has any of you gotten a hysterectomy because of painful periods and painful intercour | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

has any of you gotten a hysterectomy because of painful periods and painful intercour has any of you gotten a hysterectomy because of painful periods and painful intercour

Unread 09-19-2004, 09:23 PM
has any of you gotten a hysterectomy because of painful periods and painful intercour

I'VE HAVE PAIN A WEEK BEFORE AND DURING MY PERIODS AND HURT THE REST OF THE TIME TOO MY SEX LIFE IS TERRIBLE BECAUSE IT ALWAYS HURTS SOMETIMES I END UP IN THE HOSPITAL IN SO MUCH PAIN BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE SOMETHING STRONG TO TAKE TO GET RID OF THE PAIN OR I HURT SO BAD I CAN'T WALK.I HAD A SCOPE DONE IN 2001 AND THE DR SAID I HAD A ENLARGED UTERUS FULL OF BLOOD VESSELS AND WANTED TO REMOVE IT.HE SAID NOTHING ELSE WOULD WORK.I WAS SCARE ABOUT SURGERY SO I TOOK BIRTH CONTROL AND HERBS AND LOTS OF ALEVE FOR A COUPLE YEARS.I NOW AM JUST SO TIRD OF HURTING AND NOT BEING BEING BALE TO FUNCTION I HURT SITTING HERE WRITTING THIS.I'M CONSIDERING SURGERY I AM GOING TO TALK WITH SOMEONE FROM THE HERS FOUNDATION TO SEE WHAT THEY THINK TOMMORROW.I GO TO MY DRS WED AND SIGN PAPERWORK SO CAN GET MEDICAL RECORDS ON ME BECUASE THEY HAVE TO GET CONSENT TO REMOVE MY UTERUS.ITS MY B-DAY TODAY I TURN 27.IS THERE ANYONE OUT THAT DID OR WOULD GET SURGERY FOR THESE REASONS?IS THIS A GOOD ENOUGH REASON TO UNDER GO A HYTERECTOMY?I DON'T WANT TO HURT ANYMORE THE DR I GO TO NOW SAYS THE SCOPE WE DID LAST MONTH WAS NORMAL EVERYTHING LOOKED FINE BUT HE WAS CONCERNED WITH ALL THE BLOOD VESSELS AND THAT I WAS A LITTLE PROLASPED.HE SAID IF YOU GOT THE SURGERY I CAN PRMISE YOU WON'T HAVE ANYMORE PERIODS.BUT UNTIL THEY REMOVE THE UTERUS AND THEN TAKE A LOOK THEY CAN'T TELL ME WHY OR WHAT IS CAUSEING ALL MY PAIN.ANOTHER DR TOLD ME THAT THE DR THAT DID MY FIRST SCOPE THINKS THAT IF HE TAKES MY UTERUS I WILL BE BETTER.MY FATHER IN LAW IS A RETIRED DR OF 40 YEARS AND HE THINKS I SHOULD GET THE SURGERY.ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2004, 09:31 PM
has any of you gotten a hysterectomy because of painful periods and painful intercour

I myself had surgery because of never ending pain, ranging from constant ache, to severe, bending over, laying in fetal position, wanting to die pain. Heavy bleeding, clotting. Lower back and hip pain. Uncomfortable sex life.

So, Yes I did have this surgery to end my pain. Would I have this surgery again to do all over, yes I would.

Each person has to really look deep inside and make the decision for herself. Make sure you know all there is to know about this surgery. There are some great links here on this website. Look at all the pros and cons. Get a second opinion. Make sure you are at peace with your decision.

Ok off my soap box LOL. I hope you are feeling better soon.

'S
Unread 09-19-2004, 09:43 PM

Yes - definitely pain is a perfect reason to have this surgery! You should not be miserable!! I had my TAH BSO to alleviate pain and I'm really glad I did!! I know what a big decision it is - I agonized! I really didn't want to have a hyst. I fought it as long as I could but in the end it was what my body needed to become healthy! I am 6.5 weeks post op and I already feel much much better!!

Of course, my Dr. would not make any guarantees either and that doesn;t make the decision any easier!

Please take your time and think about it, but don't think that you should be tough and deal with the pain. If you are in as much pain as you say you are, you need to do something to try make your body healthy again!! Remember it is your health and that is the our most valuable possesion!

Having been where you are - I know how you feel! Remember to put yourself first - think about how you feel and we're here for you!

Feel free to PM or e-mail if you want to!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2004, 09:56 PM

This is a personal decision that only you can make. I made a list of the pros and cons and weighed them as I saw them. However, for me the pain issue is a HUGE factor and if I can get ANY relieve I am all for it.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

Tasha71...........
I too am experiencing ALL of the symptoms you described. I am praying for relief of these symptoms even as I sit and type. I am scheduled for surgery on the 28th but it looks like surgery may get cancelled because insurance is denying it. But it is very encouraging to hear that someone else has gotten relieve from these symptoms with surgery. And as far as I am concerned.......the battle isn't over yet. I will appeal until they cover it.
Unread 09-19-2004, 10:06 PM

I am having my surgery on Oct 18th. I have been in pain for many years due to severe prolapse and my bladder and rectum are prolapsing into my vagina as well. Sex is painful, periods are horrible and I have to monitor my activities to keep my pain level tolerable. I am 29 years old and didn't think this kind of stuff could happen to me at this age. But I know for me it is the best decision. You need to decide this for yourself. If you need to make a list for yourself of the pros and cons and then decide from there. This is not something to take lightly but neither is your pain.

