Should I be worried | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I be worried Should I be worried

Unread 09-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Should I be worried

Hi all,

I am sick at home with what feels like the worst flu and sinus infection I have ever had, and today my GYN nurse called and said that they got my mammogram results back and that there is a 1 cm nodule on the left breast that the radiologist is concerned about so I am to go Wednesday for another mammogram and then GYN wants to see me Friday. I wasn't to concerned until she scheduled me an appointment before the second mammogram was done BUT my GYN will be gone for 2 weeks so maybe that is why, but I thought they would just call and say ok or not ok. I don't know if I should be worried or not. I am a nervous wreck all I need is more medical bills to stack up with all the ones I have already just scares me to death about the money even with insurance.
Any suggestions will be helpful this is the first mammogram I have had that needed to be repeated for a finding. Thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Should I be worried

((((Sammie))))) Sorry you've received these news as you are fighting a flu: know all about that feeling, as I had to come early today, due to the same bug

I also remember how worried I was when my GP sent me for a mammogram, insisting that her secretary book it, in order to avoid the long waits. And then, to top it all off, the note said that she wanted a physician to follow up the mammogram with a manual exam.... sent shivers down my spine

In my case, the worries were for nothing: turned out that I was just dealing with a nodule, but not really with a growth that I should be worried about.

Hopefully, this is all much ado about nothing and it will all turn out ok. Sending tons of s your way. Please be sure to keep us posted.
Unread 09-24-2004, 06:12 PM
HI

Hi Sammie,
Just wanted to wish you luck with the mammo. I know how scary it is. Nobody that I knew had a call back on their mammo, yet the very first mammo I had came back showing something, and I had to go to a different place for a repeat. Turns out is was just dense breast tissue, and with the repeat done with more compression it was fine. Just wanted to give you a little piece of mind for now!! Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Should I be worried

Hi,

Thanks for the kind encouraging words the radiologist saw this nodule and was concerned and wanted a better view of it so I am guessing that it is nothing to worry about. I still don't know why I have to see the GYN after this 2nd mammogram they just said when I went the first time I would get something in the mail but like I said my GYN is going to be gone for 2 weeks so he may just want to see me before he leaves on his trip. But I would be content with a phone call saying it is alright. I have so many fibroysistic lumps it's beyond me how they can tell the difference but the Tech said oh they can. So for now I am not going to worry you both have made me feel a lot better...Thank you so much... (Dany I hope you get to feeling better soon I know this flu I have is awful)...
Unread 09-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Should I be worried

hi, sammie. Try not to worry to much,I know that is easier said then done. I went through almost the same thing in february. I had discovered a lump beside my left breast and showed my dr. He sent for a mamo right away, they found something IN my left breast and I had to go for an ultrasound. The radiologist came in and told me right away that he figured it was a fibroadenoma, which is a non cancerous lump and nothing to worry about, that they do not become cancer. I still wasn`t comforted by this and insisted on a biopsy, because I have breast cancer in my family,lost my aunt and great aunt. I had the biopsy done and it was confirmed a fibroadenoma. I stopped worrying about it and now have regular check ups and mamo`s every six mounths, all is good so far. I know how scary this can be, so hang in there, my thoughts are with you.
Unread 09-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Should I be worried

Hi,

Well I went today for the repeat mammogram the Tech showed me my films and sure enough I saw the lump big enough to see so she said she would do another and see if it was still there so she did it and said it's still there now you are to go for a ultrasound, the ultrasound Tech wasn't nearly as nice as the first Tech, well she had a hard time finding what was in the mammogram on the ultra sound she found something near the nipple but wasn't sure if it was gland tissue, so I said well thats good and she said well you can't see everything on a ultrasound that you can on a mammogram and visa versa...So I said well now what she said well your doc will probably either A) biopsy the spot from the mammogram B) wait 6 months and do another mammograam or C) do nothing...I thought well good grief I know the ultrasound are expensive I am not sure I am happy with those choices, but I guess it is really up to my GYN and me as what to do, she did ask me if I was seeing him soon and I said yes Friday. She said oh my these films may not be ready but he can call the radiologist and get his recorded diagnosis....I say wait 6 months do another mammogram and see if it's gone....doesn't that sound like a good idea...??? Well guess I better wait the GYN may have an answer as to what the darn thing is, I can feel it now it's a hard pee like thing maybe a bit bigger I am not worrying any more geeze all this medical stuff is getting onmy nerves I am not one that is good about going for test.....I will let you know on Friday hec maybe there was never anything at all there.....and the mammogram just thinks so....Oh they also said mammogram is still the best way to detect problems I say why do both but I guess it's better to be careful..

