Pain meds and light occasional bleeding 4 weeks post op?????? Please help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain meds and light occasional bleeding 4 weeks post op?????? Please help! Pain meds and light occasional bleeding 4 weeks post op?????? Please help!

Unread 10-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Pain meds and light occasional bleeding 4 weeks post op?????? Please help!

I hate to bother anyone, but I'm a little nervous. I'm 27 (today) and almost 4 weeks post op. I had a TAH (kept both ovaries) I've been doing well since surgery. I've been up walking since day after. Some days are great, some days aren't. I still need my pain meds ( about 2 a day) and want to know if that makes me a wuss. I've had a little spotting of bright red blood twice this week. Is something wrong? Am I overdoing it? I've also been having bad headaches and mood swings. I have a DH and DS who is completly supportive, but he don't know what's normal either...If anyone reads this and has advice..Please send it to me. Am I crazy or a wuss???? Thank you and hugs to all!!!
tkdrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2004, 08:17 PM

Hi sweetie

First off

No, you're not a wuss nor are you crazy!!!

Now with it being bright red bleeding I think you should call your doctor about this and get his advice. It's always better to be safe than sorry and anyway you'll just worry yourself sick about it if you don't.

Even though you kept your ovaries, they can be a bit slow to start up again after this surgery and that could be the cause of your headaches and mood swings, but mention this to your doctor as well.

Unread 10-06-2004, 09:33 PM

!!!

You aren't a wuss for needing pain meds! We all heal at our own pace. I would call the doctor about the bright red blood. It probably isn't anything serious, but any heavy bleeding or bright red blood should be reported.

I kept my ovaries and it took a little while for them to completely 'wake up' afterwards. Your doctor can give you some guidance with that.

Good luck and I hope you are feeling better each and every day! Take care!

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2004, 09:37 PM
I am with you...

I had my surgery on Sept. 3rd and I am still having pain and cramping. They had to reposition my blatter also and did that through the vaginal canal. When they were doing my hyst & this procedure I must have tore and so they had to stitch me there as well. I can't sit in a chair to long or walk around to long. I feel pain from the stitches and then I start to cramp where they made the vaginal cuff. Then I start to spot blood. IB prophen seems to help me with the cramping some. I thought I would have been feeling much better by now.
I saw my doctor on 10/5 for my four week check up and he said I was normal for how long it has been. I have to make sure not to get constipated since he wants me to limit "baring down". I am suppose to possibly go back to work after 10/15 but my doctor wants me to check in with him first. He says with all that I had wrong and with the procedures I had done it will be a slow healing process and may have to delay me going back to work a couple more weeks.
I am ok with that because of the pain AND how tired I get so quickly. I have some trouble sleeping. I have restless legs and so on. Dr. told me to start drinking a glass of Gatoraid before I go to bed and to see if that helps me with the leg issue (potassium issue he says).
Oh, and another thing... my short term memory is really BAD! My family has been chuckling at me since it is very apparent. :-) Dr. put me on a low dose estogen pill to try and help this. When I first left the hospital I was on the estogen patch. I started to have a reaction to the patch so he took me off estogen all together.
My doctor was somewhat surprised to find out that the lab report stated I had endrometriosis (not sure of the spelling). He says that I shouldn't have to worry about if it had spread anywhere since they removed everything except that vaginal canal. The only thing we have spoke about is that I may have to have a colonoscopy to check on some issues I had been having here.

Ok, now that you have heard my story, how do you feel? You are not along. I feel for you cuz I am there! :-)
I started reading quite a bit on this website and it has helped me feel I am on the healing road. Along one it may be. It also helped me form questions to write down to ask my doctor (since my short term memory ***** right now :-) ).

You take care and do what I have learned kind of works. Do a little, rest a lot, do a little more, rest a lot more. It kind of works. :-)
Unread 10-06-2004, 11:31 PM

Dear tkdrew,
I'm sorry you're having problems. First of all, I would check with my dr on the bright red blood. It may not be anything..but it is always best to check with your dr. As far as pain meds, I iwll be 4 weeks this Friday, and I still take about 2 a day. If i'm going to be doing something, like going for a ride, I may take an extra one. So you are not a wuss!! Try to get some rest and call your dr asap. Take care..and I will be thinking of you.
Hugs,
Debbie
Unread 10-07-2004, 08:58 AM

Thank you all so much. I go to the doctor today and I will post when I get back. For whatever reason, my doctor sees me weekly since the surgery. That's good, I guess. I feel so close to all of you. Everyone of you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope I can be there for you like you are there for me. Thank you all again!!! You made me feel a lot better.
Kristi
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:52 PM

Hey there! I went to the doctor and he examined me and said everything looked great. He said the pain meds were fine and that it was ok to continue them. He said he could tell that I'm getting to ready to start having the yellow,brownish discharge and that it would smell really bad and would last 2 -4 weeks but it was normal. What does that mean? Is it that bad? Will I wear pads? Help (AGAIN).. I'm sorry to bother anyone, but more advice would be wonderful!!!!
Your
Kristi
Unread 10-07-2004, 04:50 PM

Hey.

I had my surgery the exact same day as you, and I have been having the brownish-yellowish discharge that your Dr speaks about. I wear a pad daily. I occasionally still take pain medication mostly because I get back aches.
Unread 10-08-2004, 05:47 PM

Yep, I still have to wear a light days pany liner for that discharge. Exactly what your Dr. was talking about and yes, it does have a slight odor with it. I just change the pany liner often and that seems to help.

I had a good day today. I went with a friend to wander around a large craft and anique sale. I am really tired now but it was a good day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register