Climara Patch 3 weeks post-op/Endometriosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Climara Patch 3 weeks post-op/Endometriosis Climara Patch 3 weeks post-op/Endometriosis

Unread 12-28-2000, 01:30 PM
Climara Patch 3 weeks post-op/Endometriosis

Hi Sisters,

I just came back from the dr. because my incision opened slightly and I was freaking out. Anyway, when I told him how I spent the last week crying and this week biting people's heads off, and the depression and the tiredness he said it was time for HRT. I was a little concerned because my hyst. was due to endometriosis and I read that estrogen can cause it to come back again if you don't wait long enough. He gave me Climara patch and I go back in one week for four week check-up. Has anyone else with endo started hormones this early? I don't want that pain coming back. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2000, 01:40 PM

When I went back for my 6 week post-op, same as you, he saw I NEEDED some HRT. I got the Clmara also but they started me at .025, which did nothing more than take away some hot flashes. Then (and now) I went to .05 and in a month I go up to .075 and hopefully that will be it. Doing MUCH better! But I also got bio-identical progesterone (compounded) to go with it. (I had stage 4 endo also) I've read quite a few here (and other places) that did do the HRT early but only with added progesterone to counteract the estrogen. I'm going on 4 months post-op now and so far so good! You'll feel much better very soon! Somewhere on this board someone posted the percentages of return of endo. I think the difference between waiting for HRT and starting it soon went from like 1% to 10% for endo return. For me it's a risk I am willing to take for quality of life! I would NOT have made it the 6-8 month wait without it. My sanity (and those around me ) would not have lasted.
Unread 12-28-2000, 02:20 PM
climara patch

Hi Janis,
I woke up from surgery with a Climara patch .05mg. I had a total hyst due to endo, am post op 3 weeks today and so far feeling really good. I guess I'm more worried about day-to-day functioning than I am about endo coming back. This past year has been pretty awful, mood swings all over the place. This last 3 weeks is the best I've felt all year. Hope you feel better too. Take care,
Debbie H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2000, 03:05 PM
Info...

The endo never really goes away unless it's surgically removed. IT may shrink to a manageable size, but it's still there. Any hormones CAN trigger it again...depends on how bad you had it and it seems to vary woman to woman. There is a concern that in some patients estrogen unopposed (no progesterone) can cause hyperplasia which is a cancerous form of endometriosis.

check out:

http://www.infoendo.homestead.com/files/endo.htm

for more resources on the subject. Bottom line is: LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If the endo comes back (as it did in my case) stop the hormones (of course you have hellish menopause symptoms...but no pelvic pain) then attempt a new hormone level. It's a tough arduous process....at least for me.

Many women breeze right thru...not me. Let me know how you're doing down the road. Hopefully, you'll have no problems.
Unread 12-29-2000, 11:37 AM
hormones post hyster d/t endometriosis

I had my hysterectomy on dec 22nd, my doctor told me I needed to wait 3 months before starting hormones. just wondering if this sounds like a usual time span, so far so good, have only had the occasional crying episode, very few hot flashes. just now starting to have less pain with movement. My doc started me on 800IU of vitamin E, has this helped anyone else?
Unread 12-29-2000, 12:21 PM

I did some research online after I got my patch at 6 weeks. Seems "they" say anywhere from 'you don't have to wait at all' to 2 years. The one thing I did seem to find in most articles is it is a crap shoot no matter how (or if) you wait. Try "Hysterectomy and Endometriosis" in a search engine....it will bring up more than you ever wanted to know

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register