Need some support - abdominal support! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need some support - abdominal support! Need some support - abdominal support!

Unread 10-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Need some support - abdominal support!

I am in day 4 post-op and feel like my insides are rattling around. I have seen abdominal supports everywhere - including this site, but I need one now. My husband has been all over town looking for something for me and can't find one. He got me one at Walgreens, but it's so high it hurts my ribs!

Anyone know of where to get a supportive device? Dare I look for a girdle?!

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2004, 01:48 PM

Try "support panties" I have some that are just light support, but they sort of hold everything in. It was much more comfy wearing those. I did feel like my insides were going to fall out for about the first week. It does get better though, so hang in there.

Oh and BRAVO for your dh for running all over to look for "support garments!" what a sweetheart!
Unread 10-01-2004, 03:05 PM

I was lucky enough to be sent home with what's called a Surgical Abdominal Binder. I have seen them in stores (the exact same ones) for about $12. If it's too high you can cut off a "band". The ones that I've seen and the one that I have have 4 bands and are thin in between just so you can cut them if you need too. Good luck, you will LOVE it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2004, 03:46 PM

Do you have a hospital supply store near you? Also, maybe a Walgreens?
Unread 10-01-2004, 06:08 PM
VDH got me a girdle!

Thanks, all!

My VDH (very DH) went out and bought me a"waistshaper." He got it at JCPenneys. It's basically like bike shorts, but with a ton of power in the abdominal region! It's really sucking it all in for me! It, too, is too high - I must be super short-waisted - but my seamstress mom is coming on Sunday, so maybe she can shorten it.

My VDH did call a surgical supply store, where they did have 2 styles in stock, but the shortest one was 9 inches - and the one he got at Walgreens was just 7 inches, but still about 2 inches too high for me! Are they made for men or what? I'm not a short person - about 5'7"...it all seems quite odd to me.

Thanks for all of your "Support!"
Unread 10-01-2004, 07:03 PM

I just wondering mighty princess, if support panties, which pregnant ladies could wear will also work for the feeling of "guts falling out"? If so, I can buy some for me and then I will hand them over to my (pregnant 4/10/05 due date) 21 year old (jobless) daughter. If the prego panties wont work, I am going to go and buy bigger size support panties!

shake your booty! what else can you do when life seems difficult.
Unread 10-02-2004, 09:33 AM
abdominal support issues

I can't speak about pregnant panties...never wore them. I don't know if the support would be firm enough - or properly situated where you might want it. BUT - since I didn't have any incisions, I can take more pressure (and like it) than someone with incisions probably could. Also, my belly isn't particularly swollen like I understand is common with TAH.

Best I can say is try a bunch of stuff. That is how I managed to find what worked for me. Maybe go out now and buy several different things. Wait and try it all on after your surgery. Then you (or a helper) can return what isn't best. But that means you should buy from someplace that is convenient for returns!

My problem was that I didn't anticipate the need for anything and was having to try to find something when I was trying to recover. DH was running all over and not finding anything that worked - until I saw the JCPenney's ad and came up with the body shaper idea.

Best wishes!
Unread 10-02-2004, 09:46 AM
ABDOMINAL SUPPORT

Hello,
Just wanted to say that the hospital gave me an abdominal support after surgery(thank goodness) and it too is too high, but I think its because we have hips and mine seems to "ride up" and I have to occasionally pull it back down. My problem is mine is too big around! I can almost wrap it around me twice. If you find something that may work better holler at me! I am 5'4" and mine is a medium and it gets to wiggling up so far it is almost to my breasts!

Susan(zapdos)
Unread 10-02-2004, 01:04 PM

zapdos -

do you sew at all? You could sew some velcro onto the top and bottom of the support, so you could pull it tighter at the top and looser over your hips. that might keep it from riding up - and would definately help you to make it smaller.

i did see one from target.com that is made by medela. it was only $20. perhaps it might just be easier to buy a smaller one? But then, that wouldn't really help with the riding up issue.

I am really happy with my bike-shorts looking body shaper. it pulls me in and since its not like a medical thing, i don't feel like I am recovering from surgery so much. I just feel like I am a girl in need of a little support! I wear regular undies under it, so I can wear it everyday.

At night, I have found my body pillow to be indispensable!

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register