Losing it just a little | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Losing it just a little Losing it just a little

Unread 10-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Losing it just a little

I went for my Pre-Op today. I don't have questions about my surgery. I have lots of concerns - my weight, my job, the pain, the time off, finances etc. But the doctor wasn't helpful with most of those. (didn't expect him to be really)

The forums have been really helpful. It feels great to know that so many are going through exactly or close to exactly what I will be going through. I still am not sure what some of the abbreviations are, though.

I am having a LAVH and he's going to try to allow me to keep my one remaining ovary. He says that I should be able to go home the next day. And after two weeks I should be feeling just peachy. After everything I've read on the boards I doubt what he says . .. but ok - we'll start with that.

I'm nervous, slightly anxious but feeling better for having met you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Losing it just a little

Hi Debster!

Welcome!

I am 15 days post-op from a TAH-LSO. That is, total abdominal hysterectomy and left ovary and tube removed. There's an article on this site somewhere that tells the abbreviations. I think it's one of the first messages on this board, but I can't remember for sure.

I can say after 2 weeks, even with the abdominal incision, I am able to get around just fine. I haven't traveled out much since I'm not released to drive yet. But, doing light things around the house and getting my walks in daily are going just fine.

Everyone heals differently, though. And I think we all were worried about the things you are nervous about.

Hang in there girl!!! And take care.

Marianne
Unread 10-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Losing it just a little

Hi,

You sound pretty normal with your concerns. I think that we all share at least some of the same ones while waiting for this surgery.

I'm not too sure about feeling great in just two weeks though. The normal initial healing period seems to be from 4 - 6 weeks. Complete healing can take much longer. Please don't try to rush it too much.

You can find the list of abbreviations here click here

Best wishes.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Losing it just a little

Hi Debster,

Did your doctor give you any written information on your surgery and expected recovery? I'm sorry, but a little alarm went off for me when you said you, " ...don't have questions about my surgery" and then, "I still am not sure what some of the abbreviations are..." and finally, "I doubt what he says..."

You may not mean this the way it appears, but please stop a minute and think about the implications of what you said. NOW is the time to learn everything you possibly can about the surgery you are about to sign up for. (If you completely understood the surgery, then you would understand the abbreviations.) This is an irreversible, life-altering surgery and any woman having this should be fully and completely informed before consenting.

I am particularly alarmed because your doctor did not address, to your satisfaction, your pre-op questions and concerns. But more than this, I am alarmed that you didn't expect better of him. You have the right to expect every single question and issue to be addressed and to not only be 100% sure all your options have been covered and this is the best possible treatment for your condition but to also have no doubts about your doctor.

If your doctor does not take the time for you now, will he have the time for you later? Not only should he be taking the time to explain, fully, what you can expect pre-surgery, but what are his long-term plans for your follow up care? He should go over this with you in great detail! The standard recovery time is 6 wks. but this is just for the surgical healing, (this is major surgery) the adjustments and follow-up care after a hysterectomy can take years and for some women it becomes a life time challenge.

Please, take the time now to educate yourself in all possible aspects, make a list of ALL your questions and make certain you have all the answers before you go to surgery.

I did not do things I just mentioned and it has caused me great regret. Something I do not want any other woman to ever experience.

Best wishes to you,
Unread 10-09-2004, 06:22 AM
Losing it just a little

Debster,

I have to agree with Lucille. Your doctor should be able to answer questions on your weight and pain, and most likely a number of your other concerns. If you're doubting him now, can you trust him to do what is best for you either during or after surgery? If there are any complications (and there can be), will you be sure he's done the best that could be done for you? Or will you have doubts then? I also think the 2 week healing time needs to be examined more closely. While you might be feeling pretty good at that point, a hyster is major surgery and your body can take 6 months to a year to heal completely inside.

My feelings are if you have any doubts, get a second opinion. It's not too late. My doctor was very good about information, telling me about pain control, possible complications, what to expect post op. He was very approachable to any questions I had...and readily available. He always returned my calls.

Good luck to you.
s
Cat
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Losing it just a little

Hi there- this is my first post to help another member, instead of just asking a question myself. I think I understand what you meant about asking certain questions of your doctor. Some questions are just not answerable by a physician, only by a friend or one who understands. I had lots of questions I would not even consider asking my doctor, things that were relevant to the surgery but not things the doc could answer. Guess what, I found all of the answers here on this site. I went back and read all the posts on the pre-op board and all my questions were answered. It is never a good time to have a major surgery, one that has such a long recovery time. It will just never seem to fit into job schedules, finances or anything else. But if it needs to be done, try to pick the BEST time and do it then. I also had a hard time deciding when to do this, hubby had just started a new job, tight on money, kids have needs etc. But all understood once decision was made. keep coming back to this board and we will all try to help and offer support. We know what it is like to go through the jealth problems and then the waiting for surgery. Hang in there.
Unread 10-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Losing it just a little

Thanks for all your replies.

I think I have so much going on inside about this life changing event that it came out rather garbled. My doctor answers questions about the surgery, pain, time off etc. I think I meant that I couldn't expect him to reassure me about time away from my job or my household etc.

I have been so excited that they (medical profession) finally agreed to do a hysterectomy that I haven't allowed myself to be scared or to freak out or any of those negative things. I've focused so much on the positive aspects of feeling better, no more pain, no more bloodclots running down my legs, no more 20 day periods etc., that I haven't allowed the normal anxieties to peek through. I have three daughters available to help as well as a caring mother and two great sisters close by. I'll be fine.

And I have virtually inhaled all of the information on this site. I basically know and understand everything but I have this little niggling suspicion that things will be different for ME .

Thanks for your answers and your concerns. I hope I was more clear this time. I doubt it but I hope so!
Unread 10-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Losing it just a little

Deb,

You said, "I basically know and understand everything but I have this little niggling suspicion that things will be different for ME ."

This little voice of inner wisdom, doubt, intuition, divine insight ... whatever you want to call it or wherever you feel it is coming from is IMPORTANT. You need to listen to yourself and make sure you have those little "niggling suspicions" answered and are totally comfortable with your decision.

When you are gathering information and research, make sure you gather from as many different sources as possible. As with anything, relying on only one source is not as good as an overall compilation of information. As an illustration: if you were listening to someone from "Hometown" Oklahoma tell you how great life there was you might find yourself ready to pack up and move. However, if you found out that "Hometown" had never left the village and, by the way, there is no running water, they all get up at 4:00 am and everyone has to chop wood to keep warm, ... it may make you less inclined to move there. Is "hometown" any less happy because he is unaware of the lifestyles of others? No. But you might not be so satisfied.

Make sure YOU know what is best for YOU and address any "niggling suspicions" now. Ignoring these feelings beforehand can make it very difficult on yourself if you have any problems or complications later. That peace of mind that comes from knowing you did your best for yourself is priceless. You deserve that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register