another prolapse surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

another prolapse surgery another prolapse surgery

Unread 10-08-2004, 07:34 PM
another prolapse surgery

Hello ladies,

My nightmare was confirmed today. I have prolapsed again. It has not been one year yet since my last prolapse surgery and last month everything dropped again. Rectocele, cystocele, and enterocele same exact problem as last time. I went to a new doc today a urogynecologist he was great. I am seeing his partner next Wednesday who will do the surgery. They are going to graft the prolapses. So I would love some feedback from anyone who has had this procedure done as far as grafting goes. My luck just doesnt want to change. I am trying so hard to stay positive but it is hard. I went into a small panic attack today. But I will get throught this once again. The doc did say he believes this may be a genetic problem with my tissue and ligaments inside my pelvic area and could be the reason why i am dropping at such a young age. I just turned 32 last June. I am not strong enough to support my insides apparently. Well any feedback is greatly appreciated. Once again I am in need of your support and prayers. Thank you so much!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2004, 08:04 PM
another prolapse surgery

Oh ((((Carol)))) I'm so sorry you're dealing with prolapses again, so soon after your last surgery

I do not have any insight about the graft procedure your doctor plans on using, but did want to send some s your way.
Unread 10-09-2004, 07:37 AM
another prolapse surgery

Sending big s Carol!!! I pray all goes well with this next surgery. You deserve it!!!

Emily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2004, 10:48 AM
another prolapse surgery

Dear Carol, I am so sorry that you are going through this! I too have had multiple prolapses. My original hysterectomy with P&A repair was for heavy bleeding and severe prolapse. I prolapsed again about 6 weeks later, but didn't recognize what had happened right away. They repaired it with mesh attached between my spine and the top of the vagina. I fell about three weeks later and the stitches pulled out of the top of the vagina. I had it repaired one week later, they used the same mesh from my spine and added a new piece and more stitches, and I made it three months before it prolapsed again when I pulled on the kitchen table. This time my surgeon sent me to a gynological oncologist. He again used the same mesh, but this time added extensive mesh that extends all the way down my vagina... he also had to remove my appendix, my ovaries and cut a hole in my bladder and left some mesh adhered to my bowel. All of this was because old mesh had adhered to the organs and they could not be saved... I'm telling you all this, in hopes that you won't go down the same path! The mesh that now extends all the way down my vagina is causing major problems. It is wearing through my vagina, and I have developed a colovaginal fistula and a vesicorectal fistula and was just told yesterday that I will most likely have to have another major surgery. What kind of graft are they doing on you? Have they identified the cause of the prolapse? I too was told that I have poor connective tissue, but I don't think that explains it entirely and am pushing for more information before they proceed with anything surgically. I also had a severe dvt after the last surgery and can no longer take any hormones so be sure to walk as much as you can! I will be praying for you. Sorry that this is so long, but I wanted you to know that you're not the only one... there are at least two of us.
s Blkisue
Unread 10-09-2004, 11:28 AM
another prolapse surgery

Thank you all for your replies!!!!!!!

It is very scary but know I must face this. My bladder is hanging down the the opening of my vagina. Yuk!!! Anyways I will find out next Wednesday about what they will use and do. I go see the surgeon that day. So I will post about it then. Thanks again for your hugs and support it means the world to me!!!
Unread 10-12-2004, 06:58 AM
another prolapse surgery

