Very personal question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very personal question Very personal question

Unread 10-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Very personal question

Ladies.
I hope and pray that this isn't too personal and doesn't offend anyone. I am three qeeks post-op tomorrow and was in here reading the very amusing post about the vaginal cuff and got curious. So I went into the bathroom and tried to feel what was going on up in there. I had the wierdest experience. I have no opening. I mean, i do, but, it used to lead to a tunnel, now, it is just all meaty flesh with no obvious path or tunnel at all to anywhere. Not even an inch worth. Is this normal what I am feeling. I left the bathroom feeling nervous and scared. Please help.
Thanks
Pattigo
TAH/BSO 9/17/2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Very personal question

HI Patti, If you had your cervix removed, the opening that was in the cervix would not be closed up.
I was told by my doctor, nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks. I don't know if you might still be swolled or what, but please be careful about exploring so soon after surgery. It's very easy to introduce bacteria to the area that could cause an infection.
If you think you might have a problem, please call and ask the doctor about it. They can reassure you as to what has been done.
Take care!
Unread 10-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Very personal question

Was your cervix removed? I would think that what you felt before that "led to a tunnel" may have been the opening of your cervix.

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy and so my cervix was removed. What you describe sounds like you may have had yours removed, as well.

Just a little encouragement if your cervix was removed....the loss of my cervix has had absolutely no impact on my sex life. My husband nor I miss it a bit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Very personal question

From what I've been told and read on my surgery report that where the cervix and uterus was removed from My gyn sewed it shut. Also he tacked my bladder on to the vagina so I will not have a prolapsed bladder in the future.
Makes sence to me. I checked it out after I was cleared for sex. I was just a little curious. I could actually feel the incision line and where it had healed close from the stitches.

The dr. can't leave it open to infection. You don't want sperm( if you are sexually involved) floating around in your abdoman.

Sorry, but it is the truth!

Peggy
Unread 10-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Very personal question

Not to lecture you, but NOTHING in the vagina, means nothing. So, please, no more exploration. There probably is a lot of post op swelling going on. Absent any pain, bleeding or other discharge, all is probably well.

However, I'm certainly not a doctor and you should ask yours any questions you have and have all concerns addressed.

Happy healing!!!!
Unread 10-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Very personal question

First, I just wanted to say that I agree you shouldn't be putting anything in your vagina before 6 weeks. That includes fingers..clean ones too!!

Second, I don't know how anyone can feel their own cervix, or where it used to be. I can understand a doctor feeling it, because he knows what he's looking for. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying the actual canal feels different. I can't explain that. I haven't felt inside; don't really want to.

I think maybe you're just healing. Give yourself time.
Unread 10-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Very personal question

yanno what? i felt that too..and yes ladies i hear ya on the no touchy.it was just a touch at the opening.but i told my boyfreind that nothings wrong with my..umm..outsides..sorry ladies but the DR said 4-6 weeks..so yanno i'm counting down the days for the 4 weeks..hoping i don't get performance anxiety

Roxanne
Unread 10-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Very personal question

I figure, today at the doctors, he was able to get a finger up there, feel around, and press on all the surgery incisions, so it's probably all this there. But like the others, I don't intend to check it out myself until I go in for my six week check up.

For the lady that wrote "how can you feel your cervix?" If you still have one (which I now don't) it's at the end of the tunnel, and feels like the tip of your nose. Nobby. As mine prolapsed, it actually was hanging down, almost to the opening, and I could circle it with my finger (which I didn't even know until the morning of my surgery - I wanted to check it out one last time to compare later after surgery. I asked my doctor why my cervix seemed so close to the opening [when I woke up after surgery] and THAT'S when he mentioned it was prolapsed - which I guess makes it even easier to remove. Didn't have to go as far to find it.)
Unread 10-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Very personal question

Pattigo,
Don't panic by what you didn't find. I'm sure your anatomy is just fine. When I had my dicussion w/ my dr. yesterday about any length change (which is in a different post) he was also doing a drawing...

He said to picture the vagina as a capital letter 'H' . The horizontal line of the H is actually where the top and bottom wall of the vagina rest together - until something is placed inside it, then it looks more like a capital 'O' as the walls are pushed apart.

Are you following me here? That's what their speculum is doing when they do the pelvic exam - moving the top and bottom walls apart so they can view the vaginal canal, cervix/or vaginal cuff. (It doesn't look like a canal until the walls are moved apart. (except maybe at the very opening)

Like the other sisters said, you are probably still swollen and the vaginal walls are just together. Another factor might have been the position you were in during your self exam. Anyway, try not to worry and like all the sisters have said...nothing goes there yet.

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register