Need Help Getting DR To Listen - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Help Getting DR To Listen Need Help Getting DR To Listen

Unread 10-02-2004, 08:37 AM
THANKS

Dear Sister,
Thanks for all of your replies. It looks like all of us that aren't "text-book" recoveries had to deal with being ignored more than once! How many of you have, had or believe that your current problems are adhesion related? And why aren't we warned about this possible outcome before hand? Shouldn't all abdominal surgeries be treated as "possible" adhesion promoters and be done with a barrier? So many question, so much frustration!
Thanks Again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Need Help Getting DR To Listen

whatsnormal,

That is a VERY GOOD QUESTION! Why aren't we warned by the gynecologist? After my surgery, my doctor kept telling me he had "never heard of such a thing" and he even got angry with me when I kept insisting there was a problem. Turns out he had been sued quite a few times before and some of those were for my same problem; the one he had "never heard of" before me. Hmmm. Guess he wasn't paying attention in court?

There are a LOT of possible consequences of this kind of surgery that we are routinely NOT told about. This is classic "buyer beware" and whether we are buying jewelry, used cars or hysterectomies; we, as women, need to become more informed consumers. No matter what the business is, as long as there is a demand for a product there will be always be questionable "vendors" and gullible "customers". Make no mistake, health care in the USA is a BUSINESS.

I had to sign more papers, read more information and provide more records to lease a car than I had to do before this major, life-altering, permanent surgery. What's wrong with that picture?
Unread 10-03-2004, 05:26 AM

Hi There,

I am with Carmen only I had that same experience. I had serve endo/aden and was told nothing was wrong with me for 1.5 years. Even after I started having my periods for 11 days every other week I still got the cold shoulder and was told to take 800 mg of Motrin as many times during the day as I could stand; I was up to 10 per day. Finally, 1 week before my last appointment, I sent OBGYN a letter telling him who I was to refresh his memory of me before my appointment explaining my misery and how I wanted a hysterectomy because I was in so much pain. I listed how many times I went to different Drs within the 1.5 years for the same problem, but got no results. In addition to my letter, I attached 3 months of my symptoms/levels of pain everyday. Within 24hrs, my OBGYN called me on my cell phone freaking out. OBGYN said he would do a hysterectomy and 1 week later in his office I was set up for surgery 6 weeks later. To OBGYN's surprise I had serve endo/aden.

Two weeks post op I complained of upper right quadrant abdominal pain. Again, I got the run around. I had several test to show nothing was wrong with me even though I thought it was my gallbladder. I was tired of the same routine and wrote a letter and listed my symptoms. My gallbladder came out 6 weeks later and guess what? To my Dr's. surprise, I had a chronic inflammed gallbladder.

Life is much better now!

My husband has always told me that if something is not in writing, it never happened; he was so right.

Hope this info helps and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Re: THANKS

Quote:
Originally posted by whatsnormal
How many of you have, had or believe that your current problems are adhesion related? And why aren't we warned about this possible outcome before hand? Shouldn't all abdominal surgeries be treated as "possible" adhesion promoters and be done with a barrier?
Very good question!!! In my case, and I suspect that is the case with many others, I wasn't told that adhesions could be a post-hyst problem, because I didn't ask!!! The same goes for possible bladder and bowel issues: I wasn't told this could be a complication, because I didn't ask!!!

One thing I've noticed, over the years, is that the doctors I have been involved will not supply this type of information, unless they're asked. And most patients will not ask, because they do not know that those could be possible complications. Talk about a vicious cycle!!!

I was lucky, in a way, because I do not have problems with adhesions. However, I have found that, since my hyst, my IBS problems have increased tenfold. My doctor has confirmed that, due to the bowels being so close to the surgical area and because they will settle into the vacated space after the surgery, my increased bowel problems are, most likely, directly linked to the hyst.

Where the incontinence issues are concerned, the hyst has been deemed as much to blame as delivering two large babies has been. Furthermore, I've been told that if I'd been sent for Pelvic Therapy as soon as I was released for such things, the problems could have been avoided.