hi carol, i'm sorry the hear that you have to have another surgery. i had a TAH, a/p repairs, rectocele and cystocele all done in sept. 2003. my uterus had prolapsed along with everything else. six months later the buldge was back and my doc said i had an enterocele and vaginal vault prolapse!! he told me it would not get any worse in the next several months and gave me no real explanation why this had happened so soon. four months later i went to see a new doctor due to a change in my insurance i could no longer see my ob/gyn of 15 years, but this may have been a blessing because when i saw my new doc the end of aug. indeed i had got worse. he said i had severe pelvic floor prolapse and wanted to do the surgery right away. on sept. 27 just one year after my TAH i had my second surgery. this new doc specializes in pelvic reconstruction and i am pleased with him so far. he did a sacrospinous ligament suspension with dermal graft to suspend my vaginal vault. and also another graft to suspend my bladder, he repaired the rectocele and enterocele using permanent stitches. he preferred the dermal graft over mesh because he said sometimes the mesh erodes, which i guess has happened to you. i am two weeks post op now and feeling pretty good. this surgery was done vaginally so i think it's been easier without the abdominal incision. i just hope and pray these repairs will last. i have a genetic problem that has made my pelvic floor muscles weak. i didn't realize there were so many other women out there like myself until i found this web site. it's nice just to be able to talk to someone who's been there. well best of luck with your next surgery, i will put you in my prayers!
and maybe this time since there using the graft instead of mesh you will do better. God Bless, Angie(priss36)
Unread 10-12-2004, 11:09 AM
another prolapse surgery

What is the dermal graft? Do they use your own skin or is it lab grown skin or animal skin or synthetic???? Since it's suspected that my problems are the result of the mesh too, I would be very interested in hearing more about this! I'm praying for all my fistula sisters! Blkisue
Unread 10-13-2004, 11:03 AM
another prolapse surgery

Angie,

Thank you for your info. This is what my doc said the surgeon would be doing. He specializes in this grafting procedure. I am glad you are doing well. I find out today when the surgery will be. I just pray this is the last. I try to tell myself daily that things could be worse. I have been dealing with a back injury so I have already been on pain management so it has helped with my pelvic pain. Did your stomach swell when everything prolapsed. Or has anyones elses who reads this? I am curious about that. My stomach seems swollen and very tender. I am so thankful to all of your prayers. I absolutely love this website and tell everyone about it. This seems to be like a bible to me once again. I love you all. And Angie please keep me updated on your recovery. We seem to be close with our surgery dates. My blessings to you and everyone in hyster land.
Unread 10-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Pekvic reconstruction

Well, I didn't think I would be back so soon, but I too am having prolapse problems. My LAVH was on December 29th of 2003, and was very successful. I was lucky enough to sail through with no problems. Except for the first few uncomfortable days in the hospital I felt fine.

Now my bladder and colon are falling and my ob/gyn is sending me to a surgeon who specializes in this type of surgery. I was very happy to know that she will be assisting him, as I am very confident in her.

One reason my insides are dying to meet the world is that I gave birth naturally to 9 and 11 pound babies 20-some years ago. Another is that I have Parkinson's and that is a disease that weakens the muscles, so there you have it.

I too would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had this second surgery. Is there anything else I should know before my appointment with the surgeon? I have already learned from this discussion that I should ask about the technique - using mesh or whatever. MY ob/gyn mentioned something about attaching them to my stronger hip muscles.

Thanks in advance to all of you and to anyone else who can add more information.

NN
Unread 10-18-2004, 06:52 PM
another prolapse surgery

Hello ladies.

Went to the surgeon and he was wonderful. He did a test on me and found out that once they do the bladder repair I have a good chance of being incontenent after surgery. So I have to go through a urodynamic study before he will do the surgery to see what type of incontenant repair they will need to do to my bladder. He told me there is 3 different types of material to use for the prolapse. Also since this will be my second prolapse surgery in such a short time that it is not a good sign and I will need more in the future but his goal is to help me last a least 10 years. He seemed disgusted with my last surgeon who did the surgery. So my thoughts are did someone do something wrong with my last 2 surgeries? Being so young this is almost unheard of. 3 surgeries within 14 months for the same thing. Anyways I am completely miserable with pain. But will try to be patient. I am confident with my new doc. The other draw back is I cannot get in to do the test until nov 12th. and then have to schedule the surgery. I will get through this somehow. TAke care everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register