30s and younger...how are you doing?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

30s and younger...how are you doing?? 30s and younger...how are you doing??

Unread 10-20-2004, 02:27 AM
30s and younger...how are you doing??

Hello. I'm 30 and I will mostly likely have a TAH, BSO on November 2nd. I am nervous to say the least. My ovaries are my main problem...so, they will go. How are those of you who are in your 30s or younger doing post op? If you've had your ovaries removed, how are you? How are you hormonally? I'm the most nervous about having my ovaries removed. Thanks so much in advance and God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2004, 08:00 AM

Hi hon
I'm 34 and had my surgery in June. I did keep my ovaries, but they went to "sleep" for several weeks post op. Even now, I think they are having the occasional "NAP" because I've been experiencing wicked hot flashes!

My hyst was for endo and adeno, and adhesions. I am happy to say that I have no more pelvic pain, and the crime scene bleeding is gone forever!!!! I am so happy with my decision to have the hysterectomy.

i wish you an uneventful surgery and recovery

s
Northlights
Unread 10-20-2004, 08:06 AM

I am 29 and I just had a TAH on 10/14. I did keep my left ovary, but we don't know yet how well it is functioning. I am having some hot flashes, not much with mood swings (or maybe we should ask DH about that). But I really think I have an advantage with my age as far as my general health/ physical condition. I have bounced back really well so far and I think that is in part from being so active before my surgery.
I am actually kind of sick of hearing people say "...but you're so young..." Like I just decided one day "Hey, I know, just for kicks, why don't I have a hysterectomy?"! No, I really did not want to do this, I have been fighting since I was 17 to keep my "stuff", then when I went in for a check up for my endometriosis and ovarian cysts because my pain had gotten so much worse, my doctor found a very large calcified cyst (and several smaller ones) and with an elevated ca-125, he was concerned about cancer. I couldn't fight anymore. I haven't heard the official word, but since he let me keep my left ovary, I'm sure it wasn't cancer, but now I actually regret waiting as long as I did. I feel great! He removed the adhesions that made me feel like someone was ripping me apart, I don't have the pressure on my bladder that woke me 4 times a night, I don't have the cramps that doubled me over almost every day, or the constant pain that I was just learning to live with.
I think having a hyst is scary at any age, I honestly don't feel like waiting another 10 or 20 years would have made the decision any easier for me, but you have to do what is right for you, for your health. With as well as I feel now, just 6 days post op, I know that my quality of life is only going to improve, I hope yours will too.
I don't know if hearing my thoughts on this helps at all, but there are a lot of sisters who have gone before us, and there is a lot of great advice on this board, just keep reading, and remember to take care of yourself. Oh, and pray ALOT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2004, 09:47 AM

Hi, Sweettlc. I'm 32, and don't regret the surgery one bit. I kept both ovaries. I do have a small cyst on the left ovary which causes pain from time to time. I've been feeling pretty good for the most part. That first week after surgery, I did have hot flashes, but not anymore. I definitely have PMS symptoms, especially snapping at my fam for silly reasons. Now I'm just having what I believe are bladder pains. I don't know. I'm still getting used to my new body. I feel these weird sensations like I felt when I had a uterus. But overall, my recovery has been good. I'm completely happy with the choice.

Good luck to you!
Unread 10-20-2004, 10:47 AM

I am 26 and last September 23 I had my uterus and cervix removed, then 4 weeks later the went in and took my Appendix, then on September 21 of this year they took my tubes and overies. I can't do hormones for 6 mo. because of a cancer scair. So thats tough, the hot flashes and night sweats are very hard to deal with. But I don't have a choice, I have to do this so I can be here for my kids. I know in time things will get better, but every day I ask myself "Ok has'nt enough time passed."It's just one thing after another anymore.
Unread 10-20-2004, 04:20 PM

Hi- I am 33-
had a supracervical hysterectomy at 30- and fought for 7 years to have it-
so I am glad to have had it as people say "so young!"

Still have both ovaries and tubes- as well as cervix (as you can tell from the surgery type.)

I also still have these "phantom uterus" pains and mild cramps when I get a mini-cycle each month- but other than that- my life has been able to be "normal" again- HOORAY!

Being young and healthy helped w/ my recovery-
within a week I was walking a mile and doing mild ab work (not that I suggest this- it wasn't the greatest move on my part.) 17 days post-surgery I flew back to FL and was hiking the mangroves and beach area- though I got very tired and had to cat-nap every so often...

point is....

