Hole in bladder from surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hole in bladder from surgery Hole in bladder from surgery

Unread 10-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Unhappy - Hole in bladder from surgery Hole in bladder from surgery

I had a hysterectomy on 9/9/04. I was recovering fine for the first 2 weeks after then I discovered I could not control urination sometimes, mostly at night. I have had a catheter for a week and am told that I will be enjoying it's company for 3 more. I guess my question is, do the holes usually heal on their own? If i nees surgery for the repair, will I need a cath again, after it is fixed? The cath is very irritating. I have been advised to use diaper rash ointment, it seems logical to me but I wondered of any of you had any advise.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Hole in bladder from surgery

i gather from your post that it was just (and i use that term loosely) your bladder that was nicked and not an actual fistula that has formed from your surgery. if thats the case, usually those accidental holes/nicks heal on their own with time. i would trust the dr that this will heal within the next month or so w/o any intervention other than the friendly catheter...no need to worry about something that hasnt occured yet.
stay well
diana
Unread 10-21-2004, 07:49 PM

My surgeon put a sucture in my bladder during my TAH and I didn't discover it until 2 weeks post op. Nicks don't always heal. Make sure you take a proactive part of your health care. My doctor told me mine was just bladder spasms....this website helped me to discover that I had a vesicovaginal fistual ( a hole in my bladder). I did the research and took a very active role in my own recovery. I recommend everyone that is looking at post op problems should do the same.

Good luck to you.
Marnel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2004, 09:12 PM

Hi. I had an abdominal hysterectomy on 9-7-04.
My bladder was punctured and I had a catheter for 2 1/2 weeks. Everything seemed fine til I went back to work part time and immediately started to have to urinate every hour and had tremendous pain. Found out it looks like bladder spasms, no
bladder infection and am on Phenazopyrid to control spasm pain and to try to retrain my bladder
to work normally. I was told this is normal. Does anyone have info on Phenazopyrid? Did it help?
How soon did spasms stop? Thanks! Hope you don't end up with this problem, it is no fun.
Unread 10-28-2004, 07:08 AM

Nicksmamu....

I have been waiting to see a new post to see how you are doing. My bladder was also injured during my hyst. Has the nick healed?

Hope you are doing well!

Shellanne...

Have you seen a urologist or are you being treated by your gyne? I would suggest you see the best uro you can find to answer your questions. I am taking ditropan for bladder spasms. They are a real eye opener, aren't they? Hope you feel better soon.

Dee
Unread 10-28-2004, 07:51 PM

I too had a TAH/BSO on 8/16/04 and lost bladder control 6 weeks and 2 days after surgery and 1 day after being given a clean bill of health from the GYNO. Had pain episodes and ended up in the Gastro's office. CT was ordered which indicated a possible bladder/kidney infection. Two weeks on antibiotics and still blood in the kidneys. Today, had an appt. with a urologist. I have a hole at the end of the vagina which he thinks did not heal because of urine coming out of the fistula (hole) on the bladder and leaking on the vagina. The kidney did not absord the iodine properly during the original CT scan. He thinks there might be a nick in the kidney and possibly the ureter (sp). Back for kidney CT scan this Sat. and he said the kidney problem may be a totally different problem but the blood is coming from somewhere. Having look see into the bladder on Monday, blood workup today, and they are running a full urinalysis. Either way I'm looking at surgery again.

Has anyone had these problems, were they fixed, and how long was recovery? I'm tired of this, a bit overwhelmed and very frstrated.

TAH/BSO fibroid
Unread 10-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Angry - Hole in bladder from surgery Hole is bladder/incesion not healing

Hello everyone,First I would like to say thank you to everyone for all of your advise and concern. I am so greatful to have found this site.

I am pretty fed up with this whole situation and have decided that tomorrow I am going to call my GYN and demand that something be done. I have had a CATH for about 3 weeks for the hole in my bladder and the holes in my incesion are not healing. I started with one and have discovered another one in the last week. It seems I am healing on the outside but not inside. I have been on antibiotics for over 6 weeks including 4 days in the hospital on IV every 8 hours. This whole experience has been a nightmare.

I will let you know what's going on in a couple of days.
Thanks for listening.

nicksmamu
Unread 11-06-2004, 03:53 PM
bladder matters

I too have been dealing with Bladder matters. TVH on 10/22 and they did not realize for 24 hours that they had clamped my bladder and ended up woth a 3cm hole. Nightmare, emergency surgery. I had the cath removed yesterday...how barbaric, and the spasms and pain diring urination are beyond belief. All I can do is pray and try to follow orders at this point. My 1 day castle stay turned to 10 days...I wish all of you ladies the best of luck and pray for a speedy, painless recovery!
KEMP
Unread 11-11-2004, 10:52 PM

Kemp,
I'm so sorry about your ruptured bladder (and about all the other ladies in similar situations)! I had a ruptured bladder in Dec/02, immediately after my hyst for endometrial cancer. Ten litres of fluid were drained from my body. I had a chest tube because of water on the lung and ten days of heavy duty intravenous antibiotics. Ten days after the hyst I had another abdominal surgery (with bilateral urethral stents) to repair the bladder. I was very blessed to have an excellent urologist do the repair. My hospital stay was eighteen days long! It took me well over a year to regain my strength.

The good news is that my bladder, though certainly not the same as it used to be, does its job faithfully with minimal leaking. Last month I had an excellent urogynecologist perform another surgery to repair a rectocele and cystocele and I'm recovering well from that too.

This site has been such a wonderful support for me!!!!
Kemp, I wish you a complete recovery and relief from pain. Take it one day at a time!

Monalees
TAH/BSO for endometrial cancer/complications Dec/02; A & P repair Oct/04; synthroid for hypothryoidism
Unread 11-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Hole in bladder

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I am scheduled for surgery on my bladder on 12/6. I am also going to have a surgeon there to do some repair work on my incesion(s) so hopefully I won't have the healing problems that I had from my hysterectomy.

I go for a cystogram on the 29th but I can tell that there is still
a hole.

My dr says that the bladder repair is major surgery and I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can share their experience.

Nicksmamu

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register