Was Wondering | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Was Wondering Was Wondering

Unread 10-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Was Wondering

I have seen alot of talk about being cath..and all & was curiouse..Does the majority of woman who hvae a HYst.. have to keep the cath in for longer than the over nite?..I think that is one fo the things that most scares me about this surgery..I mean I am so scared I have often sat here & wondered what would be worse..My constant bleeding like I am or having that cath...Or having to wear it for a long time or having to cath. myslef...At this point I feel so yucky but lordy just thinking pf the cath.. gets me so paniky I almost feel nausues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Was Wondering

I have not had surgery yet, and at first, I was a bit nervous about the catheter. From what all I have read on here, it sounds like the normal procedure is to place it after you have been anesthesized, so you are not aware of it being placed at all. From reading the post op stories, the majority said theirs was removed, with out any pain or discomfort, the morning after surgery. All in all, it sounds to me like it is not something to get worked up over. Many said they dreaded it, but once they got on the other side, appreciated it since they did not have to get up to pee. Hope this helps!
Unread 10-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Was Wondering

No not all women come home with a cath. I did because my doctor does that for 7 days to help a women rest. A lot of women get it out the next day. My sister got hers out the next day and so did my mom. Don't worry about it every doctor is different. If you have trouble peeing then they might put it back in or if your bladder doesn't empty all the way. Good luck and don't stress over it...lol
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Was Wondering

My cath was out the next day, as a matter of fact the day of surgery i didn't even know it was there. Between anesthsia and pain meds I could have cared less.
Unread 10-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Was Wondering

Most women have the catheter removed the following day. It's nice not to have to worry about getting up to use the bathroom. It really isn't that bad and I doubt you will even notice it's there.

The majority of women do just fine going to the bathroom once it's out. I can speak from experience, however, that having to self cath isn't that bad. Honest.

Try not to let this bother you, which I know is easier said than done. Just concentrate on the good things. Hopefully all will go well.

Btw, if you know the date of your surgery, would you mind editing your profile so you can receive well wishes before your date.
Thanks

and
Blessings,
Judy
Unread 10-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Was Wondering

MY SIL, who is a nurse on the OB/GYN floor at a hospital affiliated with the one where my surgery will be, says that I'll come home with a cath, because of the repairs being done. She said it's not unusual for a woman to go home with it, though, and that I shouldn't worry. It sounds just awful to me, though.
Unread 10-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Was Wondering

Hi Sisters!

I had the cath removed the morning after surger. I didn't feel it and was glad that it was there so I didn't have to try to get up to use the restroom that first night. I was scared of it, too. But, it was really nothing.

Hang in there girls and don't fret. Even if you have to have one longer than overnight, it is still worth it to be pain free and period free!

Marianne
Unread 10-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Was Wondering

True ..Thank you all so much..I do try not to worry so much but sometimes it sneak up on ya & wham the worry is there..As for my surgery date...I do know I am having it that is a given but I do not go back to her till between January & March because I am a heavy woman & have pcos & so she is trying to help me loose some of my weight first ..She said it would be easier on me if I lost some..but regardless it will be done at the begining of the year...Ughh But this waiting is horrible ya know...
Unread 10-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Was Wondering

Maple Syrup,
My catheter came out the next morning, as soon as I was able to get up.
I too have PCOS. I have been losing weight and exercising, not for surgery, just because I want to be healthy. But the surgery for me, could not wait any more. I had 2 weeks notice. I did alot of walking within that 2 week period to get myself into the best shape I could.
Honestly, you will be fine.....do alot of praying~God is in the midst of it all! The waiting is the worst part....but give your fears to God. Worrying will change nothing...it will only make things worse.
God knows the outcome of your surgery, so turn your fears to Him. He will give you peace and comfort as you wait.

God Bless you!

Nancy
Unread 10-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Was Wondering

Thank you hun...Yes I have been doing alot of praying lately.....Some days I have a small amount of fear & others it seems to over whelm me...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register