10 wk.& extreme fatique: recovery or hormonal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 wk.& extreme fatique: recovery or hormonal? 10 wk.& extreme fatique: recovery or hormonal?

Unread 10-11-2004, 11:02 AM
10 wk.& extreme fatique: recovery or hormonal?

Hi everyone, thanks for helping out here:

I am about 10 weeks out after removal of everything including ovaries. Of course I was told that I would be able to go back to teaching high school full time within 6 weeks, which I did, and although energy is picking up some during the day, some days, and all nights, I feel like I want to sleep forever and not have any responsibility to anyone else.

I am on .325 Premarin and nothing else. I don't know if I am hormonally imbalanced and thus fatigued, or just still recovering. And now I have a yeast infection to add to the mix.

The pain I had before surgery is completely gone and I am pleased with the operation, just confused as to my current situation.

Anyone else exhausted and lethargic toward life and working at the same time? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks, Vander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2004, 11:14 AM

I'm a school social worker and just returned to work on October 4. I started out doing half days on Monday and Tuesday of that week before moving to full. I was really tired when I got home and had no energy. I tried to rest over the weekend. I had actually hoped to gradually start exercising but I honestly don't feel ready to do that. Right now it seems like I need all of my energy to go to work. (Today I am 7 weeks.)

For the past 2 weeks I have been taking bioidentical hormones through a compounding pharmacy- estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. I'm still hot flashing alot.

At my 4 week check up my doctor said I would still have some discomfort until about 3 months and wouldn't feel like myself until the 6 month mark.
Unread 10-11-2004, 11:14 AM

I'm just over 5 weeks, and while I'm not working, I've also recently run into extreme fatigue and lethargy and a supreme lack of drive to do anything but sit in bed! I would like the answer to your question as well.

I'm going to visit a compounding pharmacy tomorrow; I have an appointment with an RN there who specifically works with natural, bio-identical hormones. I'm currently on .1mg V-dot, and while I was doing great for the first few weeks post-hyst (energy, sense of well-being, great libido/sexual response, no/less back pain, no/less depression, etc), I am now nearly back to my state pre-hyst (NO energy, NO libido, decreased sexual response, alternating between crying and anger, heavy back pain, no desire to do anything besides feel sorry for myself and lie around in bed, etc). An estradiol level taken nearly 3 weeks ago was 67, which I was told was at the lowest end of what they consider normal. Last Wednesday, I had an entire hormonal panel (including all ests, progest, test, thyroid, and rheumatoid, since I've also been experiencing some heavy swelling and joint pain). I'll find out tomorrow what those levels are, and I'm hoping that my symptoms are all/mostly hormonal, and I'll try to report back my findings from the RN tomorrow.

I did want to say that when I was first started out on the V-dot, I was mistakenly put on way too low a dose at .025mg. I instantly had vaginal irritation which culminated in my worst-*ever* yeast infection. It may be a coincidence that you have one currently along with your fatigue, but I thought it was worth it to mention my own experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2004, 12:21 PM

Hi vander

Fatigue is not uncommon after surgery. It can take months to get back up to full energy. Is fatigue your only symptoms? Here's a link to symptoms of too much/too little estrogen and progesterone.

As a side note, there are lots of bio-identical hormones available. Some come from a compounding pharmacy, others from a regular pharmacy. Vivelle Dot is one example of a bio-identical available at a regular pharmacy. For more information about estrogen choices, look in this link to our Hormone Article List.

Happy reading!

s
Unread 10-11-2004, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. I have some other symptoms but can't figure out on the too much/too little list what I am, too much estrogen, too little. But it is beginning to look like too little.

also just finding out that Premarin comes from urine from mistreated horses, and since I love and work around horses too, I want off Premarin.

My doc told me I only needed estrogen and I am on a low dose. I am now in the hands of a nurse practioner, so I hope she knows about hormones. I guess it is a guessing game for awhile.

Well, thanks again, I will keep in touch. vander
Unread 10-11-2004, 01:52 PM

Hi again!

It's a good idea to keep a journal of any symptoms you are having. You can print the too much/too little list off and refer to that for your journal. Then you have a written record to share with your doctor or nurse practioner.

There is another conjugated estrogen choice available for women who prefer not to take Premarin. It's called Cenestin. Some women do really well on conjugated estrogens but they aren't for everyone. If you prefer to go with something that is as natural as what your ovaries made, bio-identical is the way to go.

Concentrate on balancing as much as possible on estrogen alone at first. Things get complicated in a hurry if you try to start multiple hormones at the same time. You're right - it is largely a guessing game as to the type of estrogen and the right dose, too! That's why we have a Hormone Jungle forum on this site!

s
Unread 10-11-2004, 02:05 PM

April, thanks for your referral to Cenestin. I thought I was the only one on that. Right now, hot flashes are still occuring and the last 3 days I feel like I want to really be angry and that is not like me at ALL! oh well, I really feel pms'ing and I haven't had periods, normal cycle in 16 yrs. thanks for the comments on hormones...
Unread 10-11-2004, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by petlover
At my 4 week check up my doctor said I would still have some discomfort until about 3 months and wouldn't feel like myself until the 6 month mark.
Thanks so so SO very much for that info. While I want to think my OB/GYN is a skilled surgeon, I get the impression that's all he focuses on. PLUS he's a man and thus pretty clueless about how TAH recovery really feels.

His stance after my 6 week followup appt was basically, "My work here is done. You're all better now. You're back to normal. Off you go!"

Grrrr...

;-)

So, it's nice to hear, via indirectly, what your doctor told you. I don't feel like I'm a slacker.

And 'thank you's to everyone else who have provided reassurances that I'm not a slacker because I'm not, at 7 weeks post op, feeling like I was at my back to my pre-op state.

Regarding those who complained about fatigue. Please don't overlook your hemoglobin iron levels. It may be low. Mine was. Low hemoglobin iron could be contributing to your fatique.

For a few months pre-op, I had been suffering from serious anemia without realizing it. I was very tired and very brain foggy and dizzy. Then, a week after surgery, I ended up in the ER because my iron had dropped to dangerous levels.

My hemo iron is back to normal now. Sadly, my night sweats are now causing my fatigue.

If it ain't one thing, it's another! Sometimes I wish I was prepubescent.

Desiree

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register