Will things change between end of week 3 and end of week 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will things change between end of week 3 and end of week 4 Will things change between end of week 3 and end of week 4

Unread 12-30-2000, 06:51 AM
Will things change between end of week 3 and end of week 4

I'm wondering if you recall any point/certain week when you noticed a change in how much discomfort you had following a TAH. I'm 3 weeks post op Monday the 1st. I'm getting concerned and hoping I notice some difference by the end of 4 weeks(Jan 8th). I am hoping to work on the 15th and 16th (half day each and I just sit). But most concerned as my hubby has surgery on the 17th. Do you think something will give in the next week or 10 days and I'll notice any change? My recovery has been good with no problems. It's just that the abdominal discomfort/pain is still there, I walk at a snails pace and can't imagine driving at this point. It is indeed a slow process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2000, 08:08 AM

I will be 9 weeks post-op on Tuesday the 2nd from my TAH which was on 10/31. I remember that week 3 was probably the worse. I called a friend who had a TAH in May and had told me that I would feel better by week 3, and told her she had lied to me. However, I did feel better by week 4 and did begin driving then, but short local distances. You will find that each week it does get better. I did not return to work until week 8. I still have days where I feel many twinges and my belly swells alot by the end of the day.

I'm sure that by the time your husband has his surgery, you will be feeling much better.

Just remember to take it easy and give yourself time to recover.

Unread 12-30-2000, 08:28 AM
Everyone is different -- but week 4 was better for me

Hi Saraleah,
I am going on 11 weeks post op. I, too, recall that week 3 was worse than I expected. I felt that every day I improved , though, and week 4 was much better for me. I returned to work at 4 1/2 weeks for 1/2 days. It was Thanksgiving week, so I only had to work 3 days with a 4 day weekend. I did okay with that, but I really think I should have waited another week before returning to work. I was very tired and sore. I went back full time at 5 1/2 weeks, and was still tired, but better. I was amazed at how different sitting at work felt, versus sitting at home. Week 6 really was sort of a magic number for me -- I felt MUCH better then.

It all depends on how YOU are healing. Everyone is different. What kind of surgery is your husband having? Will he need a lot of care? Can someone in your family help out if you're not feeling up to it? If you're not up to driving by then, can someone help you and your husband to the hospital and back? You don't want to push yourself if your body is not ready. But 10 days made a big difference in my recovery. Best wishes to you and your husband!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2000, 08:48 AM
silly bee.......about hubby.

it is prostrate surgery. He will be in the hospital 4-5 days. I should be albe to drive by then. The day of surgery, I already told him that I don't know if I can make it much beyond when he gets back to his room. It will be a long day for me. I will come home and get onto the couch and the kids can go to the hospital later that afternoon and evening. We will need help if we gets lots of snow as I won't be able to run the snow blower, shovel. Other wise it is hard for me to know, how I will feel. That is why I'm concerned. While he is in the hospital I will just visit and come home and do nothing. That will be at the end of week 5 and I should be able to manage. By time he comes home, I should be 6 weeks post.
Unread 12-30-2000, 09:02 AM

Yes, Saraleah, for me week three was the worst week of all. I think a lot of the numbness leaves and I began to feel discomfort, no pain, more. Now the bm's did get easier the third week. I think you start moving around more the third week, so therefore more discomfort. Week four is when I started going out and trying to do a little shopping and coming home exhausted after an hour or more. But week five was the turning point when finally some of the swelling left and I started feeling much much better, with more energy. I was six weeks post-op yesterday from a TAH-BSO on 11-17 and I can now walk up to a mile at a time (I was an avid walker before), and really feel like doing more but I am taking it slow, adding a little each day. I still have some swelling but not like before and overall feel much stronger. But everyone does heal differently. Some women talk about bleeding, which I have not had any, and discharge, which I have had a time or two but nothing to speak of. My six week post-op appointment is Tuesday so I am looking forward to a good report.

