results of biopsy tomorrow, help? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

results of biopsy tomorrow, help? results of biopsy tomorrow, help?

Unread 09-28-2004, 11:37 AM
results of biopsy tomorrow, help?

Tomorrow I go for my biopsy results. I am very afraid. My sister is driving over 150 miles to go with me. What should I be asking the doctor? All I can think of asking is "how bad is it?". I am imagining all of the possibilities but hoping and praying for the best. I went to my family physician yesterday because I am a ball of nerves and have been in a lot of pain, she gave me pain medicine and prscription for anti-depressant. I think I needed an ANTI ANXIETY MED!

Can anyone tell me what I may be feeling if the doctor gives me bad news tomorrow? I don't know what my emotions will do? My sister called and we tried to come up with a "game plan" tomorrow if I get bad news, i.e. should I arrange for someone to take care of my son afterwards? for the day? to have some processing time? what will I be processing? How should I process.

MY MIND IS DRIVING ME NUTS! I THINK I NEED SOME VALIUM! I THINK I NEED SOME VALIUM EVEN BEFORE I GO!

AM I OVER WORRYING? HAVE I PUT UNECESSARY STRESS ON MY SISTER FOR DRIVING HERE WITH 2 LITTLE KIDS AND ARRANGING CHILD CARE FOR THEM WHILE SHE GOES WITH ME?

I DIDN'T WORK LAST WEEK DUE TO EXTREME PAIN AND BLEEDING (NOT TO MENTION EMOTINAL DISTRESS) AND THIS IS A JOB I JUST STARTED A FEW WEEKS AGO, YESTERDAY MY BOSS SAID THAT IF I AM GOING TO BE OUT OF WORK FOR EVEN 2 WEEKS THAT SHE WOULD NEED TO REPLACE ME.

PAST HISTORY, CURRENT PROBLEMS, 5 YEARS SINCE GYN VISIT AND DR'S INITIAL REACTION HAVE ME QUITE TERRIFIED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2004, 11:45 AM

Shell40

First of all.....take a DEEP breath.........

Go into this appointment assuming you will receive good news. I think it is good that your sister is going with you. In the event it is not good news, keep in mind that everyone "processes" news differently. For me, it took awhile to sink in.

Please keep us posted on your results....try to relax and think only positive thoughts until your appointment.....
Unread 09-28-2004, 12:34 PM
take another deep breath

What you are feeling is normal. While each of us respond in different ways to good or bad news, we each eventually process the information and then start to plan. The waiting and worrying is the worse. I found that when the doctor called to tell me my news, I just calmly (it seemed) asked a couple of relevant questions (don't know how I managed that), and I wrote down the dx. She was pretty cool and repeated a couple of times the information in different ways.

I've heard many times on this website "don't waste a good panic". Well, it's true but hard to do. Right now, whatever the news is, there is NOTHING you can do about it. I would suggest going in with a good attitude that whatever it is, you'll deal with it. I'd also prepare some questions that you'll want to ask and plan to write down the answers. If you go with the questions written down, hand them to the doctor so you won't be either 1. so relieved that you don't hear the rest, or 2. scared and don't remember anything. Whatever the news is, you'll want to get as much information as possible. Either way, what is it? how will it be treated? what's next? etc. Once you know, you can plan. For most of us, planning and doing is what keeps us from going nuts. It's the sitting and waiting that is the hardest. Try xanax! My family doc prescribed it for me before my surgery and so those weeks of waiting were much more bearable. Let us know how it goes tomorrow..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2004, 01:45 PM

HUGE 's

I am sorry that you are going thru a time like this. I know how difficult it must be. As Lori said "Take a deep breath....". Do you live alone, if so it is good that your sister is going with you to your doctors appt. Another thing to keep in mind is, that if the doctor does say that it is cancer, to get a refferal to a gyn/onc. They are the best ones when it comes gyn cancers.

My prayers are with you, and

God Bless
Unread 09-28-2004, 02:07 PM

Hey Shell,
You are in the very worst part right now. Your diagnosis, good or bad, will be better than how you feel today. When I went to see the gyn/onc I did not know that I had cancer but it was almost a relief to learn that I did. He wrote down everything, the diagnosis, all the treatment plans, even side effects. Then I knew! I didn't have to worry anymore and I knew exactly when my treatment would begin and end. I saw the radiation oncologist the next day and began my treatment within the week. At last I was doing something to solve the problem!

I had an old perscription for ativan, an anti-anxiety medication. I took it before my appointment and I still take it before gyn/oncologist appointments. Call your doctor and ask if they will phone in a perscription for ativan. It helps to calm you and also helps if you have trouble sleeping.

As for processing, I think that just takes time. Immediately following my appointment, I told my husband and son and no one else. I was busy reading all the information the doctor had given me and busy worrying about losing my hair! Although the chemo used for cervical cancer does not have hair loss as a side effect and I lost no hair. When a diagnosis like this happens, you are busy trying to get things done, treatments scheduled, blood work, things like that. You just go one day at a time, getting everything taken care of.

IF you have cervical cancer, and that's a BIG IF, you will be fine. Cervical cancer can be treated and cured, either by surgery or chem/radiation. Both are completely doable. You WILL get through either. In a couple of months you will be FINE, no matter what happens tomorrow.

Write down any and every question that you might have. Ask your doctor to write down everything because you won't remember anything. Or ask your sister to take notes. If you aren't yet seeing a gyn/oncologist then make sure you get a referral to one if you need any treatments. Do not let a gyn treat you or do surgery if there is ANY chance of cancer. They just do not have the experience in cancer surgery or cancer treatment.

You will be fine, honest! Hang in there and be sure to let us know what happens tomorrow.

Hugs and comfort,
Janie
Unread 09-28-2004, 02:20 PM

Shell,
I forgot to ask, did your doctor do a pap smear before the biopsy? If so, what were the results of that?

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 09-28-2004, 05:02 PM

Hi ((Shell)), Uncertainty can be the hardest part and you may feel less anxious once you learn your DX since you can either relax or if need be take the bulls by the horn and do what is necessary to get back to good health. If there is any suspicion there may be cancer please consider seeing a gyn/oncologist also. While my gyn did my surgery she was assisted, at her insistance, by a gyn/onc - they are the experts. I am glad you sister is with you especially if you are living alone. Please let us know how you do.
Keeping you in prayer.
s, peggiesue
Unread 09-30-2004, 10:02 PM

Hey Shell,
You must tell us what happened at your appointment. I've been thinking about you and praying that everything went well. Please let us know!

Thanks,
Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register