what can I actually do around the house? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what can I actually do around the house? what can I actually do around the house?

Unread 10-14-2004, 06:21 PM
what can I actually do around the house?

I am now 9 days post op after a TAH and there's only so much you can ask in hospital about chores you can manage during the next 6 weeks off.

I was wondering what I can and can't do now!

I have had my family doing the washing and hanging up of clothes and placing and removing them from the dryer. My Mother has done the ironing and I am sending some out as well.

I haven't done any work around the house - just sat in my chair and watched - most frustrating

I havent even dried my hair with a blow dryer as I've been told not to lift my arms above me head. This means either looking and feeling like a mess or visiting a hair salon regularly.

I am very curious to know what everyone else manages to do without feeling worn out or as if they have done themselves some internal damage.

I am 47 years old and have 2 grown up sons and one very helpful husband. I am feeling wonderful and am not on any pain meds and would love to start doing something

I have a regular cleaner that comes in so I don't need to vacuum or doing any heavy tasks like clean bathrooms. I just want to start coooking and baking again and blow dry my hair!!!!

I'd love to hear from you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2004, 06:34 PM

I had my surgery the day before you. All my Dr said was no driving for 2 weeks, not to lift anything over 5 pounds for 6 weeks and nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks. I've been putting clothes in and out of the washer/dryer, but not lifting the laundry basket. I've blown/curled my hair with no problems. I make the beds, sweep the floors (NO vacuuming), etc. I am just going by what my Dr said and I am doing great so far.

I'm like you no pain meds after the first couple of days.

I had a TVH what did you have?

Tracy
Unread 10-14-2004, 06:38 PM

Thanks for your advice. I had a TAH due to enlarged fibroids. I am glad to hear that you are coping well with small household duties.

I will be driving as of next Wednesday so can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2004, 06:40 PM

I blew dry my hair in the hospital.....as long as your blow dryer doesn't weigh 5 lbs, you're ok!

I would say if you have all that help, enjoy it!!!
You truly are a
Unread 10-14-2004, 06:47 PM

Hello shmoo!!
I had instructions from my dr not to push/pull anything(vacuum), not to lift anything above 5 pounds, and generally just to listen to my body and not over do. I tried to make dinner last night and paid for that. I can do little chores--make the bed, fold laundry-- as long as I pace myself. I am 2 weeks post op today and had a TAH. I feel pretty good. I also do my hair and put my face on most mornings. I have a dh who does most everything around here and refuses to let me do anything!!! I am certainly no dr, but I think you should just take things as you feel ready for them. And I think as long as someone else is willing to do ANYTHING around the house, LET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of hugs Jenn
Unread 10-14-2004, 06:53 PM
housework

I am 16 days post op. I had a tah. I have felt good for the last couple days until yesterday i stayed on my feet all day. Boy have i payed or it. I have hurt bad all day. So take it easy.
Unread 10-14-2004, 07:06 PM

Hi Shmoo!

I had my surgery one day before you, and like you, I'm feeling pretty good. I hate to sound like a freak, but I actually LIKE straightening up around my house (I know ... weird!) However, I'm trying to be a good princess and take it really easy. I've been helping to tidy the kitchen a bit, helping to get the kiddies off to school and picking up light items and putting them away. I'm trying not to stress about any excess clutter as DH is doing the best he can (bless his heart!)

I was never told not to raise my arms above my shoulders, so I've been drying my hair daily.

I do find that I'm reaching for things a little too much, and I probably shouldn't be doing that.

Glad your recovery is going well. Happy healing!

... Tracey
Unread 10-14-2004, 07:35 PM

Hi

I am 4 days post op from a SAH. I just got home yesterday. I haven't done too much but shower and blow dry my hair. I wasn't told anything about lifting my arms above my head and I don't feel uncomfortable doing it. I just poured myself a glass of milk (so I can take meds) and wondered if the gallon of milk is too heavy to lift. I think I remember hearing 10 lbs. max so I think I'm ok. I am still trying to figure out the right way to move. Like getting in and out of a chair or lying on the couch. I found that sleeping on the couch is most comfortable. The back of the couch supports my back so I can lay on my side semi-propped.

I am suffering from severe swelly-belly. Have gas, can pass but still no BM. I still feel swollen. I know I will feel better if I can get the gut moving. I had a bad experience yesterday with my percoset. In the hospital I was taking 2 tablets every 4 hours, but I think I was getting anti-nausea meds IV also. I took my first dose at home yesterday with a little yogurt smoothie and about an hour later got sick...ouch! Just what I didn't want to do. I backed off to one percoset and made sure I have more on my stomach. I am alternating this with 800 mg. motrin.

My DH has been waiting on me pretty good, and my children are out of town visiting grandma and grandpa (fall break). This worked out wonderful for surgery. My hubby has been able to focus on just me. He is worn out now, I found out he hasn't slept the whole time I was in the hospital. He was worried out of his mind. Good thing he kept his cool around me because he appeared to be so calm. I wouldn't have been able to go through this if I knew how scared he really was. What a nice guy huh?

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting off the sticky residue from all the surgical tape used. I have it all over me, from edpidural site to IV site to EKG tabs. We tried alcohol, doesn't work very well.

I am looking forward to being where you are, I know every day will get better. I am soooo glad the surgery is over!
Good luck in your recovery.

Patty
Unread 10-14-2004, 09:30 PM

They told me:

No lifting of more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks
No driving for at least two weeks, and then only short distances until I'm comfortable with it
Nothing in my vagina for 6 weeks

Other than that, they said I COULD do steps as I felt able, but that anything strenuous such as bending and reaching, vacuuming, etc. was a very bad idea for possibly even longer than 6 weeks because of all of the internal stitches.

I am sitting in my queen chair and have done nothing other than pick up just a few things from the floor, fold my own bath towel, some minor cooking, and I put a few things in the dishwasher. That's it. Everything else either gets done by others or it just doesn't get done!!

Good luck to you.
Unread 10-14-2004, 09:47 PM

Hi ladies
I so remember the initial recovery and how frustrating it was and how bored i got doing nothing day in and day out. I find if you behave yourself you will be able to do more each week. It takes up to a year or better to totally heal from this surgary. They were not kidding on that part as I get reminders at 7months to slow down and pace myself.
There is an article here at this site that tells you what is light housekeeping and what is allowed and not allowed.
Most of what everyone has said so far is true.
Avoid staying on your feet or stitting up too long as that puts strain on abs and on insides.
I did my first week nothing other then sleep and take pain meds. I stayed at my dads.
when i got home I goofed and over did it at day 8. I cleaned off christmas decorations in march now that is how bad I was feeling. I cleaned some things I should not and felt pain. Boy I should have been in bed. I paid for that with my insides feeling like they wanted to come out. The next day I remember cooking this huge dinner so I would not have to cook for a bit. I told dr i even picked up a ten pound bag of taters off of floor. she about flipped. To say the least I learned the hard way to rest and enjoymyself. I remember taking the bus at the 11 day mark and it killedme to get to dr and then doing it the next day. one man tried to push me off the bus as i was going too slow. To say the least I gave him an earful. I found borrowing a cane did wonders for me walking and getting on bus. You would be amazed how many people gave me a seat!
anyways I digress.
I just want to say let the house go and try to focus on healing. There are tons of internal stitches that need to dissolve. Also a warning that behaving yourself happens even after clearance. I learned that one well.
just remember no bending lifting, twisting or doing anything that will harm your abs.
take care you all!
teresa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register