Do Adhesions Cause Cramps Or Should I ... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do Adhesions Cause Cramps Or Should I ... Do Adhesions Cause Cramps Or Should I ...

Unread 10-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Do Adhesions Cause Cramps Or Should I ...

ASSUME ENDO. AGAIN? I AM 31/2 MONTHS PO. I HAVE ADDRESSED THIS ISSUE WITH MY DR. AND HE SENT ME TO THE UROLOGIST THINKING IT MAY BE INTERSTIAL CYSTITS, BUT BLADDER WAS HEALTHY. HE SAID IT MAY BE ADHESIONS OR ENDO. AGAIN. I HAD BOTH OVARIES AND CERVIX REMOVED, AND HE PUT ME ON HRT RIGHT AFTER SURGERY. I AM ON A HIGH DOSE AND HAVE HAD THESE PROBLEMS SINCE ABOUT 5WKS PO. MY LEFT SIDE REALLY HURTS, WORSE WITH SEX AND I HAVE THE CRAMPING ALL THE TIME. I WAS CURIOUS TO SEE IF MAYBE ADHESIONS CAUSE CRAMPING? SHOULD I TAKE THE NEXT STEP AT THE DRS. OR SHOULD I WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS? I AM TIRED OF THE PAIN, BUT CAN NOT AFFORD A POSSIBLE SURGERY FINANCIALLY OR EMOTIONALLY. I AM TIRED AND LETHARGIC LIKE BEFORE SURGERY AGAIN EVEN THOUGH I TAKE MY VITAMINS. I AM SO FRUSTRATED GIRLS, HELP!!! ANGEL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2004, 06:15 PM

I would suggest going back to the doctor to get things checked out. For me, I had adhesions over on the left and had terrible cramping all the time; like a "stitch" in my side from running. When I went for a 4 week check up, I had adhesions and he burned them off with silver nitrate. When I go back again at 12 weeks, he said he could do it again if I needed it. Don't wait to let a small thing get to be a big thing and good luck!
Unread 10-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Thank-you for posting!!!!!

I cried when I read your post!! I have not posted in a while!
I had a hysterectomy done last year July. They removed my Uterus 2 years ago and my ovaries last year. I have been having so many problems since. I was put on hormones(premarin)and was not feeling well with that. I finaly found a doctor that prescribed compounded hormones and for a while(except for the cramps)felt well. The cramps got a lot worse(everything on left side). I have bad upper stomach swelling and felt as if I was getting my period. They did an MRI and it turns out that the doctor left my left ovary!!!!!!!!
I have also had bladder problems due to adhesions and had to have laser surgery in my uterer!! I was getting cyst again so they told me to stop the hormone cream. I sex life is shot and my husband says that I feel very dry and I have not had that problem before. I'm going back to the urologist on Monday because I feel lots of pain and I get up 7 to 8 times to go to the bathroom at night. Is as if my bladder is not emptying right!! I've been so depress the past couple of weeks and I really do not know what to do. Today I decided to come in here and read the posts and I saw yours and gave me hope!! I'm not the only one going through this. Please keep in touch and let me know how your situation goes and I will keep you posted on mine.
Lots of Hugs,
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2004, 06:40 PM

Maria did this Dr tell you he took both ovaries or did you assume? wow what a shock since you thought both were gone.
Unread 10-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Left an ovary!

He removed both.(or so I thought)
He put me on Premarin right away!
I kept having problems and pain and he wanted to put me on prosac. Telling me it was nerves!
I finaly told my family doctor to humor me and do an MRI of the pelvic area. And low and behold there was an Ovary!!!
A left ovary and I was getting cyst on them due to the hormones I was on!! Its been an up hill battle and I have my good and bad days. I've gained so much weight! I try and stay positive and busy!! But sometimes the pain gets the better of me!! Today was one of those days.
Thanks for your post!!
Hugs
Unread 10-27-2004, 07:11 AM

Oh do I know how you feel. Yes, adhesions can cause cramping if they are connected to the colon. I just had lysis of adhesion (2nd time) 3 1/2 weeks ago and I had horrible low left sided pain and cramping all the way up to my belly button. I don't have any parts left either. He made me see a urologist, he said I didn't have the symptoms of cystitis, he made me see a GI...attempted a colonoscopy--had to have anesthesia come knock me completely out because when he got part way up I started screaming. It hurt so bad, he couldn't even get through to see my entire colon (he even used a pediatric scope). The adhesions had twisted my colon causing the cramps. In one spot he said that the bladder, large colon, small colon and vaginal cuff were all connected in addition to the rest. Now here I am going to make another appointment, my pain is back :-(
Exactly in the same place, he even used the "film". I don't want another surgery. I have had 4 total in a year. I would rather take pills than think this is going to fix it, only to be disappointed a month later.
I sat here yesterday, researching the web due to frustration (actually I was honkerblonked off the pain was back)
There is a website, if you suspect or have had adhesions, or still have them: adhesions.org
A lot of stories in there just like mine.
I am calling the doc today to see if I can get in today. I will keep you updated. I know how you feel about another surgery. I will be paying the bills forever. Mine totalled about 5,000 dollars, but we only pay 40 bucks a month, and there is nothing they can do about it.
But you need to go to the doc, you know that.
Let us know. Good luck.
Unread 10-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Thank-you!!

