Abdominal binder?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal binder?? Abdominal binder??

Unread 12-29-2000, 11:52 AM
Abdominal binder??

Hello Ladies,

Have a question about the abdominal binder that a few of you say that you have to ask your doc for after surgery.

1- Why do we need one?
2- What exactly is it; like how is it made?
3- How long do you need to wear it?
4- Can you purchase something similar at your local pharmacy?

Well thank you in advance for your replies. This site is just what every LIW needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2000, 12:06 PM
Abdominal binder??

I purchased an abdominal binder from a local pharmacy that carried surgical supplies. I had a c-section with my daughter 19 years ago and used a panty girdle for extra support. I thought that I would appreciate that extra support after my abdominal hysterectomy also but I found out that I was more comfortable without it. I never ended up using my binder but, then again, I have heard that many women swear by it.

Ask your doctor if you can get one in the hospital if you want one. If that isn't possible and you don't want to purchase one, you may want to get a light weight panty girdle to try. It can offer extra support and comfort. It's always better to have it in case you'd like to try it.

Best wishes to you for a quick recovery! Happy New Year.

Unread 12-29-2000, 01:55 PM
Abdominal binder??

A binder is like a big piece of elastic, with velcro closure. They come in size ranges, and it is best to get one that goes way big for you because for the first week or two there will be swelling and you will want it loose. I started making mine tighter at about 10 days, and JJ is right, they can be uncomfortable. I found at times I got nauseated when wearing it too tight, but when I had pain, or was tired at the end of the day, or had to go out, I had it on. It eased the pain from the abdominal muscles being tired (after abdominal surgery), kept me from feeling tired and fatigued because IT held up the muscles, not me, and gave me the strength to walk around a bit, or sit comfortably in a movie as well as keeping clothing from rubbing on the incision site which irritated. I usually wore it over my pants, and under a long blouse. That way if I wished to take it off while out I could without too much trouble, and it did not feel scratchy on my skin (velcro ya know.)

I had jokingly asked the doc before surgery about cutting out fat cells while he was in there, and he said no, that would require a binder afterwards, and he did not want anything tight over the surgical site, it delayed healing. Two different treatments for two different kinds of surgery. I was really surprised when the day of surgery the nurses were talking about something, and decided it was too big. I did not know what, until the next am when the doc took off the bandage, and having no bandage to replace it, and wanting to put something over the weeping wound grabbed a WAY BIG binder, put a few paper towels under it, and put it on me. He told me to have the nurses properly bandage me when they came in. (took 9 hours to talk one into that, "The doctor bandaged you this way (paper towel) he must have wanted it done this way!" Ahahaha) Well, the velcro goes way smaller than the biggest area, and I have about a 12 inch overlap, but I don't mind. I was glad to have it, it cut down on pain when walking, freed me from feeling the need to hold my abdomen, and made me feel more confident. My suggestion would be to get one if you can, and then if you find it uncomfortable you don't have to use it. At 9 weeks, I still use mine sometimes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2000, 03:01 PM
binder

The hospital had one on me after the TAH and I wore it home. I wear mine constantly. It just seems to add needed support. I sleep with it on as I did while in the hospital. It is a big piece of wrap around elastic and I can make it as tight or loose as I want it. I suppose I could go without it but I figure if the hospital put it on right away, I'd keep it on. Neither the doctor nor the hospital said anything about how long to wear it. I think it is kind of up to you and your personal preference. When I went to see the doctor last week I had it on and he didn't say anything about not wearing it.
Unread 12-29-2000, 05:27 PM
Abdominal binder??

Before I was discharged, my dr. recommended something to hold the tummy. I started wearing one the day after coming home from the hospital (day 4 post op) and it made a HUGE difference!! Dh went to local drug store and got a TruFit back brace. It's very soft and flexible, one size fits all, and adjustable. Not expensive either. I wear it backwards during the day, adjusting the straps as needed. I do not wear it at night. The extra plus for me is that my two year old calls it my bandaid and it reminds him to be extra gentle around me. My son starts back to daycare next week and I will start trying to wean off of it, just like all the pain meds. That will be the 3 week post op mark.

Good luck to you!

Steph
Unread 12-29-2000, 05:51 PM
three weeks post op and still wear binder

Hi KitKat,

While I was in the hospital the dr. ordered a binder for me. I love it. It holds my tummy together. I'm just starting to wean off of it. For the first two weeks I wore it 24/7. Now I just wear it during the day. It made me feel much more comfortable, an added support. It's better to have it and not use it, then to need one and not have it. Good luck.

Janis
Unread 12-29-2000, 06:20 PM
Abdominal binder??

Kitkat - I had tah/bso 3/22 and did not wear a tummy binder. I wanted my abdominal muscles to start working slowly from the very beginning. Discuss with your gyn. Some women use them..some don't.
Unread 12-29-2000, 09:24 PM
Abdominal binder??

I see my new surgeon on the 22 of Jan. and I will ask him about the use of the binder. Thank you so much for your answers. It is one less thing that I have to worry about. Now all I need is getting a date for the surgery.

TVH with bladder suspension and rectocele repair
Date??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register