Having 2nd thoughts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having 2nd thoughts Having 2nd thoughts

Unread 10-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Having 2nd thoughts

Hi, I am 46 years old, mother of 4 ( 1 special needs) I am scheduled to have a TAH ( hopefully keeping my ovaries) very soon. I have a very large fibroid that is putting pressure on other organs and my dtr. has been telling me to have this done for quite sometime now. My concern is this, I have had to change the date several times already because of situations at home. Also I am having a hard time dealing with the fact, that while I feel not perfect right now, the idea of putting myself and my family through this without it being an absolute emergency, am I doing the right thing. I have been lurking on this site for the last few months, and while I read that most people recover fairly soon, it seems like quite the process to get there. Is there any harm in delaying this surgery from anyone's personal experience. I don't appear to have any other issues other than a very large fibroid.

I really don't know what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Having 2nd thoughts

I don't blame you one bit for having 2nd thoughts. If you are not having any symptoms like pain or excessive bleeding there should be alternatives for you. I would definately talk to your doctor about other options. You can check out this website for some more information.

http://www.ask4ufe.com/index.cfm

Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Unread 10-13-2004, 12:23 AM
Having 2nd thoughts

I would say your intuition is speaking to you and you should pay attention to your inner feelings. Hysterectomy poses a risk to the ovaries even when you plan to keep them and the ovaries are MAJOR contributors to your overall health.

Did your doctor discuss myomectomy with you? Did he tell you why he wants to take out the whole uterus for just one fibroid? Have you sought a second or third opinion? There is a site on other alternative surgeries at www.alternativesurgery.com you may want to check out. (admin note: this link has been submitted to our Resources directory)

I didn't seek out another opinion or investigate other treatments, something I regret terribly. This is major surgery and you should be 100% certain it is the right thing for you before you consent. Please take the time to educate yourself on all options available and if you haven't already, get another opinion.

Best wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2004, 12:26 AM
Having 2nd thoughts

the link 2 above is just one of many you will find in our Resources directory (first item in the menu bar at the top of every page!)
the link in Lucille's post has been submitted to the resources directory for approval.
My concern with you putting off your surgery is that you say the fibroid is large and is putting pressure on other organs. This puts other organs at risk.

There is rarely a good time to have surgery and if you have 4 children, one of whom has particular needs, you may never find the "right time" to have surgery.

You are 46 ... have you been checked to see where you are in terms of menopause? sometimes fibroids shrink when we hit menopause.
Fibroids can be removed, but that surgery is not for everyone, and can also be invasive. - plus fibroids can come back.

I think you need to really find out what your risks are for NOT going ahead with the surgery and what alternatives you have - and that most likely means seeing 2-3 doctors.

I'm not saying have surgery or don't have surgery - but you do have to understand what problems you might run into if you don't have it. --- if you've been reading this board for a while you have a decent idea of what issues you might have to deal with after surgery.

I know this isn't an easy decision to make ---- best wishes as you work through what is the right choice for you.
--- please let us know what you discover and decide.
Unread 10-13-2004, 01:41 AM
Having 2nd thoughts

Hi, I can understand you worrying, especailly about things at home while you are away, I have the same problem, leaving my 5 and 3 year old! The only advice I have is that it's time to put yourself first! Whatever you decide to do now is the time for you to be no 1 on your list. You cant put your health and your life on hold. Make the decision that's best for you, that you are happy with and go for it. Your health is the most important thing, you need to be well for your family. I hope you can make a decision that makes you happy. xxx
Unread 10-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the input

Thank you for all your replies, I have made an appt. with my surgeon for next week, I am going to go over all of this with her again. I spoke with my GP the other day and told him my concerns. He said to me " we have discussed this many times" you know that you need to have this done. So i will talk to the surgeon and make my final decision next week.

Thanks again for all your help.

busyldy2002
Unread 10-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Having 2nd thoughts

I cannot stress enough the importance of a second opinion from a doctor outside your current doctor's sphere of influence. This means not the surgeon he refers you to or the colleague down the hall or anyone else he recommends. The benefit of a set of "fresh eyes" before committing to permanent, irreversible, life-altering surgery cannot be overstated. If the second opinion confirms the proposed treatment then you will have peace of mind that you made the right decision. Believing you made the right decision for you can be especially beneficial if something goes wrong. There is nothing worse than looking back and knowing you probably wouldn't be in this position "if only" you had gone somewhere else or been more informed.
Unread 10-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Having 2nd thoughts

Dear busy:

Welcome to HysterSisters

Here is a link to the fibroid section of our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26

You can also get some great info at www.thefibroidplace.com Are you a candidate for the less-invasive UFE?

I was able to get 3 medical opinions, and my doc #2 had much more cutting & pasting in mind for me than doc #3. Being at peace with your decision (after getting more opinions) can be a big asset in your recovery.

Ultimately, only YOU must live with your pre-op symptoms and your post-op results, good OR bad. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for you.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 10-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Having 2nd thoughts

[quote]Originally posted by CAS29
<Lots of good stuff>
QUOTE]
Sometimes we women need to put ourselves first. It's like that announcement on planes about the oxygen masks: put yours on first before helping your children.

Whatever you decide, make sure you decide what's best for you, not just what's convenient.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register