Dr. said my age and health were in my benefit-

my surgery gave me part of my life back- glad I didn't lose any more time waiting until "the right age."

Oh- I have no kids.....and didn't/don't want any- so that was no problem for me.

I am smack in the middle of a divorce which I still think my pre-surgery probs partially led to (do does he)- so sometimes I feel a touch lost and being 33, sterile, and single hit me- but it's an emotional adjustment and time overall-

find peace within yourself......

Dena.
Unread 10-20-2004, 09:42 PM

I'm 29 and 3 weeks post-op having everything removed. So far so good. I am taking estrogen which are working just fine and I can't tell the difference as compared to when I had ovaries. My uterus was my initial problem. I had my 3rd baby (and 3rd c-section) 4 months ago and my uterus would not go back down to normal size and I just bled and bled, it would just not stop. My doc. believed it was adneomyosis which it was. When doing my surgery, my Dr. noticed that my ovaries were covered in cysts and wrapped in varicose veins (yuck), so they were taken too. Emotionally, I have to tell you the truth for the first week I was devastated! I mean being so young and my ovaries gone??? I cried for the whole week. But after my hormones straightened out I realized that being healthy was so important. I did not want more children anyway, my tubes had been tied with my last c-section. Good luck in with your surgery. I hope all goes well. If you just need to talk send me an email.
Unread 10-20-2004, 10:04 PM

Hey, I'm 30 years old and had mine lavh/bso on Oct. 6, '04. Which is a total hysterectomy and both ovaries removed. I have to say I was worried and did pray about this for a couple of months. My doc said that I would eventually have to get rid of the ovaries because of endo, it was just a matter of doing it now or waiting another 2 to 3 years. Well, I don't like surgery, so I decided to ahead and do it now. Glad I did! I had a laproscopy done in August to see what was wrong with me, which I was diagnosed with endo, adeno, and a follicle cyst on left ovary. On the day of my hysterectomy, he found that I had a 6 cm blood cyst on my right ovary that was not there in August. There was also endo all around that ovary and on it. I started estratest the following day after surgery and have done great, just one real good hot flash, but I do seem to be a little bit warmer than usual. My body is still adjusting to all the changes. But it has surely helped with the sex drive, no pain and now just waiting patiently for my 4 week post op appointment. Good luck with everything!
Unread 10-21-2004, 02:36 AM

All of your replies have been great. It is not all that often that you run into women who are in their 30s or younger who have had hysters...especially women who have had their ovaries removed. My doctor gave me the "you're so young" speech...but she did not tell me not to do it. She knows the struggles I've had. When she said "you're so young", I said, "yeah, but how many 30 year olds do you know who have all of the problems that I've had and am going through?" She said, "Not many." She just wants me to be happy and well and happy with whatever decisions I make.

I related to this, "it was just a matter of doing it now or waiting another 2 to 3 years". I am in the same boat. I have surgeries every 2 - 3 years. So, if I don't have the hyster now, I'll just have another "maintenance" surgery now and have the hyster in another 2 - 3 years. Thanks again for the replies...they've been great. Anyone else?? Take care and God bless.
Unread 10-21-2004, 10:09 AM

Hi Sweet! I'll chime in here since I'm still in my 30's (actually scaring the heck out of 40)! I am 38, and had my TAH/BSO on 9/13. Very, very glad that I did, too, since I was just plain tired of all the problems that I had been dealing with for YEARS. After my last child was born six years ago, things started to go downhill for me healthwise. I started the heavy bleeding, cramping, clotting, flooding etc., and was dx (wrongly) with PMDD. Well, eventually, this past summer, an ovarian cyst showed up on an internal ultrasound, which grew rapidly in just two monthly cycles. My doctor suspected endometriosis, and gave me the option of a hysterectomy since she felt it to be severe. So, I had the surgery, and she found that it has fused my uterus to my bladder and my bowel, AND had damaged the "good" ovary, and that had to go too. I feel like my life has just begun again, although the recovery is taking longer than I expected. It does take a LOT out of me, even though I was told that I was "young" and would do very well. Actually, I HAVE done very well, but I'm not very patient! I don't regret the decision at all, and have had the full support of my family doc, my gyn, and my family. What more could I ask for??

and good luck!
Tina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register