Hernia? Have questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hernia?  Have questions Hernia? Have questions

Unread 10-10-2004, 08:57 AM
Hernia? Have questions

Hi ladies!

I am just shy of 9 months post-op.
My doc moved out of state and had to find a new gyn. Went to my "get to know" visit last week and I showed her something that concerned me. I am a fluffy princess and when I lie down, I have this large bulge to the left of my vertical incision. She said it was a hernia. Doc said to get a abdominal binder. I've read past posts on this subject and concerned that I will have to have another surgery. The hernia is starting to feel uncomfortable and I'm experiencing nausea on a regular basis.

If you've experienced this...will a binder work or is surgery inevitable?

Going to visit with my GP more about this at my next appt. the first of Nov.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Hernia? Have questions

I have an umbilical hernia. Its bothered me for several years, and my GP thought if I lost weight, it would improve. Even though I have lost a bit of weight, it has not improved, but instead gotten much worse. When I found out about the fibroids, and scheduled the hyst, I also scheduled a general surgeon to fix the hernia. He told me there are two or three tears, not just one, so it is worse than the GP thought. Its my understanding that hernias don't clear up on their own. Its not as invasive a surgery as a hyst, so don't be afraid of it. If it bothers you, you really ought to have it attended to. The bowels can get twisted up in it, and then they can be strangled by the muscle in extreme cases. It is hurts, by all means, have it checked thoroughly, and repaired if necessary.
Unread 10-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Hernia? Have questions

A hernia is a tear in the abdominal muscle and nothing will make them "grow" back together. The reason for surgery is to repair the tear or hole in the muscle because if you let it go you risk the chance of your intestines coming through the hole. When the intestine pokes through the hole you have a hernia. The trouble can cause pain and bloating but the most important reason to get it fixed is because there is a possibility of the intestine getting strangulated by the hole and that will cause you INTENSE pain and discomfort in moving your bowels (not to mention infection) and then it becomes an emergency situation where you have no choice but to go to the E.R. and have it fixed A.S.A.P. I had an umbilical hernia as well as a rather large one at the bottom of my belly. I had them fixed with my hyst. surgery. Unfortunately it looks like you are headed for another surgery but the good news is they are doing so many new and wonderful things through lap. now, even repairing hernia with mesh through lap. Good luck sister and take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Hernia? Have questions

Hi Sisters,

I too have been fearing this. About 9 days post op - I had well, a "traffic jam" and even with the suppositories - I am afraid I strained something --BAD-- and I think I have herniated the area on the right of my incision. There is a painful "bump" there now. I had my TAH on 21 Sept. I go to my doc for a check up today. I am so scared! I do not want yet ANOTHER OP! But it hurts! The pain is horrible. I am still hoping it is something else -normal healing or what have you.

I do not know what to suggest here - but know you are not alone, and I am thinking of you!

Julia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register