Help... Confused, frustrated & very upset!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help... Confused, frustrated & very upset!!! Help... Confused, frustrated & very upset!!!

Unread 10-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Help... Confused, frustrated & very upset!!!

I spoke with my GYN's nurse today at 2:30 she stated they have me tentitivly set for surgery on Thursday 11/18 at 3 pm and that I would be able to go home on friday and return to work on monday. Am I loosing it, or will I really be fine and able to return to work on Monday to spend 8 hours in a desk, getting up bending to file papers ??? The doctor said on Monday when I talked to him that I would be in the hosptial for 2 nights because of the incisions because he can't do it vaginally and would have to make to bigger incisions or possible one big on.... I am just admazed on how I would be at work on Monday with ovaries both & endo & adheasions moved on The Thursday before.
Can some one help me understand?

Off Course this is only if the surgery is needed based apon the pain managment doctor that I was told I have to see on the 16th. I guess they want him to do some sort of injections & I was told to have a driver & not eat anything 6 hrs before.

I thought it was my choice what I wanted to do.... I thought from my GYN's words that this was a major surgery and i would be laid up for a while... I just don't understand...

If it where my choice I feel I want atleast the left ovary removed & all the endo cleaned up, if the right ovarie looked bad then take it too, but if not lets keep it. I guess I don't have a choice, and it looks like it will be a last min. choice by the GYN & Pain Doctor.

DH is going to be mad at me, he wants them to get the surgery done so that I start feeling better, my work wants them to get the surgery done so i feel better.

I know DH is going to tell me to take it as it comes, but i can't I have to have a plan, with out a plan that I understand I am uncomfterble. Sorry for rambling, I just need to vent.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2004, 04:19 PM

(((Kim)))
Perhaps you misunderstood??? I can't imagine a doctor doing an open incision and telling you that you could return to work the following week. That is crazy! Maybe his nurse is mixed up??

I would call and ask to speak directly to the gyn. This is just my worth, but having gone thru what I have gone thru these last 10 years, there is no way in heck that I would be going back to work so soon. I have learned my lessons the hard way, you only have one chance to heal properly and I think you definetly would need more time than just a few days, ALOT more time.

Hang in there Kim, you will make the right decision for you. No one else, including your dh and co-workers can make that decision for you. While they can sympathize, they're not you and aren't living the pain sweetie.
Unread 10-29-2004, 06:16 PM

I agree KimM...even if it was a lap...that is way too early.
I would speak with the doc directly. heck with my last surgery, one nurse kept asking me about vaginal bleeding the entire shift, finally after I was getting "irritated" I told her that I had lysis of adhesions, not a hyst!
Also---even if he SAID that you can go back on Monday doesn't mean you HAVE to. Pay attention to your body, you know when you are pushing it.
Let us know what the doc said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2004, 08:18 PM

I wish I misunderstood.... I questioned her & she said that it was not a major surgery like a Hyst. This left me very puzzeled... I am just puzzeled about the hole thing. I sure hope the nurse mixed up. When DH & I talked to her about scheduling surgery she said at first that it would be the 1st or 2nd thursday of Dec, but that I would be laid up for the holiday, which I said was fine. I just don't understand how things changed within 4 days.

When I questioned her she said she would try to remember to speak with the doctor on Monday to double check. She said that they would do it vaginaly & I had to remind her that I had a Hyst so they couldn't, she just makes me so nervous & upsets me so easly on the phone, but in person she is so calm & collective.

Can anyone please tell me what I am going to be dealing with at pain managment? I know very little... I don't know how they are going to know if pain managment is going to work in 2 days? I am totally scared to death about pain managment...

Kim
Unread 10-29-2004, 09:34 PM

Kim,
I'm not sure how they will know in two days time if pain mgmt is going to help. If you're having injections it can take some time to work. I've been in pain mgmt for a few years now and it wasn't an overnight process.

I find this all very puzzling. Why send you to pain mgmt 2 days before surgery??? I think you need to talk directly with the doctor. If he doesn't provide some CLEAR answers for you, my suggestion would be to find a new doctor.

Unread 10-30-2004, 12:09 PM
HI

Hi Kim,
I have to agree with Kim M. here. How can anyone possibly know in two days how pain management is going??? They also have to schedule things at the hosptial, so you will be on the schedule before you even try pain management!!! Please, call that nurse back and tell her you NEED to talk to the DR. before you go any further, or any plans are made! I can understand if they are hoping to do a lap, and it MIGHT turn into an incision, that they may not know the answers until they get in there but someone has to have a plan!!! I can see why you are so frustrated! Unfortunatly, all of us on the road seem to get this way. You take one step forward and are pushed two steps back! Good Luck to you, Kim, and let us know how you make out.
Unread 10-31-2004, 12:20 PM

Kim,
This is just my opinion but,
I agree with everyone else- two days is not long enough! Before my hysterectomy, I had a laperoscopy (sp?) and just for that, I took the weekend and two additional days.

If it is possible for you, I would take at least a few more days off. Anything like this is invasive and our bodies need time to recover from that.

I would do what feels right for you afterward. If you plan for more time and find yourself feeling up to returning sooner, great.

But if not, you won't have put the additional pressure on yourself to be back to business as usual sooner than you need to.
Unread 10-31-2004, 05:40 PM

Kim,
I had the same thing done on August 5th that you are going to have done and I was out of work for 5 1/2 wks - tried to go back at 4 wks, but couldn't. I would recheck with the Dr - maybe the nurse had you comfused with another patient. There wasn't anyway that I was in any shape to go back that Monday - I couldn't even sleep in my own bed (the recliner and I became best friends). My stitches were taken out 1 wk after my surgery and that was when I could finally sleep in my bed. Good luck and take care of yourself.
s
Ellen

TAH 6/24/2000 for endo & adhesions, BSO 8/5/2004 for endo & adhesions.
Unread 11-01-2004, 05:16 AM

Thank you all... I plan on calling the office back this morning and asking to speak with the doctor if possible. It has bugged me all weekend because it just does not add up to me. I mean, why do pain manamgment & then have surgery set for two days latter?

I am also conserned about how fast the nurse said I would be back to work... I had a lap about 2 1/2 yrs ago & was out for 2 weeks came back for a day & was out for another week. For my LAVH 15 months ago I was out for 6 weeks and it was a real push for me when I returned.

My manager at work is very stricit on days off. I have two days left for the year and am so afraid with all the appointments the GYN's offices is sending me to that I am going to run out of time. If I do that could very well mean I lose my job. (DH and I are closing on our property in two weeks as well & I will have to take some time off for that).

I went to one of the managers on friday & explained my consern because I was so upset, (our team has two managers, my dirrect manager was off) and she told me policy is when you use up your time, your done... I know when I had kidney stones when I first started w/ the company I was out for a week, & only had two days of personal time, I was advised my manager not to worrie & rest. It just buggs my how the mangers per deparment verry around this company.

I will keep you all posted, and DH says thanks to you all for trying to help calm be down.

Kim
Unread 11-01-2004, 06:25 AM

Kim I have had both scopes and bikini incisions . But even with the lap I think you might need at least afew days off . Two ? hmm if it were strictly a desk job maybe but i can forsee you wil be dragged into other chores at the job . Drs letter ? would that help ? I know here the employers have to accept a Drs letter

Isnt there some law against firing an employee because of medical grounds / or could you be allowed no pay leave ?

mei

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register