Shaving | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-31-2004, 02:16 AM
Shaving

Hi hystersisters

I am having a TAH on the 8th November 2004. I was wondering about shaving down below. I had a laporoscopy and a hysteroscopy in August but didn't need to shave for that. Do they still want you to shave? Will they do it for you?

Thanks for all replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2004, 03:42 AM
Shaving

I had a severe bikini wax prior to the TAH and they said it would suffice but to my horror I noticed that they had shaved me while under anaesthetic.

It's not too severe but would have preferred to go without it!
Unread 10-31-2004, 04:28 AM
Shaving

Hi Traciejane;
You should NOT shave yourself before your surgery. The reason is infection. If you cut yourself there is a high risk.
They will shave you in the operating room or maybe even the pre-op room. I was shaved when I was in the operating room and out. I don't remember them shaving me anyway.
I had a vertical incison and they only shaved the top part.
I have seen where some ladies got the okay from their doctor to shave but, unless your doctor says you can, DO NOT SHAVE!

Take care and best wishes to you!

Sybie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2004, 06:41 AM
shaving

To both of you

Thanks for the advice. I will leave well alone and let them do it.
Unread 10-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Shaving

I was absolutely shocked Friday at my preop when my dr said to go ahead and shave the top section myself. He said that the OR razors were usually not as good and I could get nicked if they do it in OR. So , I guess that I will trim some Tues night before surgery. Cant see myself doing it at 5;00 am Wed morning. I also have no bowel prep YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

do whatever your dr orders is all I can say, I have never been told before this surgery to shave myself.
good luck
missy
Unread 10-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Shaving

In germany the nurses shave you (dry shave - razor burn city! OUCH) in your room before you are moved to the pre-op room. So, after numerous surgeries - I have learned to shave myself the day before or the morning of - saves the razor burn. For my TAH - I shaved myself the day before, and took a quick shower (was in hosp for the day before) before and did a "touch up" shave.

They did not need to do more.

But - I know that some US hosps shave you when you are in pre-op already out of it - so I would ask your doc, and if you feel more comfortable doing it yourself - then ask if you can.

Best of luck!
s
Julia
Unread 10-31-2004, 10:28 AM
Shaving

Hi Traciejane

I had a vertical cut and they only shaved a very small bit from the top while I was unconscious. I'd leave well alone if I was you and let them sort you out!

Good luck for the 8th
Unread 10-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Shaving

Do they shave you if you're having LAVH? Here I am not worried at all about the hyst but totally embarrassed and appalled about possiby being shaved! How weird is that?

Chris
Unread 10-31-2004, 11:33 AM
Shaving

I shaved that morning at 2 then went I got at the hospital at 3:30 in the am they got after me with a noisy little electric shaver with disposable heads. I didn't have a bowel prep the night before but they gave me an oldfashioned enima when I got there....eeeewwww in a bag with water and iodine and they used a long tube and the nurse sat there and told me she normally gave two bags but I was so small she bet I would only have to have 1. I thought I was going to die from the pain of that alone.
Unread 10-31-2004, 12:09 PM
Shaving

ok, so now you got me worried. Dr specifically said no bowel prep at home,,,,,,,, duh, i didnt ask about at the hospital. shoot, now i have a new one to worry about when i get there. Thank you so much LOL. oh well, not much i can do about it anyway

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register