endo or adhesions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endo or adhesions? endo or adhesions?

Unread 10-23-2004, 08:43 PM
endo or adhesions?

How do you tell the difference between the two painwise?
Can endo come back after a hysterectomy?
Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2004, 09:34 AM
endo or adhesions?

Its very hard to tell the difference, for me. For instance, I was sure at my lap in January, my gyn would find a bunch of endo because of my history. Instead he found adhesions from my hyst and in his words I was remarkably clear of visible endo.

I've had diagnosed endo since 1990. So, my gyn and I suspected endo. Go figure.

Best wishes to you in finding a resolution to your pain, whatever the cause may be.

In the meantime, s
Unread 10-26-2004, 08:29 AM
endo or adhesions?

Since I have had 2 bouts of adhesions in less than a year and had to have 2 open surgeries for both, I can tell you that the pain was not different for me.
I thought the first time, it was the endo coming back, but he said I didn't have any. Heck, I even requested my medical records from the hospital to see if he dictated that too..LOL
Just don't wait for the pain to get severe, I did and then I had to wait for surgery...please go see, pain is not normal.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2004, 08:40 AM
endo or adhesions?

I can't tell the difference in pain between endo and adhesions either. Both hurt!! My doctor is currently treating me for endo with Lupron.....if that doesn't alievate the pain then we will assume it's adhesions....
Unread 10-26-2004, 10:23 AM
endo or adhesions?

my adhesions were on the gut . So sometimes it shows itself by nausea nd I puke unable to retain a meal .This went on for months . I alwayshad nausea as part of my cycle so that was also a possibility .

I have both endometriosis and adenomyosis . After the hysterectomy the endo returned to attack my ovaries . The ovary on my left side was not just enlarged but stuck to the gut

All this from normal( ovaries) in Jan to I WANT IT OUT NOW in september . With the endo and adeno where my womb was concerned i had severe pain

Sometimes its not pain but nausea that announces something nasty

mei
Unread 10-26-2004, 11:33 AM
endo or adhesions?

I just had a conversation with my husband a few minutes ago and fessed up that the past few days I have had intermittent pain on the right and left side of my pelvic area. I hated to tell him, since I have missed soooooo much time from work since my hysto 10/03..total of 6 months. While I have been out, he has been working 70 hrs a week to cover our expenses. But if this continues, I will be back at my docs this week. btw, I had laparotomy with lysis of adhesions 3 weeks ago..and yes they used that "film" to cover areas where they removed the adhesions. :-(
Unread 10-27-2004, 04:48 AM
endo or adhesions?

HI softy

When I told my doctor the pain was in my lower back and I also had pain down my legs (along with the abdomin. ) He first suspected endo. The only accurate way to diagnos endo is with a laproscopy. They have to go in for a look around, because an ultrasound will not detect it.

It is my understanding that endo does not "come" back after a hysterectomy. It is more likely that "ALL" the endo was not removed at the time of the surgery.

If every speck of endo is removed, then it should not grow back.

However if even one tiny speck is still there after the hysterectomy, then it can still remain "active" when there is estrogen present, such as HRT or when the ovaries are still producing estrogen.

Here is a link about endo Endometriosis

Hope this helps
Unread 10-27-2004, 07:19 AM
endo or adhesions?

That is true. Microscopic endometrial cells can "hide" from initial surgery. If not ablated, they will continue to grow and spread with the presence of estrogen, natural or chemical.
There really is no way of knowing most of the time, if it is endo or adhesions as most of the time, the pain is extremely similar.
If you are having pain, I again must say, see your doc. I know I am dreading having to call mine this morning.
Keep us updated!
Good luck!
Unread 10-27-2004, 09:57 AM
endo or adhesions?

Called my doc, went in and he had to leave to deliver a baby, so I have to go back at 2pm :-(
I have a feeling I know what he is going to tell me. He is going to send me to a general surgeon since I have had a TAH/BSO and this last surgery was a "favor".
I am about ready to scream...I don't want surgery again, but I want this pain to stop and get on with my life again. It has been a hell of a year.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register