serum progesterone vs saliva progesterone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

serum progesterone vs saliva progesterone serum progesterone vs saliva progesterone

Unread 10-25-2004, 09:56 AM
serum progesterone vs saliva progesterone

Which one is more reliable?
I had blood drawn for progesterone level. All my obgyn told me was it was normal. (didn't give me any numbers)

Is there a big range for progesterone? If my serum level of prog.is normal does that mean that my saliva level is normal?
I still have an edgyness about me like it would be easy for me to cry somedays. esp now when its the last 12-14 before i would have had a period. Sometimes anxious but not too bad.

Should I try the progesterone cream again? He told me to go home and relax for a while.
I don't know if "this" is in my head and I'm going mental or is it just a physical/psychological reaction to 3 surgeries ?

I'm thinking my adrenals need support. My obgyn is really no help. I bought emerita natural progesterone cream to try if my moods/anxiety get worse. I can manage them with a little work.

Kim M. if you are out there, you once said 'that is takes time and not react to every little symptom. It took you 6-mos to 1 year. This is what I would like to do. My edgyness seems cyclical, I find myself edgy, weepy on Sundays especially and Idon't know why for sure.

I thought about throwing myself into my family, my home, and reading some of my college books to try tothink about other things and see if these hormone problems are the real cause and if they go away.
**I know that some imbalance was/is here. I had muscle and joint aches and pains pretty bad the first 2 months after the hyster. now it has eased up. I thought there might have been or still is an imbalance between some hormones. I thought natural progesterone might be the answer.
obgyn said my levels are normal but he didn't say anything about the ratio of estrogen to progesterone. Any body know anything about that?
Thanks for any help your info. and responses are always appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2004, 05:49 PM

Hi amar!

I had both the serum and saliva testing done. The saliva testing said high estrogen and low progesterone. The serum testing showed good estrogen & high progesterone!!! My gyn said he feels that the serum testing is more accurate. Dr. Christine Northstrup said she no longer recommends saliva testing - only serum testing. She feels that the serum testing is more reliable.
I too have been weepy, especially on Sundays! I just (on my own) lowered my prometrium to 100mg ( I had been taking 200mg) because I felt so dragged out and not sleeping more than 4 hours a night. I thought I needed more progesterone - especially since the saliva tests came back showing me low. But then I read something in the hormone jungle about too much progesterone could knock out the effect of the estrogen. So, that's why I lowered my progesterone does. I've have a few nights of good sleep and I'm not so moody and sad...hope this helps you - take care!!!
Unread 10-26-2004, 05:19 PM

Ann,
I would recommend that you get a copy of your results. Ranges for the tests can be pretty broad and there really isn't one level where we all feel the same. It's possible that you're on the low end of normal and for you that may not be the optimal level. Testing can be helpful when you're having problems, but I feel that it also shouldn't be the ultimate deciding factor in what your needs are.

The cycling is interesting. I went thru the same thing. Even though my ovaries weren't there anymore I sure did feel like they were! I thought I was going crazy until I read that there were others who were going thru the same thing. There is a post here with a plausible explanation, I'll see if I can find it.

One thing that really helped me, was adding the supplements recommended here Necessary Supplements It wasn't until I added the supplements that I finally found some stability to my balance.

Have you tried the progesterone previously? What are you using for estrogen? Do you feel that your current doctor isn't really helping with the hormone issues? If you feel that he/she isn't perhaps it's time to look elsewhere for help in that area. I currently don't let my ob/gyn touch my hormone issues. He proved to me early on that it wasn't his expertise. He was a good doctor, hormones just aren't his speciality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2004, 05:49 PM

Ann,
I just saw in your profile that you kept your ovaries. If you kept your ovaries and they are cycling than it is possible that you're going to have fluctuations in your hormone levels as your ovaries cycle.

I would still suggest that you find a doctor who is knowledgeable about hormones.
Unread 10-26-2004, 06:50 PM

Kim M,
Thank you for your reply. I have been taking the necessary suppplements. I don't take estrogen. I didn't take any hormones after surgery. I took natural progesterone for 6 months prior to the hyster and it mostly helped some.
I have been getting cyclic fluctuations for the last two years.
I've put up with days that I'm weepy and tired and then days that I'm ok maybe its in my head. I've even been told by my hubby that I dont' really want to be happy. That is garbage. I feel physical symptoms.I would love to feel balanced everyday.

I get frustrated because some days I wake up feeling this way even though I slept well and other nights I sleep crummy and feel ok. I just can't pinpoint what is going up or down.
I even went out and bought liquid vitamens and omega 3 fatty acids.. I read on some post that a sister wasn't absorbing her vitamens. I'll try it.
My next two options (my own doing) will be to : I'm not sure which I will try first. I know that I will need to give each one time.
1. try the vitamen with vitex or chasteberry in it again. I only took it for two and 1/2 weeks need to take it longer I guess.
2. Try a different brand of natural progesterone cream this time.

I do have all my blood results but they don't tell me anything.
I've read a post by April Dawn that your results can say Normal but you don't quite feel that way. Its the cycling and fluctuating that bum me out. I almost wish the ob-gyn had taken my ovaries if they are going to cause problems until I'm in menopause.

Is it possible that it may just take 6 mos-1 year for things to stablize without hormones???? I wish, I don't want to do hormones.
Hope so,.. Thank you again. any more suggestions?
Unread 10-26-2004, 07:26 PM

Hi Girls!! This post is right down my alley. I too kept my
ovaries and have just about flipped out at times.
Through journaling and studying everything I could I have
just about come to the conclusion that my estrogen is
just lower than it use to be, besides the 0 progesterone.
I was wondering how long it would take my body to adjust
to not having as much estrogen as it use to. I am 8 months
post op and feel 75% better than the first few months
after surgery (due to progesterone). I just keep wondering
when I will feel normal again. My heart palps have went
away except from day 9 to day 15. Cant figure that out.
Thanks for everything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register