What is the most memorable compliment you have ever received? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the most memorable compliment you have ever received? What is the most memorable compliment you have ever received?

Unread 11-17-2004, 04:54 PM
What is the most memorable compliment you have ever received?

A teacher overheard my son defending a child that was being gossiped about by a group of friends. When the teacher asked him how he knew what to say, he said, "I heard mom say that to a group of mean women, and my mom always does the right thing". Not entirely true, unfortunately, but I do try, especially in front of my kids.

Oh, and my doctor said I have a very high pain tolerance. That felt like a compliment to me, because I always thought I was kind of a baby when it came to pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2007, 07:04 AM

*pig* One of my greatest compliments was when I was getting ready to take my granddaughter to the park and I told her little friend she could come along to if she wanted and her parents allowed her . She said "I am scared someone will snatch me" The compliment that made me feel good was when My 6 yr old granddaughter said "It's ok, my grandma says she watches me like a hawk and you will be safe with her, she will follow you all over the park like she does me."
made me feel good to know that my grandchild knows she is safe when with me.
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:39 AM

One compliment that will always stick out in my mind was while I was having treatments for breast cancer. When I was first diagnosed and everything I was about to face was explained to me, I tried to put everything in perspective... so as to minimize my fright, etc.

I've always had long hair... but I told myself during this reality, "Losing my hair is a small price to pay." I actually convinced myself of that much.... until, of course, I started losing it in handfuls... to the point that I shaved my head. I had a wig that I bought way before I needed it - never realizing that I would become childishly attached to it.

Months later, my hair had grown back about an inch or so - but I still wouldn't go without the wig. My nurse would take the wig off me (when I'd go in for weekly infusions), put it in her pocket, and have me sit there during the infusion without it (I think she was getting nervous that I'd never take it off!).

Anyway, my medical team (and friends) finally managed to coax me into taking the wig off. At my next weekly chemo infusion, my nurse was so proud that I finally took the wig off! After praising my bravery, she asked me if I'd be willing to talk with a woman that was there that day, having her first treatment. She was really scared... and they thought I might be able to help her. I said absolutely!

I walked in the woman's room, sat down next to her bed, and chatted with her and her husband; answering all their questions. I stood up to leave, and as she thanked me for my information/support, she said, "Oh, one more question if it's okay." I said, "Sure!" She said, "How long did it take for your hair to grow back?"

My eyes welled as I realized that this woman had no idea that my hair was ever long... and she seriously thought that my hair was BACK! It felt SO GREAT TO BE ASKED THAT QUESTION! Which, in fact, also told me that nobody could tell my hair wasn't "supposed to be" so short.

To date, that's the best compliment I've ever received - and that woman has no idea how much better she made me feel. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM

I have a group of 10 girlfriends who have known me for a minimum of five years and we get together every Friday night which is great since DH works nights. Well I had my official meltdown two Friday's ago becasue of my upcoming procedure. My one dear friend said to me how thankful she is to know me because throughout everything I lead my life by example with faith, patience and kindness. Now I was feeling anything but those at that particular moment. My other dear friend is taking me to the hospital and another offered to keep my kids. I was told not to worry about dinner or housework for a month. What is wonderful is that I know that they are really there for me and it's not just words which they have proven over and over again.
Unread 03-12-2007, 04:42 PM

i am often told i have a perky personality,and it makes people smile...
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Someone who is dear to me and whom I greatly respect told me how much she admires the "job" I did in raising my son and daughter. There were several years during their elementary/jr high school age that I was a single parent, so it wasn't always easy. She said "you raised two great kids, and for that you can always be proud".
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:48 PM

One of the sweetest compliments I've had recently was today. I emailed one of my co-workers and told her I was concerned about fitting into my clothes when I go back next week. She replied with, "We don't care if you wear a grocery sack, we just can't wait to have you back". Wow!
Unread 03-13-2007, 01:20 PM

I also feel good when neighbors compliment me on the different plants and flower beds in my yard. I work hard on weeding (when I have the energy, lol) and it is nice to know others notice and appreciate the way it looks.
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy1
I also feel good when neighbors compliment me on the different plants and flower beds in my yard. I work hard on weeding (when I have the energy, lol) and it is nice to know others notice and appreciate the way it looks.
Unread 11-24-2007, 06:15 PM

One of my most recent memorable compliments comes from people I don't know regulary telling me I don't look old enough to be a grand parent;( i have four) I feel good when people say that to me because evenif I look young I feel most likely much older then I am.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register