Am I expecting too much or doing too much? Groans! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I expecting too much or doing too much? Groans! Am I expecting too much or doing too much? Groans!

Unread 10-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Am I expecting too much or doing too much? Groans!

Maybe I am expecting too much, but I really thought I'd be feeling much better by now. I had my RSO, lysis of adhesions and mesh placed laprascopically a week ago yesterday. I am taking Lodine (which is a Rx NSAID) twice daily and Lortab 5 mg 4 times a day (and that doesn't even cut it at times). I am really, really sore under the incision on the left and I feel a pulling there (not from pelvic bone to hip like before but it's still a pulling.)

I go back to my gyn for a post op appointment on November 3rd. Really the only instructions I got when I left the castle was lots of rest, short walks and not much else until I had my post op. I've worked 1/2 days the last 3 days, but basically my job is lots of sitting and short walks (to the printer room and back). There is no lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. involved. I go home and don't do much of anything (DBF and kids have been doing laundry, cooking, dishes, etc.)

How long does it take to heal from this type of surgery???? And am I going to have to wait 6 weeks before having intercourse again? Isn't that pitiful....me saying I feel crummy then wandering how long before I can have sex? It's just been a while.

On a side note: I have had NO back pain since the surgery. Maybe the adhesions were causing some of the pain. Maybe the pain meds I'm taking for post op pain are finally getting rid of it. Who knows, but I am so greatful for the relief in that area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2004, 12:16 PM

In a word - "yes"

Give yourself time ((((Sweetie))) its ONLY been a week. Your doctor said to not do much until your post op and you are back at work 1/2 days.

Just the effort of getting up and getting yourself ready for work could be a stretch this early in your recovery. Sitting is an activity, dear.

Listen to your body. If you are having break through pain with the meds you are on, you need to slow it down somehow.

Also, I urge you to call your doctor and fess up. If the reality is that you have to work 1/2 days, maybe your doctor can help you work within that reality.

You know I am only fussing at you because I care. Now, behave!

Unread 10-29-2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks (((Michelle)))! I am planning a weekend of doing NOTHING except reading and resting. I just want to be over this and on with my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2004, 04:22 PM

(((billsweetie)))
I agree with Michelle, yes you are expecting too much. Surgery, is surgery and what I have found is that with each successive surgery I've had it takes me longer to heal. I had a lap a few years ago just to explore, the doc didn't even do anything, just looked and I was sore for weeks!

Hang in there, get some R&R and pamper the

Unread 10-29-2004, 06:18 PM

As a fellow adhesion sufferer, I looked on the website adhesions.org..and they say that sitting is very bad for adhesion related pain ( as I sit here watching the clock for my next pill..hehe)
Unread 11-02-2004, 10:14 AM

I'm glad I read this thread. I have had my ob/gyn and urologist tell me my pain is "adhesions". Did you all go back, after your hysterectomy, and have work done for the adhesions? My ob/gyn has told me she is afraid that any more surgery(ies) would result in a colostomy. Scare tactic for sure but I'm 2+ mos post op and still having pain and am now being prescribed Elavil for pain management. What were your circumstances? if you don't mind sharing. Thanks, Trying to decide whatto do?
Unread 11-02-2004, 11:33 AM

I have had 2 surgeries to remove adhesions and had the suprafilm placed with this last one. Was pain free (except incision pain) for 4 weeks and now I am having the same adhesion pain again. My OB/GYN is sending me to a gyn oncologist who not only deals with GYN cancer, but difficult cases and hopefully pain management.
TWhite- I can't believe that your doc only put you on Elavil.
I have taken that before when my back went out years ago and it didn;t do a thing for me, I hope it works for you.
My GYN put me on another type of antidepressant to help wiht the depression but also to increase my pain threshhold. It has worked with t he depression, but my pain hasn't changed and I am still having to take Percs that barely take the edge off. That is what I am afraid of, is going on some strong meds, but I can't take this pain anymore. I know unless my bowel becomes obstructed, I don't think I will have surgery again, it has failed me twice.
Unread 11-02-2004, 12:53 PM

I can't get any more percocet. the elavil is supposed to suppress nerve messages to my brain (ha!) that my pelvic area is hurting...etc.

I did call the ob/gyn and get a script for lortabs, but eventually no one will be able to give me pain.

ex: today, its either stress or something I ate, my stomach is upset (running to the bathroom) I'm dying! My tummy hurts and all over with no relief...unless I want to use my pain meds.

well, all of these threads give me something to really think about. i hear all different opinions. thanks for contributing.
Unread 11-02-2004, 02:08 PM

I had a TAH/LSO in Oct. 2002 and felt the tugging sensation in my lower left abdomen from about 6 weeks on. That is where they found adhesions during my surgery a few weeks ago. They used mesh as a barrier. I had other issues which they gyn felt were caused by the return of endo. No surprise to me that she found active endo on my right ovary despite 6 months of Lupron and 6 weeks of bc pills. I'm still very early post op from this surgery so can't really tell how things will go long term. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

As far as Elavil goes, I have been on it for 2+ years for chronic pain (started at 50 mg, then went to 100mg, now back at 50mg). It has greatly improved my sleep patterns, but I wouldn't say that it did a whole lot for the pain itself. Maybe you will have different results. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register