Vaginal discharge-seen DR | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal discharge-seen DR Vaginal discharge-seen DR

Unread 10-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Vaginal discharge-seen DR

I'm 8 months post-op and had my 2nd pap smear since surgery yesterday. My doctor says all looks good, tho I have vaginal wall thinning which is coming from menapause. I had posted earlier that I had seen some discharge, so I mentioned that to my DR yesterday, and he says its normal and that its coming from menapause also. He wanted to know if I was taking hormones, which I was until I pulled myself off them last month.

So now I get to wait 2-3 weeks before hearing from the pap and praying that all will be well. He also told me that I would not have to return until another 4-6 months. I was orginially told I would have to had a pap smear every 3 months for who knows how long. So I'm thinking this is good news.

The reason I stopped hormones was that my breasts got so terribly sore and my fingers would get puffy. I was really afraid that I was getting too much estrogen. My DR did mention that I might want to use a little estrogen and use that vaginally. He didn't seem to be so overly concerned about using some estrogen even with my high risk.

I'm still having some pain on my right side, and after really examining me, he says the abdominal wall is still trying to heal. He said that even tho its been 8 months, it still takes a while to heal. Makes sense to me.

I did have some pain with the pap. When he inserted the speculum, it was quite painful. Don't know if he just was not real careful, or if I am still tender and with the vaginal walls being thin, if that made a difference. (I must add that I'm not married and not sexually active, so I don't have the advantage that you married women have!!)

Am I alone in this, or did any others have pain with the paps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi

You may be having vaginal atrophy, which I have. Thought I'd go through the roof on the last pelvic exam. The tissue thins, there is some discharge, pain, etc. One help with atrophy is to use a dilator. Iif you want to PM me I can explain a bit more.
Unread 10-16-2004, 11:23 PM

I use permarin cream, two or three times a week to help with vaginal atrophy. I had my exam this week and it did hurt a bit. The doctor said that is because the top of my vagina is still 'fragile' from the radiation. He said that the premarin cream helps heal the vaginal tissue and helps to prevent atrophy.

Did your doctor give you a perscription for Premarin cream? It's my understanding that using it vaginally it has less affect on your whole system but works well locally.

I am surprised you have to wait so long for your pap to come back. Two or 3 weeks seems rather excessive. My doctor said he gets results in 5 or 6 days. He'll call if there is anything to be concerned about. Since pap smears didn't work for me in the past, I pay no attention to them now. I have much more faith in what they gyn/onc sees and feels.

Best,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2004, 05:55 AM

Samie: Your description sounds much like me. But I had had some vaginal issues even before surgery because I was going through menopause. I had stopped HRT because of the WHI study results. As my estrogen dropped, I started having pain on intercourse. Premarin cream solved the problem.

After surgery, for the same cancer you had, I was not sure of the safety of the Premarin cream in my case and did not use it. I contacted the Dr and he suggested I go back to using the cream. As we decided, use just a small dab and use only as much as is necessary, not some specified amount.

I got a tube of cream last December which contains the amount of premarin that would usually be in, I think, 6 weeks of oral treatment. I still have about 1/3 to 1/2 of the tube left. And the absorption from the skin is much less than when taken orally. The treatment goes directly to the tissues that benefit from it and therefore have a lower risk than the oral hormone. Lower amounts = lower risks of adverse effects.

It's been a successful treatment for me. You might ask your Dr. about it.

Linda
Unread 10-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Vaginal Wall Thinning

Tomorrow I go for my new "toy", a vaginal dilator, which I was told was a subsitute for a guy, since there is no one in my life right now.

I did have a problem at my last gyn exam, and it did hurt, but I have had a couple of exams recently, by the radiation oncologist and of course, during my internal radiation, which did not hurt. Maybe my doctor has big fingers.

Can anyone tell me anything about the dilators that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Adele
Unread 10-18-2004, 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your replys. My DR did mention using some estrogen vaginally as some of you have mentioned using it. He did say that only a small amount was needed, and since it was being used vaginally, it would go directly to the tissue needed and not be distributed throughout the whole body. I have an appointment with my MD in a few weeks and will discuss this with her and find out if the estradiol (which I was on before) can be used vaginally.

I don't like waiting so long for the results of my pap, but the last time I waited 3 weeks before I called to get the results. I'm not waiting so long this time, I'll be calling before the week is out!!

I'm also scheduled for a bone density test tomorrow morning. I've never had one before, so hope it won't be too painful and I pray the results will be good.

Thanks again for all the replys. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done if it hadn't been for this site!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register