Dear Marian,

I'm sorry that you have gone through such a hard time but at the same time it makes me feel good to know that I'm not the only one. I printed out all your symptoms and I will take it to my urologist on Monday. I also read it to my husband!
Sometimes would feel like maybe it was all in my head!! But the pain is so bad at times that I know I could not be making it up!
All my pain in on the left side and sometimes is so bad that my left leg gives out. I also have lots of cramping(almost like my bad menstural cramps)and lower back pain. When they did my pelvic ultra sounds they said that I had a lot of adhesions but that there was not much that he could recomend besides surgery again and he said he would not recomend that. They get you so discoraged sometimes that you start second guessing yourself.
Thank-you so very much for sharing your info!
My appoinment is on Monday and I will keep you informed as to what the urologist says to me.
We just have to pray and hang in there and stick to eachother for support!
Lots of Hugs
Maria
Unread 10-27-2004, 04:56 PM

Yes Maria---it is good to know that you are not alone in this battle. This site has been a God send this past year. I went to my OB/GYN and he said that it sounds like the adhesions ( again) and that he couldn't do anymore for me. He is sending me to a gyno oncologist that doesn't do just cancer, he specializes in difficult GYN cases. I think that is me..lol He said he should be able to manage my care, if not, he will know who can. I sure hope so. After my appt and horrible pelvic exam, I drove to my PCP's office to give them the info to get the referral. She saw me in the waiting room and knew something wasn't right. she pulled me into her office and I just broke down and cried for about 30 minutes. Boy did that feel good. I told her that I really needed that, she told me that I should open up to DH, but he is now working 70 hrs week to cover our bills since I have been out of work. He is stressed enough without me crying on his shoulder all the time. She said you have been dealing with all this pain all this time and put me on this new antidepressant called Cymbalta. She said it really sounds like I need it. I know I do. It has 2 different kinds of medicine in it that also help to increase pain threshold which is a bonus. How well, I don't know, but I am willing to try it. I am back on Percocet and have my appt next wednesday with this new doc.
It is really good to know that you are not alone Maria. I was telling my mom how many posts are on adhesions following GYN surgery. I am a nurse and have taken care of patients after adhesion surgery, but it is really amazing all the people here.
I don't want another surgery, but I don't want to be doped up all day, but it has to be one way or another. If I have another surgery, I am afraid it will come back again---and at what cost?
Now I will have another one if it obstructs my bowel or bladder, but I think that might be the only way.
Good luck, please do keep me posted as I will you.
Unread 10-29-2004, 08:50 AM

I've posted on the post-op site several times about my situation. I'm 10 wks, post op, going on 11 and have had pains not felt prior to surgery. Urologist (after 3 visits and a cystascope) told me this past Tues. that it looks like adhesions. My gyn told me 6 wks ago that any more diagnostic or exploratory tests could result in a colostomy...talk about freakin' me out! of course that would scare any normal person, so, here i am, taking HRT (cenestin), elavil, to help with the pain/nerves and lexapro for depression (mild association with current environment). I usually do not take anti-depressants but figured I'd need them with Hurricane Ivan, my daughter's weddinga nd upcoming surgery.

Sometimes it seems like no one has the answer. I'm a Christian and believe in the power of prayer and all that, but sometimes a person can only stand so much pain. I haven't had a pain-free day since June. When I type this out, I'm thinking, no wonder I feel like I do....! We all need to hang in there, talk openly with our friends, doctors and try to get the best answers. I'm wondering who to believe at this point? OH well, not to be negative...so, lets hope and pray that everyone has a great weekend!
Unread 10-30-2004, 10:32 AM

TWhite-
Yes you are right, sometimes praying is all we can do and believe me I do it a lot! Not just for me, but for my "sisters" who seem to be suffering the same as me.
I was on antidepressants right after my surgery in November, because even though my husband was "fixed" and we weren't planning on having anymore children, the fact was that I no longer could have any more children. I had stopped them in the spring and then thought about going back on them in June when I started having pain again. Then after this last surgery---no adhesion pain for 4 weeks. I was so happy and thought I was done with all of this. So when the pain came back in the exact same spot and the doc said "are you sure?" I wanted to scream. Yes I am sure! The thought of having this pain all the time, was all I could bare.
We have to seek support wherever we can find it and pray, pray, pray.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register