I am sending you lots of
Unread 09-19-2004, 10:45 PM

Hi There,
I'm 29 and I am in almost the same boat as you are in, and I'm scheduled for my hyster in 9 days (yikes!). I am having the same problems...heavy periods, painful three weeks out of four, painful sex, mainly the severe cramping though. This all started after the birth of my son two years ago, and I never had problems with that area of my body before that. I have been working with my dr for the past year to find different treatments for the pain/bleeding, such as provera, controlling my insulin levels (which worked somewhat for the bleeding, though I still pass large clots, but I'm not bleeding for the length of time that I used to), but the symptoms have continued to worsen over the last year.

I, too, had a scope that was relatively normal. He didn't do a hysteroscopy (I'm not sure why, as we had planned on it), but the ultrasound just showed two small fibroids, nothing else that he thought could explain the symptoms. So we tried conservative management for a year. After the birth of my son, my uterus is also retroverted and my bladder practically turned upside down, and even though the dr says that retroversion of the uterus shouldn't cause pain, I believe that may be some of it, especially the sexual pain.

Anyway, I had terrible pregnancies, and I have my two kids, but even so it was a very hard decision, one that took me a year to make, then after scheduling it, it took me several weeks of hours a day on this website to make me feel like I had made the right decision. You didn't mention if you had kids or if that was an issue that you need to consider.

It's hard for me to go in without some certain pathology that is causing my pain, and I think that's what you're feeling too. It isn't life threatening, cancerous, or even something where they can take a picture of it and say "there...that's what's making you hurt." Then surgery would be the obvious answer. Where we sit right now is so much of a gray area.

I finally came to the conclusion that, no, my condition isn't life threatening, but it is LIFESTYLE threatening. I have two small kids and a husband and a job and dogs and a house and a life that I just am not able to take care of/live/enjoy the way I'm feeling now, and honest attempts at conservative measures have failed. I'm sure that there will be moments of panic and regret because I won't ever hold another newborn baby again, but I am trying to anticipate it and expect it and then get through it. This was the biggest hurdle for me in deciding to or not to have this surgery. But I think that by having all the facts, knowing that I honestly tried everything else, and anticipating what I might be feeling following the surgery, I will be as prepared as I can be, and when it's all said and done, it will have been the right decision for me, an educated decision.

I hope that if you have any doubts that you will get a second opinion. I'm not saying your dr is bad or uninformed...he may be the best dr in the world, but for your own piece of mind, have a second opinion. This is a good option to take care of some really debilitating problems, but at our age I think it needs to be weighed a little more carefully.

Let us know what you decide, and stick with the girls here at the website. They have made a world of difference for me. Take care!
Unread 09-19-2004, 10:47 PM

Hi Blondie,
Yes, I am having surgery for pain only. I have tremendous cramping for 3-4 days during my period. It hurts from my shoulder blades down into my legs. My quality of life for those 4 days is horrendous. I take way too many pain pills for these cramps and I have a child I need to be around for. I have spent 3 years convincing my doctors I am worth it! Sex hurts but only because I had a terrible doctor when my son was born and my episiotomy scar is pretty bad.

You have to weigh the pros and cons of having it, the benefits and the downfalls. Mine pros were pretty significant compared to the downfalls, like burning a hole in my gut, being on dialysis because my liver failed or having a kidney transplant! I think in all honesty, based on the amount of Ibu I have taken in the last 10 years, I am lucky to have this chance....
Hugs and best of luck....
Kat
Unread 09-19-2004, 11:13 PM

Oh my, sardine sized clots are not normal? Really?? My doctor asked if my periods are heavy, and since it is not normal conversation (How big are your clots during your period?) I didnt know that that wasnt normal. rofl I suppose that what I feel is normal now I am gonna find out is hugely abnormal. Maybe I might have a chat with him before surgery....hehe
Kat
Unread 09-19-2004, 11:49 PM
hyster for PAIN alone..

Well... I had awful bleeding cramping and clots until i think the progesterone only birth controls started to have an effect, just this last month ( after 4 months of taking them).

And the bleeding problems didn't happen.. in fact, i hardly bled at ALL.

BUT.. the pre-menstrual pains were just as debilitating.. ( body aches, weakness all over, emotionally totally out of it, dropping things... legs ache, etc. etc)..

AND... my 6cm fibroid hurts all the time.. a dull to sharp pain and sometimes feels as bad as a migraine headache... right where it is..

If i eat one ounce extra (and I am already quite thin)... PAIN.
If I have one ounce of stress.... PAIN.

If I do too much.. PAIN.

It is ready to flare up ALL the time...

So.. does that sound familiar?

I must admit, I am still unsure about having everything taken out. Even tho I'm am 54.. ( i still am nowhere near menopause, apparently).

And I am uncertain, yet, about the orgasm thing..

BUT.. I will be having the hyster. at this point.. FOR PAIN ONLY.

best,
karin
Unread 09-20-2004, 12:46 AM
anyone have these problems!

my periods are normal no heavy beeding just alot of pelvic pain and pain during intercourse.i hurt all the time but before i start a period and during and during intercourse is the worst.i have been having some brownish colored discharge before i start though the last two months.i have'nt been starting my period on the same day every month though it comes between 28-35 days.i have back pain and my legs hurt even if i have'nt been walking much. is anyone thinking of getting surgery for for these problems or has?i'am new to this website and need to no what lavh and the others mean and how to reply to messages and stuff.thanks BLONDIE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register