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register