Thanks for listening.....
Unread 09-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Should I be worried

Oh ((((Sammie)))) sounds like you came out of these tests more confused than before

I know my sister and few others who had suspicious mammograms or suspicious Pap smears and the doctor's decision was to take a wait and see approach: guess it all depends on how they interpret what they see

Sending tons of s your way. Sounds like you're taking the right attitude of not worrying until you hear from the doctor. Please be sure to keep us updated
Unread 09-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Should I be worried

Hi Dany,

Yep you are right I am more confused than ever, when I got home my SO said well did you expect anything different it's been like this the whole time you have been recovering from the hysto...and he is right I have had some strange things happen and usually with no explantion, I love my GYN, although in the past I got irritated with him but overall he is a super guy and I really feel that if he believes that there is any chance of something wrong he will act on it. Unless he is having one of his busy days and forgets why I am there..lol...I have come to terms with the fact that he is human and is busy just like I am in my job, I was so sensitive right after the surgery but emotions were flying high and I thought I was going to bounce back in a couple of weeks well that didn't happen. I am dealing with the possibility of my endo being back and I have chosen to wait and see how bad it gets but I have made a decision that I am going to find a new bowel doctor and I will talk to him Friday about that I just can't take this pain and bowel stuff any longer. I really think a lot of my problems are hormone related I wasn't even supposed to be on them for 6 months after the hysto but my meno was to bad. Thanks for writing I appreciate it a lot I don't talk much to anyone outside of this site simply becasue I have had so many problems and people really don't know what to say...Take care hope you got over the flu....
Unread 09-30-2004, 07:45 AM
Biopsy??

Hi, Sammie.

Although it's been a long time, I have also gone through the same thing with the mammogram/ultrasound thing and questioning whether I should have a biopsy or not. Just remember, no matter how much you love your gynecologist, it's your body. If you don't feel comfortable with a "wait and see" approach or if you find yourself distracted about it to the point that you are always thinking about it, you might want to seek a second opinion or even insist on a biopsy. When this happened to me I asked the doctor what he would recommend if it were his wife and he said he'd tell her to wait and see. I pondered on that a few days and decided that wasn't the route I wanted to take and I had the biopsy. Thankfully, it was nothing but at least my mind was released from the worry. Hugs to you.
Unread 10-01-2004, 02:21 PM
My doctor appt

Hi,

Well I went today sweating bullets all the way the lump I have is behind my nipple and is a category 3 cyst which there are four categories according to radiology with this type of it is not fluid filled it is solid I would have rather it had fluid...category (1 is normal (2 is benign (3 is prob benign and (4 is cancerous, I would rather be a 1 or 2 but I'll take the 3 over a 4. GYN said that I have very dense breast which makes it hard for mammogram to read and I am at a higher risk for tumors, I asked what he would do and he said that I can have a biopsy to absolutely say benign or wait and have a repeat mammogram in 6 months, I chose to wait he said that if it is cancerous it won't change that much in 6 months but he feels comfortable that it is not cancerous. He left it up to me and said that he wished he could tell me 100% that it's not a cancerous but he can't. I want to get the paper back from radiology this thing has been called a lump a cyst a nodule so I would really like to read what the radiologist called it. I am ok I feel I made the right decision and if I get scared I can get a biopsy anytime. I am a little shaky that it is solid and not a 1 or 2 but am just so darn thankful it isn't a 4... I talked to him about my bowel problem and since I was there so long today and worn out he and I will discuss a referral on the 20th when I see him..Thank you so much you all have been super....Do you all think I made the right decision??? I really trust your opinions...take care

PS.. I lost another 6 pounds....yipeeeeeeeee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register