Pain/recovery of c-section vs. pain/recovery of abdominal hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain/recovery of c-section vs. pain/recovery of abdominal hysterectomy Pain/recovery of c-section vs. pain/recovery of abdominal hysterectomy

Unread 10-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Pain/recovery of c-section vs. pain/recovery of abdominal hysterectomy

Great site, so glad I found this - I just ordered the book!

I go in for an abdominal hysterectormy 10/11/04, leaving ovaries is planned. I had a c-section at age 30 and am now 41. I was up and around pretty quickly after the c-section (though I know I was younger) and I'm hoping for the same with this surgery. Has anyone else experienced both and can you give me your opinion on recovery time comparison?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2004, 11:27 AM

I hope you get the answer to this question because I would love to know the answer too. good luck on your surgery.

missy
Unread 10-01-2004, 11:32 AM

Had a c-section 22 yrs. ago (I was 29), but I was in the hospital for 8 days because I was toxemic and had convlsions, which required the section surgery. It took me a good 6 weeks to feel good, and then aside from the stomach going down, and the whole first child adjustment, I felt ok.

I had a tvh almost 3 months ago and kept my ovaries, and there's no way to really compare the 2 surgeries. I'm finally not feeling "post-op" anymore, but I am definitely not where I was pre-op or where I feel "normal" should be for me. I am older, there are different hormones (or lack thereof) involved, and my health, although it has not been poor (I had the tvh for severe prolapse, also had A&P repairs done) is not the same as it was when I was 29.

My dr. told me this would be the easiest surgery to recover from. I had my gall bladder removed 10 years ago laproscopically, and comparing the TVH to that, well the gall bladder thing wiped me out more in the short run, but by 3 months out I felt really good after that.

We are all different -- so I guess the best thing I can tell you is don't compare this surgery to any you have had before or compare yourself to anyone else either. It just gets frustrating! Keep smiling, and keep your attitude up, and look to the future. I'll be praying for a good and speedy recovery for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2004, 11:45 AM

Ok, short history here, From the time I was 24 until I was 28 I had 3 c-sections and a gallbladder removed all abdominally through a vertical incision, belly button to pubic bone. That being said, fast forward 7 years to Aug. 30th of this year. I felt like it was a little more draining just because I was 7 years older, but on the other hand that just made me push through the fatigue that much more. Because I had already been through several abdominal surgeries I was well aware of what to expect when I woke up as far as the incision was concerned. The thing that I was most worried about was surgical menopause. I kept my ovaries, I had my uterus and cervix removed. I also had hernia repairs done on the incision site with surgical mesh. All in all I would have to say physically it's been about the same. The only difference this time is I really have time to concentrate on me and getting myself rested and healed whereas before I had a baby to take care of. But then again having a baby to take care of kinda kept my mind off the afterpains of childbirth. Everyone is different, but from my perspective I would say mine was pretty much the same,,,, so far...
Unread 10-01-2004, 12:11 PM

Hi,

I didn't have a C-section, but, as a medical professional and former nurse, I do know that the two surgeries, other than the incision placement, are very, very different. So you can't really compare the recovery of one to the other - it'd be like comparing apples to oranges - both a fruit, but very different.

With a hyst, you're having an organ removed instead of just cut and sewn back up. You have literally hundreds of internal stitches holding everything together, not just a few to sew up the incision in the uterus. Blood vessels are severed, nerves are severed, ligaments and tendons are severed and reattached. There is much, much more involved than with a C-section.

The anesthesia is very different too. Most women have epidurals and are awake during C-sections, but with a hyst, you are under general anesthesia for hours at a time. This can cause lingering effects and fatigue for many weeks.

This surgery is not a walk in the park, by any means, but it's also not as bad as a lot of women fear it will be. It is major surgery. The initial recovery period is 6 to 8 weeks with full recovery taking up to a full year.

My advice is to plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

s,

Lisa
Unread 10-01-2004, 02:28 PM

I agree with (((Shashi))). They are really different surgeries, except for the external cut.

I had both a CSection and an TAH. The TAH was a much longer recovery period and after the TAH, I was only expected to take care of me. After the CSection I was nursing, getting very little sleep, etc. So ... I'd say TOTALLY different experiences. Each had their good and bad.

You will be fine. Attitude is everything. Listen to your body and don't overdo. Take short walks when you are able. Do as much for yourself as you reasonably can, and ask for help/pain medicine when you need it.

Unread 10-01-2004, 03:21 PM

I have to agree with both sashi and michelle, even though sashi said she never had a hysterectomy, what she said is the same thing my surgeon said to me when i compared the two surgeries. Like michelle I did have a c-section, 2 as a matter of fact and with the c-section for me it was a much faster recovery I was doing alot of things alot sooner and was not nearly as tired even with caring for a newborn at the time.

Just as was said my doc told me that with a hysterctomy they are taking out your organs and doing alot of stitching, re-sewing and even alot of scrapping(especially with adhesions and endo), which is much more involved than with a c-section. Just as was said comparing the two surgeries is like comparing apples and oranges they are very different. Take care hope you have a wonderful recovery and don't over do.
Unread 10-01-2004, 04:09 PM

Hi! Iam 3 1/2 weeks post-op from a LAVH but due to complications also have a 13 inch incision. I am 25 years old and had 2 c-sections my first in 97 and then in 2000. With my two c-sections I was up and about within a week and felling pretty good. When I woke up in recovery from my hyster. and was told about the extra incision I thought no big deal I've been through that before with the c-sections. Like the other sisters said they are two completly different surgerys. I was in much more pain with the hyster. and very tired and can still get wore out if I'm doing alot during the day. My tummy was also very tender for about 3 weeks. I hope everything goes O.K. for you I will be thinking of you. Good luck. Jen
Unread 10-01-2004, 04:33 PM

Ok ladies,,,,,,,, THAT IS NOT THE ANSWER THAT I WAS HOPING FOR. , RATS, I WAS THINKIG THAT THERE MIGHT NOT BE THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE. I guess that I will have to adjust my thinking now.

thanks
missy
Unread 10-01-2004, 04:36 PM

I must chime in...I asked this same question in June and I was scared to death that my recovery was going to be worse becasue of some of the posts I received. (Atleast I was prepared for the worst), but I was most grateful to those who shared their postive stories. I feel that I must repay the kindness.
I had a c section in 98 (twin delivery). Recovery was typical. I had a TAH in June and I felt that it was much easier than the section. I did take the pain meds I was given and I had a morphine pump for 24 hours after surgery. I went in on a Wed came home on Fri and spent 2 hours sitting at a family 4th of July party on that Sunday...yes, I was tired, but it felt great to be out of the house. At my 6 week appoint my dr asked me how I felt and I told him that I felt like I had never had the surgery. I know that my recovery may not typical, but hopefully your will go as well as mine. I am now working full time and only occasionally do I feel a twinge if I lift something too heavy. Best of luck!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register