For my Adhesion Sisters! You are NOT Alone! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

For my Adhesion Sisters! You are NOT Alone! For my Adhesion Sisters! You are NOT Alone!

Unread 09-23-2004, 07:53 AM
For my Adhesion Sisters! You are NOT Alone!

Today is International Adhesion Awarness Day... Just wanted to let you all know you are not alone in your pain and suffering. There are friends around the world spreading awareness today, to bring this monster out in the open and give it some attention in the public, government, and medical communities. So we get some attention and can be treated appropriately! Adhesion Related Disease or ARD is real. Those of us that suffer from it, know this. So my sisters know this, you are being hugged today whether your suffering is being treated, or if you are suffering in silence. You are NOT alone! The word is spreading!

SusieQM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2004, 08:35 AM

I have heard about adhesions and was told a myomectomy was not a good choice for me because after myo, some 60-80% women end up with adhesions.

Will a regular hyst cause adhesions? (My hyst will be LSH or lap with removal of cervix). What can be done to prevent them?
Unread 09-23-2004, 08:47 AM

Hey Susie Q!

Thanks for this uplifting message and a right back at 'ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Adhesions!

((( Cindy ))) Unfortunately Adhesions form as a result of most any surgery, mine was LAVH. Some of us are prone to more dense and problematic formation of scar tissue, thus causing further problems. The best thing you can do sweetie is to discuss the measures your doctor will do to prevent scar tissue from developing as a result of your surgery. Discuss barrier use, etc. No barrier available in the US is currently 100% effective, but they can be useful for some. The old saying rings true, what works for some, may not work for others, but it is worth a discussion and a try. The best thing is education. I have a body that likes to go overboard in the creation of scar tissue. So for me, I am in pain management right now and doing well! I know more now, than I did then.. I am in no way sorry I am on this path... I just wish I had more education then. Good luck to you!!!! 's

((((( Michelle)))) Have a great day sweetie!!!!! Susie
Unread 09-23-2004, 01:47 PM
A Sister After My Own Heart!

Hey, Sue!

Well, we've sure been through it on this road, haven't we? Good post, my friend.

Cindy, I'm also one of those dreaded "adhesion growers". It's good just to discuss all these options with your doctor and know the pros and the cons up front. Like Sue, I wish I knew then what I know now but I sure can't say it's been boring! Any surgery has the ability to result in scar tissue. In my case, I even had a lap appendectomy years ago where the surgeon cut down adhesions resulting from a chronically inflamed appendix. My gynecologist figured she was going to find masses of adhesions when she went in to do my hyst and to her surprise (and mine), she found very few. Yet, after my hysterectomy I developed them and knew I had them within days of my surgery. Everyone is different. Hugs to you.
Unread 09-23-2004, 02:12 PM

Thank you for the info. I guess I'm just surprised because I am avoiding myo in part because of the adhesion problem. I did independently verify (reviewing a scientific study) that myo does have this high (60-80%) incidence of adhesions. I am hoping and assuming there's a lower rate with hyst.
Unread 09-23-2004, 02:24 PM
New Procedure for Fibroids

Cindy,

I just remembered that I recently heard of a new non-invasive procedure to eliminate Fibroid tumors. They had a segment about it on one of the national morning news shows. If I recall correctly, it was something not unlike the procedure for eliminating kidney stones. Seems like it had something to do with injections or something? I just remember it because it was a big headliner discussion with the tag line of how to avoid a Hysterectomy. I always perk up anytime I hear about hyterectomies so it caught my attention. Ask your doctor about it or do some research on the net. Just wanted to run that by you.
Unread 09-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Thanks, Anita. I think it was uterine fibroid embolization. I looked into that, researched it extensively and totally decided against it.

It may also be this new ultrasound treatment. But that is in trials, as I understand it. And it wouldn't solve my bleeding problem.

Thanks much.
Unread 09-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Cindy Kudo's

Cindy, Kudo's to you for doing your homework! That is the best thing you can do... And you can learn alot here! I had adhesions prior to my hyster, which was done, LAVH. Since then I have had 2 surgeries both laparascopies to remove adhesions. The second one my doctor used the barrier Interceed. I can only imagine what I would be like if they had to open me up! So I am thankful for vaginal and laprascopic work as I probably would be worse than I am today. I said before I am not sorry to be on this path... I meant, not sorry about my choice to move forward with my hyster. I'm sorry to have to struggle with the daily issues of pain. But thanks to so far successful PM, I am able to live life again mostly normal.

Good luck....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register