Breast Cancer Awareness Month | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Breast Cancer Awareness Month Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Unread 10-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Dear (((Sisters))),

I had a mammogram today, just as if nothing had ever happened. Well, almost.

All my life I'd always been the healthiest person I knew. Like everything else about my body, my breasts never gave me a day of trouble... no lumps, no pains, nothing. Starting nine years ago at age 39, my DR had me get a mammogram every year. I remember being a little nervous the first time, fearing it would hurt (it didn't, not very much anyway), but *knowing* that it would be over in a matter of minutes and I could go on about my life, secure in the knowledge that, between that and the pap, I'd fulfilled my perfunctory obligation for the year, so I couldn't possibly be at risk. I had no family history of breast cancer, so no reason to worry -- right?

Fast forward to December 2003, almost two years after my hysterectomy. By then, I'd had eight perfectly clear mammograms. I practically slept through them. The ninth one was no exception... I joked with the technician, then when she finished, I got dressed and went shopping, not giving it another thought.

A few days later, I got a terse phone call from the breast center at the hospital, saying they needed me to come back in for "additional views" on one breast. That was followed by a letter, which said there was a suspicious looking area in one breast that needed further examination. I was also told that at this facility, about 15% of patients are called back for further studies, so it isn't such an uncommon thing; and that of that 15%, only about 15% go on to have a biopsy.

Well, guess what? I always did have a knack for beating the odds. The compression mammography they did confirmed the presence of a 1cm area with microcalcifications, and the configuration was sufficiently suspicious that they were recommending a biopsy. However, they reassured me that of those biopsied, about 80% or more turn out to be benign.

I had a stereotactic biopsy in January 2004. In February I was back in the hospital, having a lumpectomy. The pathology report showed four kinds of non-invasive cancer cells, including LCIS and low grade DCIS, and clear margins My surgeon called me his 'poster child for early detection'.

Since then, not a day goes by that I don't think about how lucky I was that it was detected when it was still very small and non-invasive. I'm getting stronger every day... but I will never again have the luxury of having that "it could never happen to me" feeling. I am always wondering if/when I'll get another one of those calls from the hospital, letting me know that something isn't quite right.

So, it was with a fair bit of trepidation that I showed up at the hospital today for my first followup mammogram since spring (I'm on an every 6 months schedule for the next 2 years). The radiologist was standing by, waiting to read the films and direct the technician to take additional views if anything looked the slightest bit suspicious.

When the radiologist said, "everything looks fine - no sign of anything suspicious there. See you in 6 months, OK?", I almost fainted with relief. And then I got dressed, and went shopping, just as I did that first time. The difference is, I don't take my life for granted anymore, and definitely don't have that carefree, 'ok, I've done my duty, now I don't have to think about this for another year' attitude. I've done my homework, educated myself about breast cancer detection and treatment, and taken responsibility for making sure I am doing what I need to do to stay healthy and (hopefully) cancer-free; and I'm prepared to deal with the eventuality that I do have a recurrence. And I'll be getting that next mammogram in six months, you can bet on it.

For information on breast cancer detection and treatment, check out the Breast Cancer section of our Resources directory:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=14

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. My local Curves is having a raffle at the end of the month ... to enter, we have to present proof of having had a mammogram this year. They have several prizes... cute merchandise which would be fun to win. But the *real* prize is the possibility that cancers that, if allowed to grow, could be fatal, could possibly be detected early enough to remove them safely and easily before they present a serious threat to life and health. Early detection is still the best weapon we have against breast cancer, and I for one intend to wield that weapon well. Anyone care to join me?

-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2005, 11:59 AM

Linda,

I'm so happy You are doing so well! Have there been any changes? Are there any updates you care to share?

s!
Cortney
Unread 10-24-2005, 03:34 PM

Hi I just went for another half-yearly diagnostic mammogram last Friday, and I'm happy to say it was ALL CLEAR It's still a nerve wracking experience for me... probably always will be now... but such a huge relief to hear that I'm good for another six months now. And, if the next one is clear, they'll put me back on a once a year schedule.

I was at Curves this morning, and we were chatting about this subject because it's once again Breast Cancer Awareness Month... I was shocked at how many of the ladies, most in their 40s and 50s, had either never had a mammogram or admitted they had the order for one at home but hadn't made the call to schedule it. Goodness... it's a half hour or so out of our lives, really not all that uncomfortable, insurance usually picks up most of the cost, and it can save lives. Why NOT do it? Because they're all thinking like I used to... "It'll never happen to me". Amazing how quickly one can go from "It'll never happen to me" to "it happened to me and it could happen to me again any time".

The lesson I've learned from all this is, I can't predict what the future holds for me, and I can't totally prevent bad things from happening... but I need to do as much as I can to increase my odds of staying healthy. I recently read an article that concluded that ladies diagnosed with DCIS who begin an exercise program involving at least a half hour of cardio exercise several times a week have half the recurrence rate of those who don't. That alone is incentive enough to keep me moving. I've improved my eating habits and worked hard to balance my hormones (bio-identical) along with taking a good mixture of vitamins and supplements as recommended by my DRs. I see them all regularly and don't shy away from any tests they might request. I get regular mammograms and DEXA scans. It's a responsibility we all have to take care of our bodies, so we can stay around a long, long time.

-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2005, 07:17 PM

Hi Linda!
I am so glad to hear you are doing just fine!
I am with you, I am also shocked and saddened when I hear of ladies who just don't follow up with their mammograms! I know some in my family that do this and it drives me crazy!! They think because there is no family history they are not at risk!! I argue with them regularly...I hope that maybe someone who glances at your post will be encouraged to "go for it" and know that this is a life saving test!!!

Mel
Unread 10-27-2005, 09:08 AM

Hi Linda:

Great advice. You are a prime example of how to focus on wellness for all of us.

Just wanted to add that it might be necessary to push your doctor to write your followup orders. My MIL just was diagnosed with invasive differentiated ductal carcinoma. She had a suspicious mammogram in January of 2004 and the radiologist asked for a follow up in 6 months. Her primary REFUSED to give her the order for the 6 month point. Because he yelled at her and made her feel stupid for asking, she did not press for it. She just last week had another mammogram and that was after a painful, visible lump appeared.

All we can do is pray and move forward at this point and gear up for battle of the cancer. We can't go back, and change it now, but I can warn others to be vigilant. I had no idea this had happened or I'd have gotten involved earlier to teach her to advocate for herself. For now, I'm a fixture at her appointments to make sure she doesn't get the brush off again. And, she's welcoming that. And, we are working on getting her a less moody /more patient-focused primary care physician.

s for all my sisters!!! Fight for yourself or get help in the fight.
Unread 10-27-2005, 02:02 PM

I noticed in the grocery store last night that M & M's have brought back the pink M & M's in honor of Breast Cancer Awarness Month. Of course I bought some even though I really didn't need them. It went for a good cause anyway.

Lora

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register