Shaving after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shaving after surgery Shaving after surgery

Unread 10-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Shaving after surgery

I was in the shower tonight shaving my legs and wondered how long will I have to go without shaving my legs. Does anyone have any answers, I think of the weirdest things. I cannot go a day without shaving or its like I have a full beard on my legs lol. After reading all weekend about it may be difficult to bend over, I am just curious.
Thanks,
Jeanette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Shaving after surgery

Not such a weird question - I was thinking the same thing this morning. I'm sched. for surgery Nov. 3 so I cant answer but just wanted to let you know your not alone with your thoughts. lol
Unread 10-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Shaving after surgery

I had a tvh so it was no problem, you didnt mention if you are having tvh or tah. I would think a tah would make you think twice about bending for a while. Maybe you could get your husband to shave your legs every other day before you take your shower. or Maybe you could use nair or get a wax job before you go into the surgery. The waxing i think lasts several months (i never had one) i would think by then you could bend enough to shave yourself. Good luck and let us know your solution.
Tango
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Shaving after surgery

Not only have I also had the same thought, I'm also trying to figure out how I'm going to squeegee my shower doors after taking a shower! How neurotic is that?!
Unread 10-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Shaving after surgery

To be honest, shaving my legs was the farthest thought from my mind right after my surgery. I figured I was doing well to keep my balance taking a shower, much less shaving!! I wore men's jammie pants most of the time for the first month, so didn't worry too much about whether or not I could braid my leg hair

s
Cat
Unread 10-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Shaving after surgery

I actually hadn't thought about how I was going to shave my legs until I was shaving my legs tonight for surgery in the morning and my 8 yr. old daughter brought it up. She informed me that she would nair them for me. Aw, how sweet! Ronda
Unread 10-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Shaving after surgery

I think if you have the time before surgery you should look into waxing. It will last a while. But if you find you will be shaving instead you can purchase a shower stool. They are tall enough that you can put your leg on the tub edge (if you have a shower/tub) and then shave yourself. I just don't know if I could trust my DH to do the shaving for me.

Goolla
Unread 10-04-2004, 04:51 AM
Shaving after surgery

I am an Esthetician so I am addicted to waxing.. I am planning to wax a couple of days before the surgery.. everything that I normally wax.. legs, bikini etc.. That way.. It is the farthest thing from my mind... and also.. waxing the bikini prevents the drs. from butchering you when they shave you for the surgery...
Unread 10-04-2004, 04:59 AM
Shaving after surgery

HI all,
One week post-op here and I have shaven my legs 3x already and every where else as much as I dare...if you know what I mean DH wait outside the bathroom door while I'm in the shower, waiting for a loud thump or something I don't know. I am doing VERY well. Going to 1 week check-up today with ultra smooth legs

HUGS to all,

Karen
Unread 10-04-2004, 05:37 AM
Shaving after surgery

An electric razor is a thought for post op, although I'm not crazy about the job they do it's safer than a blade, and no one has to help. But, it was also the farthest thing from my mind for several weeks. My surgery was in the winter, so I was wearing sweatpants mostly, not shorts, my leg hair made no difference to me.

Normally before I have a DR's apt I make sure my legs are smooth, but for the first post op apt, they are only looking at the incision (if you have an abdominal surgery) and asking how you feel, so they don't even see the legs. For my six week check up, when they usually do an internal, I did shave.

And this has been discussed many many times - don't shave your pelvic area yourself when you are pre op. Not everyone is shaved for surgery, and it's not a total when they do it. And the perception that the nurses butcher you when they do it is false. They use one-use disposable razors, the type a lot of women use themselves, and quite often it's just a trim anyway. Shaving yourself before surgery has caused postponement due to the possibility of nicks that can cause infection.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register