Questions about rectocele and enterocele | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about rectocele and enterocele Questions about rectocele and enterocele

Unread 10-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Questions about rectocele and enterocele

I have been having a very bad time of it for over a month.
I had a TAH/LSO in January of 2001. She cut adhseions at that time from around bowels, and placed adhesion barrier called Interceed. I know it didn't work.
On Aug.18, Aug.24, and Sept.09, I had pelvic abdominal ct scans with the contrast.
None of them showed anything wrong with the bowels.
I have had numerous abdominal xrays, which usually say "bowel gas pattern within normal limits."
The latest xray was Sept.28.
My questions...
Is there anyone who developed rectocele post-hyst, and what are the symptoms and how diagnosed?
Also the same with what I believe is enterocele, which is where part of the small bowel falls into vaginal area?
What were your symptoms of enterocele?
Are they dangerous?
Also what tests are used to cinfirm them?
I have lost about 10 lbs., and I am thin to begin with.
When I went to a gyn, before I felt this bad, all the gyn did was just look into the vagina and tell me to bear down. But no actual exam was done.
Has anyone here ever had a bowel obstruction post-hyst?
I am so frightened and so terrified of Drs. let alone any more surgery.
I feel so alone.
Please help.
Thanks.
Millie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2004, 03:35 PM

Millie,

I am not sure about the enterocele, but I have a Grade III rectocele. Mine happened post hysterectomy. I started noticing a lot of constipation and when I would try to go I would have to get into different positions to be able to pass stool (sorry if this is too graphic) It then got to where I could see a bulge coming out of the bottom of the vagina when I would bare down to have a bm. Now I have to 'splint' or push back on the bulge to be able to have a bm. As far as diagnosing it, I pretty much knew what I had from doing a lot of reading on this site, but the Dr did a pelvic exam and had me bare down and also a rectal exam where he was able to feel the defect in the fascia between the vagina and rectum. I know there are some other diagnostic tests that can be done for rectocele involving barium xrays--but it wasn't necessary in my case.

I am sorry you feel so alone in this. I felt the same way before I found this site. It is nice to know you are not the only one going through things like this. I know for me, I thought childbirth was about as humiliating as it would get--little did I know things like rectoceles could happen! I am waiting for my surgery date to get this fixed as I also have a cystocele.

I hope you can get back in to see your GYN and get a definate diagnosis.

Hugs
Becky
Unread 10-03-2004, 04:09 PM

Hi ((((Millie)))) I'm so sorry you've been having all of these problems

I've never delt with an enterocele, but I had a Stage III rectocele repaired at the same time as my I had my TVH. My symptoms were pretty much the same as (((Betty's))): constipation, having to splint to have a BM, a bulge at the entrance of the vagina. I also noticed that I had some posture problems and would have really bad lower back aches that was also attributed to the rectocele.

In my case, all that was needed to diagnose the rectocele was a vaginal and rectal exam, since the prolapse was quite noticeable. I do know that there are other tests used to confirm stage I or II prolapses.

Hope this helps.

Sending tons of s your way and hoping that you find answers, and relief, very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2004, 08:00 PM
I also have questions

I had a TAH in Sept 2002, along with removal of right ovary & tube. In Feb 2004 I had another surgery to remove my left ovary & tube because they thought I had a tumor on my remaining ovaryand because of so many adhesions they had to do it as a fulll abdominal surgery also. I know my adhesions were on my bowel, intestines and ovary & tube. (thank goodness there was no tumor!)Yesterday I went in for what I thought was just my routine annual and after my pelvic & a rectal exam my Dr told me I have rectocele and enterocele as well as some type of vaginal mass and now I will need another surgery for this! I developed IBS about 5 years ago so my bowel has been overactive because of that, but since my last surgery I have some pain and feel like I need to go when I don't. I would like to hear from anyone who has had surgery so I know what to expect. Also- my Dr is hoping this vaginal mass turns out to be part of a fallopian tube that somehow got missed due to adhesions? Just wondered if anyone else had ever had that happen. :confuse:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register