I think that's why sites such as this one are sooooo important: we get to read about the possible complications, to ask about the likelihood of the problems occuring and, if possible, can take preventative measures to either avoid the problems or, at least, minimize their impact.
Unread 10-04-2004, 08:14 AM

Actually, I was told EVERYTHING that could possibly happen when I went in to schedule my hyst - at least 3 times. EVERYTHING - including death -no matter how unlikely and my doctor said, "we'll do our best to fix it while we are in there if something happens, but I do want you to know what could happen". On the list was permanent loss of bladder function, kidney damage, intestinal damage .. .you get the picture - very serious talk. Usually there is some joking around between us, but not this time.

Then I went in for a talk with the scheduling nurse and it was all there in writing and she read it to me, and I read it and then signed it. Then, when I went to the hospital - you guessed it round 3. I even read my doctors orders for the next day so that I knew exactly what to expect when I arrived. I do better if I know what's coming.

If you're doctor does not communicate well with you or you don't communicate well with him, then my best advice is to find a doctor that you are in sync with. Its like any other relationship, quality communication is very important.

Lots of s for all of you.
Unread 10-04-2004, 11:59 AM

Michelle,

Do you have any idea how RARE your doctor is?! What your doctor did is exactly what I am now lobbying for every doctor to do. No woman should have this surgery without ALL the possible (and in some cases probable) consequences clearly spelled out. Having ALL the information before you decide is the only way to make an INFORMED consent and every woman is entitled to full disclosure. This should be standardized.

When you said everything, did he also discuss endocrine, vascular and the raised risk of heart disease? I haven't heard of one who did that yet but it sounds like your doctor is very thorough. (I would love to see a copy of your doctor's disclosure list.)

For those of us who DIDN'T have doctors as thorough, Dany reiterates a good point: How are we supposed to know if we are not asking the right questions if we don't know the questions to ask?

If you trust your doctor has given you all the information and you find out too late that this faith was misplaced, it can have devastating consequences. Again, I think we need standardized forms.
Unread 10-05-2004, 03:02 PM

Lucille:

Don't get me started on how wonderful my doc is. He really thinks about his patients best interests, arms them with the facts, gives them CHOICES and [I hope you are sitting down for this one .... ] SUPPORTS their choice. I am one spoiled after having this

I really do think he treats his patients the way he'd want his own sister, wife, mother, or daughter to be treated. He cares.

I can't recall exactly what all was said, but I can not imagine anything was left off that list. It was pretty dire stuff and I kind of went into temporary overload - too much info. If I can find the paperwork, I will check on the specifics and will get back to you.
Unread 10-05-2004, 08:05 PM

Oh ((((Michelle))))) your doctor does sound exceptionnal... a keeper for sure

BTW, the OB/GYN who performed my hyst is an excellent doctor, with an awesome record and one I'm very comfortable with: not only did he deliver my DD, he also was the attending doctor when I suffered through a miscarriage, a few years before

I did cover lots of issues and we'd also discussed a lot of the pros and cons 2 years before my hyst, when the fibroid was first diagnosed and I was trying to decide on the course of action to take. He may have thought that we had discussed all of the risks.. and, may have indeed discussed them

Still, there remains the fact that there were some risks I was unaware of. I don't think it would have changed my decision, but it would have meant that I would have take measures to avoid the problems or, at the very least, limit them.
Unread 10-06-2004, 03:34 PM
update

Hi Sisters,
Just wanted to give you all an update. Just came back from the DR's. He did an internal, no signs of granulation, all looks good, did a rectal (fun) no signs of anything there either. He said I definetly am through the "healing process" and feels it is an "abdominal wall" thing. He feels I should do ab strengthing excerise and see if that helps. I am not a heavy person, as my sister & mother-in-law who had this done with NO problems, and believe me, the didn't exercise after!!! But I am gonna give it a try. He defintley feels that is is not a dangerous type problem. No signs of endo in scar area. I go back in six weeks. Thanks for your help!
Unread 10-06-2004, 08:44 PM

Oh ((((whatsnormal)))) these really are good news !!!

I don't think that your size has anything to do with the doctor's suggestion for abdominal exercises: your abs may just be a little bit "rusty" from lack of use and that's probably what he referred to.

This is really strange: I've noticed that some women with weight issues have no problems with this surgery while other who are fit and slim end up with complications. And yet, there are other cases of women with issues who also have complications (I would fit that category) while others who are slimmer just breeze through the recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register