Here is wishing you a speedy recovery and good luck on your husband's surgery.
Unread 12-30-2000, 10:44 AM

I was glad to read these posts. I'm at 3 and 1/2 weeks post-op and it's been a hard week--really sore and tired. I'd hoped to start doing some work (at home, on the computer) this week, but have spent most of my time on the sofa instead. Hearing that others found week 3 to be tough helped provide a much needed comparison.

Thanks!

Renny
Unread 12-30-2000, 11:35 AM

Hi Ladies,

A Dr. of one of our hostesses that performs over 20 hysts a weeks explains that you're only 40% healed at 6 weeks, and total healing takes at least 6 months to a year. Yes, this is very slow healing, but a TAH is MAJOR surgery, and I don't want you all to have unrealistic expectations about your recovery as I did before I found this site at 3 weeks post-op. I hope this helps explain why you are feeling the way you do. You will have some ups and downs along the way.

About returning to work and other such things, remember that SITTING is an ACTIVITY, and puts undue pressure on your incision and countless internal stitches. That is why returning to work to a "sitting" job is often not as easy as sisters think it will be. Please rest a lot with your feet UP.

Please listen to your body and give it every chance to heal properly...you only have one shot at it! At almost 6 months post-TAH, I still have some tenderness and swelling. I have had good experience with exercise by resuming it very gradually.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 12-30-2000, 12:36 PM

I was given the okay to drive after staple removal at 2 weeks but only for short distances. I didn't actually try it until week 3 and then just to the store about a mile away. I also began daily 15 min. walks at week 2 and felt silly taking those little baby steps but now at week 4 I am walking at full stride and almost back to my pre-op speed. It's amazing how each week it does get noticeably better. I drive further now but only if the roads are clear. I still don't trust my reaction time on snow covered roads. As for returning to work I am not allowed to for 3 months but I am a landscaper and the work is very physical. Usually I work in a greenhouse during the winter but I still don't feel up to that as it is on your feet and bending alot over the benches. I was thinking I'd try it after week 6 and see how it feels. I find that I no longer need the afternoon nap this week, at least not everyday! Week 3 I had more pain than right afterwards and I understand that is normal. Healing inside has begun and the incision is sensitive to touch. I read that usually you are given the okay to resume sex at week 6 but more healing will have to occur in the next 2 weeks for me to even consider trying it! It was 4 weeks on Friday and I have to admit that I dreaded this month back in November but it has gone amazingly fast. A good reminder for me that everything passes, even those things you don't look forward to. Happy healing to all!
Mag
SAH Dec.1st for fibroids the size of my head!
Unread 12-31-2000, 08:54 PM

i am glad to hear all of these stories... i am 3 weeks post op.. TAH.... my incision is beginning to tear open.. i think it may be due to the activities i have been doing... i have been jumping in my car and driving to the store and shopping everyday for the past 5 days... getting in and out of the car is now getting more painful.. needless to say my mom and my husband have now restricted me from unecessary activities.... so dont do too much too fast because you will end up reinjuring yourself and prolonging the healing process... unfortunately i found this out the hard way..... good luck to all...
Unread 12-31-2000, 10:10 PM

Saraleah, when you check hubby into the hospital, tell the nurses that you are recovering from your own surgery,and you need some help. Ask them for one of the hospital recliners. They have them in patient rooms for the patients, and are on wheels. They can find you one, but request it early! They will bring it to the waiting room for you, or if hubby is already assigned a room, you may be able to go wait there. In our hospital they give you a pager so they can page you when the doc comes out of surgery to talk to you, and that would work even if you were in hubby's room. USE IT. put your feet up, and rest, sleep if you can, or read a book. That way you will be there when hubby wakes up, and will still have some strength left. How old are your kiddies? If they are over 9, they can work a snow shovel. I did, my brothers and sisters did. Hide the blower, and get the shovel out. Put the kids to work!

You should start to feel better each day after 3 weeks. By 6 weeks pain will be a memory (or at least the BAD pain) and you will just feel a bit tired. You wil want naps, but will survive if you can't have them.

Good luck to the hubby and you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register