adhesions returning | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

adhesions returning adhesions returning

Unread 10-17-2004, 10:44 AM
adhesions returning

Hello
I need some advice. I had surgery in January of '04 to remove adhesions. The pain has returned and is increasing. Do I consider having another surgery? Any other options out there? I tried acupuncture and it was very helpful, however I can't afford the fee every week and insurance doesn't cover it. Thanks for the input!

Monica
TAH/LSO 3/03, RSO 7/03 Endo, fibroids and adenomyosis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2004, 09:17 PM
adhesions returning

Hi ((((Monica)))) I'm so sorry you're pain is back, not even a year after your latest surgery

While I've never delt with the adhesion monster, I know that there are a number of Road Dwellers that are facing it Hopefully they'll be around to share some insight, very soon.

That said, I do know that trying to remove the adhesions surgically is Catch 22 situation as adhesions are caused by sugery, among other things. So additional surgery often results in additional adhesions

Here's a link to our Resources Library, specifically where Adhesions are concerned: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...n=browse&cid=5 Hopefully you'll find some useful information by browsing those links.

Sending lots of s your way and hoping that you find answers and relief, soon.
Unread 10-17-2004, 11:44 PM
adhesions returning

I just had adhesion surgery and my worry is that they will return . I hope you find relief .I know how tiresome it can be . My symptoms were different though > I was throwing up continuously

mei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2004, 12:22 PM
adhesions returning

Monica,

Hi, I too had surgery but in Feb '04 to remove adhesions that had wrapped around my left ovary. The pain has been slowly creeping back getting more and more frequent over the last couple months. Now it is to the point that it is every day, I feel ok in the morning, but the longer I am up and the more I do the worse it is. I can only assume it is adhesions since there is nothing left on that side, they have removed it all. I am trying to figure out what other options there are also for those like us, we shouldn't have to live in pain. I hope you find a resolution that works for you and you are able to function without any pain.

Heather
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Think twice

Hi, Monica.

I also had adhesion surgery in July '03, after having had a TAH/BSO in January, '03. I felt my adhesions return fairly soon after my July surgery and, in fact, they were so bad during that surgery that my physician had to open me up again. I researched adhesions to a sickening point and, as a result, determined I was going to exhaust every option I could before returning to the operating room. As Dany states, adhesions are truly a Catch 22. The more you cut, the more you get. Think of it as picking at a scab. The more you pick at the scab, the worse your scar will be. Adhesions are just our body's way of over-healing and trying to protect the organs. My doctor even used all kinds of Seprafilm barrier and they still returned. I'm still not ruling surgery out at some point, but at least for now, I'll tolerate the pain issues I have. You might ask your physician to refer you to a Physical Therapist. I went through four months of intensive PT after my adhesion surgery and learned countless stretching exercises and massage techniques that have been invaluable to me. I can tell when I let up on them because my pain gets worse. As long as you are still on the fence about whether you should or shouldn't have surgery, you might want to investigate your options a little further. Pain is a funny thing because we have to try to determine what is an acute pain that needs immediate attention and what is chronic pain that we need to to manage. It's hard for us to imagine (or at least it is for me) that we can feel pain and something not be terribly wrong inside our bodies. I guess the best advice of all is just to talk with your physician and make sure you and she/he discuss all your options and what might help you control your pain until you can make a decision. Lots of hugs while you're deciding. Feel free to PM me anytime.
Unread 10-18-2004, 05:23 PM
adhesions returning

I have been down this road also, and have heard the same... The more they cut the more you get. My Doc suggested a heating pad. He said that it helps reduced the amount of scar tissue post op. Seems minimalistic, I know, but has really helped me. Helps with the pain too.

Good Luck to you!
Unread 10-18-2004, 11:42 PM
adhesions returning

there are some physical therapists that are trained in loosening up adhesions and cutting down on the pain caused by them. theres a name for this though i cant recall at the moment. its basically a massage in the general region of the adhesions that somehow loosens things up a bit. its worth trying before resulting to another surgery as this will only cause more adhesions to form.
Unread 10-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Adhesion Physical Therapy

You might be referring to Rolfing. Rolfing is a massage technique that targets connective tissue in the general area of adhesions. I've been going to a Rolfer for about three months now and it has helped immensely. As my rolfer stated to me, they can't "fix" my adhesions, but they can work the connective tissue around the adhesions so they don't hurt so bad. I've really noticed a difference.
Unread 10-19-2004, 08:50 AM
adhesions returning

Wow, Monica ....

I am reading this and thinking ...me too.

I actually obtained and read my hyst op report and path report as well as my lap op report just yesterday. Lots of interesting stuff in there to say the least and should make for an interesting discussion at my checkup tomorrow.

I am getting by pretty well most of the time and I find that allowing myself to rest with a heating pad is quite helpful. I have learned that if I don't take the effort to nip the pain in the bud, it just gets worse. I also have darvocet to take for the really bad spells, but mostly do well on OTC naproxen sodium.

So, I am in a self styled pain management routine and I will go forward like this until it is unmanageble and then I will ask for intervention of some sort. I may look into the PT or massage therapy. That might be well worth a try to loosen things up.

Take care of you! s
Unread 10-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Monica!

You have recieved some pretty good advice and sisters who have shared their adhesion experience. Mine also follows the same path. I had multiple surgeries to remove adhesions, only to have them return months later, even with the use of a barrier. So for me surgical release is no longer an option unless there is a life threatning situation. I am in pain managment therapy now and for me I have a good quality of life back. The advice you received is very good. You need to do your homework and decide what path best suits you. I think you can see that adhesions are a a monster with a pattern. I wish you luck in your journey to find the path that best suits you!

Big Big 's Susie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register