photos | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:18 AM
photos

Is it normal to ask a doctor to take pictures of your your surgery before and after to see what it looked like .should i ask or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2004, 09:26 AM
photos

I've never heard that one before. What do you mean by "take photos of your surgery"?
Unread 10-06-2004, 09:31 AM
photos

Blee, I know exactly what you mean. I would love to see what all the 'stuff' looks like. I have always been fascinated by organs and such, especially since my 8th grade science teacher brought in a cow's heart and let anyone who wanted to hold and it and examine it. I was the only girl who did, and most of the girls were totally grossed out by my doing that. I am kind of hoping I can convince the doctor to let me have an epidural so I can be awake and see the uterus and fibroids. Its just so interesting... I wish I had gone to med school!

All that said, ask your doctor. The worst they can say is "Are you CRAZY?" tee hee...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2004, 11:20 AM
photos

I asked my dr. because I wanted to see what's been hurting me for so long. He said it would be easy since he's doing the LAVH and that camera is readily available.
He took lots for me and was proud to show me his before & after work since he had a mess to fix because of endo & adhesions.
My DH couldn't make sense of the photos but I understood what the Dr. was showing me.

I hope your docs take photos if you request them. It is very educational.

Sister Beth
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:43 AM
photos

Hi Sisters!

My doctor took pictures during my laparoscopy and they were pretty neat to see! But, he said he wasn't going to do that with the TAH. I guess it's not as easy without the camera in the scope.

I'd go ahead and ask. The worst that could happen is they'd say no. And I think it's perfectly normal to want to see what is going on!

Good luck and take care!

Marianne
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:36 PM
photos

I have two "beautiful" photos of my post-op uterus. The thing looks like a balloon -- a round ball with a stem at the bottom (the bottom of the uterus and the cervix) and I judge it to be 7-8 inches around....

I am a little sorry I didn't ask for photos after they cut it open, since I had "over 30" (I guess they stopped counting?) fibroids of various sizes.

Definitely ask. I thought my dr. would balk at it, but she said she'd be happy to make sure they were taken!

Good luck to you.
Unread 10-06-2004, 12:46 PM
Photos

Hi sisters. I find this topic SO interesting. I am a visual artist (a photographer/video artist). I have actually been trying to go through the proper channels in order to document my whole experience with hysterectomy. I am presently video taping of my mood swings caused by the Lupron shot.

I not only think that we need not be afraid to see what has happened to us, but I feel it our *right* as patients to have access to the things that happen to us while we are knocked out in surgery. Perhaps this isn't important to SOME patients, but for those of us who feel it IS important to see before and after images, or to be able to actually see a videotape of the surgery-- to have ownership of our parts after the fact-- we should not be made to feel that we are "odd" or "strange." I, for one, would like to at least have a proper burial for the parts of my body that are removed. I have looked into what happens otherwise--our warm body parts are put into a plastic bucket, taken for tests and then thrown in the trash. I find this very unsettling, at the least. I am attempting to get permission to videotape (or photograph) the surgery, and I would like to have my Womb given back to ME after the tests are done. I encourage all others who feel as I do to try to enlist the support of the hospital and surgeon in order to do what feels right. I find it absurd that I have to "get permission" from the hospital to have ownership of MY BODY. And to the person who started this thread, you are not weird or odd to feel the way that you do. Knowing that others share this philosophy is very encouraging and interesting to me. It validates the artistic work I am hoping to make in response to all of this. If anyone is interested in sharing photographs or videotapes (anonymously if you wish it that way) I would be grateful. Please do take heart and ask for what you need. You are not alone in feeling the way that you do. The days when women have to shut up and buckle under the pressure of institutions wanting us to be obedient are over. There may be struggles in order to get what you need to feel complete in this process, but I believe that it will have been worth it. My DH didn't understand me at first--now that I have shared my ideas on this with him, he not only agrees, but shot the film of my getting the Lupron shot. Which by the way, took some negotiating as well. The first nurse who was to give me the shot refused to have even her hand in the photograph, saying
"I don't want to have any part of my body in a photograph with someone's butt!" I told to her find someone who would, and that took a few extra minutes, but it finally did work out.
Well, I 've written enough.

Good luck and be strong about what you believe in,

December 8
Unread 10-06-2004, 01:14 PM
photos

I too would love to have pictures of my uterus. I know some people may think it sounds strange, but my uterus and I have a long history. It did after all, carry all four of my beautiful children, (which without it I wouldn't have) and it has been a significant part of my life, every month, for the last 40 years.
So, I would still like to actually SEE what's happened to it

I am going to ask my doctor if they can take pictures, and like someone else said, the worst they can say is "Are you crazy"!
Unread 10-06-2004, 02:02 PM
photos

hi sisters

I fully agree, I asked my gynea if he would video the op, he laughed I don't think he thought I was being serious but I am and I fully intend to bring the subject up again when I go for my pre-op, I mean I've grown attached to these little things or should I say they've become attached to me (P.I.D & adhesions) and I want to see them be taken out I won't be awake for the op(BSO/TAH)so by the time I wake up it will be hours later and my bits will be gone, I'd like to know the size hole its left me with inside and seeing it on video will show me, I also feel it will give me a chance to say goodbye to my old life and hello to the new non painful/aunt flo one.

aliene
Unread 10-06-2004, 02:25 PM
photos

I did not get photos but I was able to see the "huge" cyst that was removed along with the ovary. OMG, hard to believe that this alien was growing inside me. I had spinal/epidural combo, and was awakened while still in the OR. I asked to see the cyst and the dr. and nurses obliged. After all, it was mine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register